Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Flexible Bulldog still relishing the challenge

Link

DEFENDERS who can quell the influence of mercurial small forwards one week and then find themselves pitted against monster key forwards the next are rare.

Fortunately for the Western Bulldogs, Dale Morris is one of that extraordinary breed, and a week after helping keep Adelaide star Eddie Betts goalless, he'll spend time on Sunday trying to negate the influence of Demon behemoth Jesse Hogan.

"I love it. I love the challenge of playing on short, quick guys and then the tall forwards who can take pack marks," Morris told AFL.com.au.

"You need to be versatile and you need to adapt. It's something I take great pride in - taking on whoever comes my way."

His debut off the rookie list back in round five, 2005 saw him keep Crows' great Andrew McLeod to just nine possessions, and since then Morris has held his own against All Australian key forwards like Nick Riewoldt, Matthew Pavlich and Jonathan Brown.

In the ultimate compliment, Brown went so far to say, "Morris is the type of player you hoped didn't come your way."

But with team defence all the rage in modern day football, the veteran seldom finds himself going head-to-head with an opponent for the whole game.

And the AFL's stingiest backline will once again employ its trademark communal approach in an attempt to curb Hogan's influence.

"I reckon Fletcher (Roberts) and I will be chopping and changing," said Morris.

"It will mainly be about team defence because we like to help each other and not leave anyone one-on-one.

"If the mids and forwards are doing their jobs up the field there won't be a heavy reliance on 'Fletch', Matthew Boyd, Easton Wood and myself."

While he's had to adapt to a new defensive mindset in the twilight of his career, the 2008 All Australian is reveling in Luke Beveridge's attacking plan.

Despite the need to take risks and be daring, the formerly dour backman is sitting ninth in the AFL for effective disposals per game.

"The majority of my career I've been a one-on-one player, and nowadays you really need to work on both defence and attack," Morris said.

"It goes to show it doesn’t matter how old you, are you can still improve in footy and I don't like to waste possessions because I don't get many of them.

"It's fun playing with a bit more adventure."

However, that newfound sense of adventure hasn't resulted in Morris ending his goal drought.

The last time the 207-game veteran kicked truly was in round seven, 2011.

"I've hit the post twice this year and for me to have two shots on goal is some sort of record," Morris joked.

"I think I've just got to get a bit closer to goal so I can make sure of it."

At 33, you'd think time might be running out to kick that elusive fourth career major, or add to his solitary Brownlow vote, but Morris isn't contemplating life after footy just yet.

"The body is feeling great and I put that down to our medical and fitness teams because they've been great looking after the older blokes," he said.

"I'll play on for as long as I can and as long as I'm playing my role for the team and contributing.

"However long that is, who knows?"
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks Eastdog thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flexible Bulldog still relishing the challenge

Probably up there with Grant as my all-time favourite Bulldog.

Absolute champion

4. Likes Testekill, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It's really easy to forget how hard a road he had to get on an AFL list. To be repeatedly overlooked, but encouraged to keep trying and to not let that get you down, 3 maybe 4 years in a row.
    Dale looked like a seasoned AFL player from day dot in his debut against Adelaide, where he played most of the game on Andrew McLeod and totally blanketed him.
    He has NEVER been dropped, and whilst his form dipped a little following recovery from his horrid broken leg, he has never really been bereft of form. A large part of this is that he plays every game with a fierceness of spirit, a desire to compete unlike any other Bulldog I've ever seen play.
    What then sets him apart, is that despite this maniacal tenacity, he is one of the fairest players I've ever seen. And he also come across as a lovely person.
    There have been more talented players, but I'm not sure there has ever been one with more commitment and focus than Dale.
    If there was one player I would want to play for my life it's Dale. You know he's going to die before he EVER contemplates giving up.
    Oh and a glance at his career stats, would affirm that his form right now, is as good as when he was at his statistical peak some 8 years ago.

6. Thanks hujsh, azabob thanked for this post
    Likes BornInDroopSt'54, N/A, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Probably up there with Grant as my all-time favourite Bulldog.

Absolute champion
    Me too. Jarrad probably just shades him though.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes soupman, Bulldog4life, Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Got it done again, today.

Just. Never. Loses.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Got it done again, today.

Just. Never. Loses.
    Even saw him outbody Hogan today. Modern marvel.

Post Thanks / Like

Even saw him outbody Hogan today. Modern marvel.
    That was just sensational.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Hotel Foxtrot View Post
    It's really easy to forget how hard a road he had to get on an AFL list. To be repeatedly overlooked, but encouraged to keep trying and to not let that get you down, 3 maybe 4 years in a row.
    Dale looked like a seasoned AFL player from day dot in his debut against Adelaide, where he played most of the game on Andrew McLeod and totally blanketed him.
    He has NEVER been dropped, and whilst his form dipped a little following recovery from his horrid broken leg, he has never really been bereft of form. A large part of this is that he plays every game with a fierceness of spirit, a desire to compete unlike any other Bulldog I've ever seen play.
    What then sets him apart, is that despite this maniacal tenacity, he is one of the fairest players I've ever seen. And he also come across as a lovely person.
    There have been more talented players, but I'm not sure there has ever been one with more commitment and focus than Dale.
    If there was one player I would want to play for my life it's Dale. You know he's going to die before he EVER contemplates giving up.
    Oh and a glance at his career stats, would affirm that his form right now, is as good as when he was at his statistical peak some 8 years ago.

Libba. Dale is good, I love Dale, but Libba was Libba and we will never see his like again. He was a freak.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

13. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

M. Boyd has to be close as well.

But Dale is a champ no doubt.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Have to say Dale has been sensational this year.

I thought he was on the downhill slope last year because of his age but really he needed that extra year
    to get over the broken leg and he has been at his very best this year.

The team defence has certainly made it easier than the 1 on 1 days but he's rarely beaten

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberdoggie View Post
    Have to say Dale has been sensational this year.

I thought he was on the downhill slope last year because of his age but really he needed that extra year
    to get over the broken leg and he has been at his very best this year.

The team defence has certainly made it easier than the 1 on 1 days but he's rarely beaten

That's what concerns me with Bob. It's not so much the knee or the time it takes to get it working again. It's all the ancillary problems that arise, the hamstrings, the loss of muscle mass, the time it takes to truly trust the new ligament. It's usually 6-8 months running around on the new knee before you are back to normal

Having said that Libba has strolled back into the team like he hasn't missed a game.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    That's what concerns me with Bob. It's not so much the knee or the time it takes to get it working again. It's all the ancillary problems that arise, the hamstrings, the loss of muscle mass, the time it takes to truly trust the new ligament. It's usually 6-8 months running around on the new knee before you are back to normal

Having said that Libba has strolled back into the team like he hasn't missed a game.
    His Surname is Liberatore though. Murph took a year to come good last time IIRC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post

I'd debate he had muscle mass to begin with

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Flexible Bulldog still relishing the challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I'd debate he had muscle mass to begin with
    Heh! When that ad comes on and the old duck says "then Bob intercepts, shimmys round an oppononent and drops it on his foot" my son says "I don't think the physios and surgeons would be very happy with Bob shimmieng and dropping things on his foot."

Post Thanks / Like

His Surname is Liberatore though. Murph took a year to come good last time IIRC.
    True, but Murphy has also commented he is so far ahead of where he was last time around due to modern medicine. Fingers crossed,.
    More of an In Bruges guy?