Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  120
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Early Trade talk - Anyone we want that may be available?

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2016-05-11/2017-free-agents

Picken is our only free agent it seems. Good, as we have other things to focus on.
    Freo have the most free agents.
    I can't anyone in the list who would want to move clubs. Reid at Sydney is a chance, but would demand plenty of coin, and carries injuries.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see all the players that we want to retain on our list signed up first before we chase anyone else. An example is Koby Stevens. Not sure who else is in that category. Hopefully we have enough in the salary cap to keep all our current players happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Gold Coast pair join growing list of players putting contract talks on hold

GOLD Coast players Sam Day and Adam Saad have joined the long list of young Suns not yet prepared to sign new contracts at the club.

Saad’s management said on Tuesday he was considering his options as he weighed loyalty to the club with the pull of a return to Victoria.

Swingman Day is seen as more likely to commit to a new deal but is waiting until after the mid-season bye to consider his position.

The Suns are still battling to retain a trio of their best midfielders in Dion Prestia, David Swallow and Jaeger O’Meara, all out of contract at year’s end.

Prestia confirmed he was not yet ready to sit down with the club as an avalanche of Melbourne offers pour in.

His official line is that he will consider his future after the mid-season bye.

“My manager and the club are constantly in talks,’’ he said.

“I’m not there yet in my own expectations and form, so I’ll continue to build that and my manager will look after the contract talks with the club.

Saad has been one of the club’s most exciting defenders after being plucked from Coburg’s VFL side but falls out of contract this year.

His manager John Meesen said Saad loved the club but did feel homesick at times.

“He is out of contract and Gold Coast are keen to wrap that up at the moment. He is not sure what he’s going to do,’’ he said.

“He is pretty close with his family and grateful for the opportunity. He loves playing footy under Rocket (Rodney Eade) but he has found it difficult to be away from his family.

“The club are really understanding of him and let him stay longer in Melbourne on weekends and especially have been good during Ramadan.

“At this stage he hasn’t made a decision and if anything he is leaning towards staying. Gold Coast have put a good deal in front of us.”

Day was in excellent form as a key forward in the first month but injuries have pushed him into defence where he has battled away.

The Suns are eager to discuss a contract extension with him and while he is not yet ready to do so, he believes his career is progressing at the Suns.

As the club’s No. 3 selection in the 2010 national draft he has taken time to flourish and is likely to rebuff any interest from clubs at home in Adelaide.

O’Meara could be back within three weeks after making progress with his long-running patella tendinitis, while Swallow (knee bone bruising) is a few weeks behind him.

The Herald Sun revealed last week ruckman Tom Nicholls has Melbourne suitors including the Bulldogs, while small forward Brandon Matera also could request a trade.

He finally returned to a Suns team ravaged by injuries at the weekend and kicked three goals from 15 possessions.

Gary Ablett is in doubt for this weekend’s clash with Adelaide due to concussion.

But Prestia is staying optimistic through the tough times in the belief it will all be worth it in the long run.

“When we’re all back out there together, it’ll be a lot better than it has been in the past. That’s the way I’ll look at it,” he said.

Prestia also believes the top eight is not out of the question for the Suns — all they need is just one drought-breaking, confidence-boosting win to break them out of their slump.

“If we could just get one win and that could set us up for the rest of the year ... anything can happen,” Prestia said.

4. Thanks bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tomlinson another name mentioned
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Could the last one out switch off the light please?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

7. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tomlinson would be good, as would Nichols, May & Prestia as trades. Hurley & Watts as free agents would be good too.

Need to free up some cap, which surely has Minson going and perhaps Boyd if Murphy plays on. We might need to be prepared to move some ok players too. Could be a huge list management period to propel us up again.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I don't see what Nicholls brings that Campbell and Roughy aren't already. I think our ruck stocks are in a good place at the moment.

Tomlinson's an interesting one, talent but what do you do with him? I'd be tempted if he shows some more form as a half forward

Post Thanks / Like

According to those in the industry it would take a 5 year $4.5 to $5 million contract to convince Hurley to leave the Dons. Can't see us going down that path with Adams and Collins on our list.

Saad and Neale would be good additions at the right price.
    Footscray member since 1980.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    as per the opening post, rumors are that Lachie Neale would look favorably at a move to a Melbourne based club.

He's actually leading the AFL in possessions this year, but would be quite expensive which probably would rule us out.
    Neale is a good player but does he give us a significant point of difference to other smaller players we have on our list?
    He's been at Freo for 5 years and would add some experience to our younger list.

I wonder what we would have to part with?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Tomlinson would be good, as would Nichols, May & Prestia as trades. Hurley & Watts as free agents would be good too.

Need to free up some cap, which surely has Minson going and perhaps Boyd if Murphy plays on. We might need to be prepared to move some ok players too. Could be a huge list management period to propel us up again.
    I was hopeful we would make a play for him last season but given that we didn't I'd say it's a remote chance at best.
    His value might have dropped but it's unlikely.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I was hopeful we would make a play for him last season but given that we didn't I'd say it's a remote chance at best.
    His value might have dropped but it's unlikely.
    You were heavily into him when Griffen left, I'm yet to see anything to get that excited about. That said his form this year has been very solid. He's been holding more marks and hitting the scoreboard and has the ability to pinch hit in the ruck, he's young so as you would expect he goes missing for long periods. He's got talent, but is still a big unknown.

I'd grab him if he was interested in us but they'd want something better than what I'd be prepared to give up.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

This one is a bit out there, but Will Hoskin-Elliott from the Giants, he really has stalled compared to where he was at 2 years ago and is a genuine quality player who clearly needs a change.

Wouldn't cost us much and would be a fantastic addition to the squad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReLoad View Post
    This one is a bit out there, but Will Hoskin-Elliott from the Giants, he really has stalled compared to where he was at 2 years ago and is a genuine quality player who clearly needs a change.

Wouldn't cost us much and would be a fantastic addition to the squad.
    Yes please! I fear that they'll be terrible to deal with for the rest of my life after the Boyd scenario. Also worth considering is that they'll go hard on us knowing we will be their number 1 competition over the next 5 years.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom McDonald from Melbourne is out of contract. His form this year is ok, not as great as last year. Would cost a bit $$ wise but cheaper than Hurley.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

17. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Tom McDonald from Melbourne is out of contract. His form this year is ok, not as great as last year. Would cost a bit $$ wise but cheaper than Hurley.
    Would be a sensational get but he's the only decent key defender at Melbourne, so no chance they're giving him up.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.