Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Row over our Indig Jumper

The Aboriginal artists who designed the Western Bulldogs indigenous jumper say they have been exploited by the AFL and have refused to sign a licensing contract with the league saying it would remove their creative rights.
    The Ballarat-based Pitcha Makin' Fellas remain disillusioned their work has been undervalued by the AFL, which under its general jumper agreement has refused to financially compensate the group.
    Western Bulldogs jumper
    The Western Bulldogs jumper was designed by The Pitcha Makin' Fellas.
    Peter Widmer, the Ballarat artist who assists the six-man collective, said he planned to present the Bulldogs on Thursday with a revised contract, which he believed would be signed before the Bulldogs wore the guernseys onto the MCG on Sunday, taking on Collingwood, in the Sir Doug Nicholls indigenous round.
    Advertisement

Stressing the group had no issue with the Bulldogs, Widmer told Fairfax Media: "The contract they presented flies on the face of the AFL's Reconciliation Action Plan. The agreement they sent us is an AFL document and was not an agreement at all.
    "It undervalues the boys' great work, their copyrights, their moral rights and their creative rights. We've told the Doggies we're not happy with the contract — it came through the Doggies but it's from the AFL — and we're in the process of drawing up a contract we're happy with. We believe the AFL needs to alter the contract for the future to protect people's future rights."

The exclusive, breaking, sensational, earth shattering story is here.

When I checked Theage website, this was the top story. I am very disappointed they have since downgraded it to a minor story since then. Reuters should be notified immediately.

Seriously, I am fairly sure it doesn't really help future projects with this group if the club is bashed around in the media rather than given the chance to sort it out, which I have every confidence they will, if it is indeed our fault at all
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Row over our Indig Jumber

Back page of the Age with a picture of our jumper

Post Thanks / Like

If the AFL have stuffed up surely a priority pick is in order for potentially damaging the brand!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

4. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    If the AFL have stuffed up surely a priority pick is in order for potentially damaging the brand!
    And some cash and a salary cap increase.

Just treat us like an expansion team basically

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Just one, must be worth two at least.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

People wonder why I dislike Caroline Wilson. Case rested.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    People wonder why I dislike Caroline Wilson. Case rested.
    Mountain out of a mole hill, it will be sorted out.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    Just one, must be worth two at least.
    C'mon KT we're not the Demons!

Maybe one and a pick of all those on the list who didn't play for the AFL Giants on Sunday?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

10. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The issue is that the AFL contract requires the Pitcha Fellas to sign over the copyright of their art which they don't want to do. AFL's fault but our name has been dragged into it

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Row over our Indig Jumper

AFL's blunder in forging ahead with publicity, etc, before getting the contract signed. Smart move by the Pitcha Fellas and another example of lame management by the AFL.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

13. Likes MrMahatma liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Im Not Bitter View Post
    The issue is that the AFL contract requires the Pitcha Fellas to sign over the copyright of their art which they don't want to do. AFL's fault but our name has been dragged into it
    If the contract execution is facilitated by our club then unfortunately we're implicated fairly.

However, if we presented the contract and pointed out the inherent unfairness which is being claimed then we're clear. There's no use in getting upset with Caroline Wilson over this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    If the contract execution is facilitated by our club then unfortunately we're implicated fairly.

However, if we presented the contract and pointed out the inherent unfairness which is being claimed then we're clear. There's no use in getting upset with Caroline Wilson over this.
    AFL controls all jumper deals.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    AFL controls all jumper deals.
    Can you not see that it's bad management to engage a party to perform work, receive services, promote the output and then try to agree to commercial terms afterwards?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Can you not see that it's bad management to engage a party to perform work, receive services, promote the output and then try to agree to commercial terms afterwards?
    Yes I agree, I was just stating the obvious and not sure what the club can do.

Peter talks about the jumper here
    Last edited by bornadog; 27-05-2016 at 02:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter makes the point that the artist group has a problem with the AFL contract template.
    "We believe the AFL needs to alter the contract ( A template contract used for all designs, not just this one ) for the future to protect people's future rights." They are not asking us to change the contract.

How is it we are implicated fairly? I have a problem with this article being the top story on Theage or taking up prime real estate on the paper. I believe it was on the back page, and was also at the top of the website.
    It's a sly use of indigenous round to stir up attention.