Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  120
Page 19 of 34 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade talk - Anyone we want that may be available?

Found this on the AFL website tracking status of all free agents this year:

http://www.afl.com.au/trade/free-agency
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Thanks Twodogs, KT31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    An article on afl.com.au from two weeks ago says that Dion Prestia is sitting down with his manager Marty Pask at the bye (next week) to discuss his future. If he leaves it will only be a Victorian club and he wants short term success. Time to call Marty?

Also said Hawthorn & Saints will make big offers to Jeager and that the dogs are into Nicholls. With Camhead doing its thing, I'm not sure we need to part with something decent which would be required for Nicholls.
    Despite the form of Roughead and Campbell I believe we still need to acquire an additional ruck option with Minson's pending departure. It would be a bit of a gamble but I'd be interested to see if a James Stewart might be viewed as that type of versatile player who could back up in a few positions for us including the ruck. He's put on some size this year. Nicholls might be harder to pry away from the Suns.

Could we get Zac Clarke and could we find him a spot in our side? I'm not convinced.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Despite the form of Roughead and Campbell I believe we still need to acquire an additional ruck option with Minson's pending departure. It would be a bit of a gamble but I'd be interested to see if a James Stewart might be viewed as that type of versatile player who could back up in a few positions for us including the ruck. He's put on some size this year. Nicholls might be harder to pry away from the Suns
    Zac Clarke is still an active free agent. But the comment is he won't move clubs to be still getting limited time, would it be a the same for Stewart. Nicholls would cost a fair bit, but the question is whether parting with a lot for a ruckman is the best spend of our trade currency?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Despite the form of Roughead and Campbell I believe we still need to acquire an additional ruck option with Minson's pending departure. It would be a bit of a gamble but I'd be interested to see if a James Stewart might be viewed as that type of versatile player who could back up in a few positions for us including the ruck. He's put on some size this year. Nicholls might be harder to pry away from the Suns.

Could we get Zac Clarke and could we find him a spot in our side? I'm not convinced.
    What's your opinion on Majak Daw? Could he do a job for us or we just going to add to the stockpile of players who can't kick?

I thought his game against Richmond last week was pretty good. We know he can kick a goal or two, although he isn't going to come up against Markovic and Austin every week, and he appears more competitive each time I see him.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    What's your opinion on Majak Daw? Could he do a job for us or we just going to add to the stockpile of players who can't kick?

I thought his game against Richmond last week was pretty good. We know he can kick a goal or two, although he isn't going to come up against Markovic and Austin every week, and he appears more competitive each time I see him.
    Are guys like Majak and Clarke going to consider us when realistically, they're behind Campbell and Rough anyway? We can't guarantee more game time than their current clubs so why would they leave to walk into the same predicament?
    Last edited by lemmon; 12-06-2016 at 09:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Majak might be a bit too one dimensional for our side. I think we could do better.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Are guys like Majak and Clarke going to consider us when realistically, they're behind Campbell and Rough anyway? We can't guarantee more game time than they're current clubs so why would they leave to walk into the same predicament?
    I think you're on the money and it might depend if we could convince Clarke that we had another position in mind for him and that he would be a back-up ruckman. I don't think he would be a good acquisition for us anyway

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are right. He doesn't really have that one thing he can do really well that every player needs these days. And he'd just be third in line.

We need a player that can jump into first in line. No point mucking about with list cloggers anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are right. He doesn't really have that one thing he can do really well that every player needs these days. And he'd just be third in line.

We need a player that can jump into first in line. No point mucking about with list cloggers anymore.
    He might be that type of player the Australian cricket selectors always try to play. An all-rounder that really isn't that great with the ball or the bat but you pray will put it all together or be that missing link. In the end they tend to just go missing.

Post Thanks / Like

He might be that type of player the Australian cricket selectors always try to play. An all-rounder that really isn't that great with the ball or the bat but you pray will put it all together or be that missing link. In the end they tend to just go missing.
    Without getting to far from the point the formula the Australian selectors have been using for a while now is 5 batsmen, a wicket keeper, 4 bowlers and a good bloke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Are guys like Majak and Clarke going to consider us when realistically, they're behind Campbell and Rough anyway? We can't guarantee more game time than they're current clubs so why would they leave to walk into the same predicament?
    Yes good summation. I would think a Free Agent would only be interested in going to a Club where there is a position for him in the firsts.

Post Thanks / Like

Is Lachie Neale they type of player we need and would you consider parting with our first round pick to get him?

Post Thanks / Like

Is Lachie Neale they type of player we need and would you consider parting with our first round pick to get him?
    He's in some form, and he's put contract talks off too hasn't he? With the huge increases to player movement, I wonder whether we might have a few potential a graders to go after (Prestia, Jaeger etc).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    He's in some form, and he's put contract talks off too hasn't he? With the huge increases to player movement, I wonder whether we might have a few potential a graders to go after (Prestia, Jaeger etc).
    Is he worth considering trading our first round pick for?

Post Thanks / Like

Is he worth considering trading our first round pick for?
    For sure. He's having a break out year.

I know I'm dead against trading future picks, but thinking about some names not resigning and the success we can offer I'd almost be tempted to do it. Neale, Mayes, Prestia, McStay and others (many GWS players) this year could be massive if we could land a couple of them. But I'm dead against trading future picks. I think...