Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Emerging Dogs forward comfortable living on the edge

link

THE PROSPECT of signing a fifth one-year deal in succession sits comfortably with Western Bulldogs key forward Jack Redpath.

The 25-year-old has lived on 'footy's edge' since he arrived at Whitten Oval via the 2012 NAB AFL Rookie Draft, and he's of the belief the pressure of yearly contracts is beneficial for his career.

"It might be a good thing because as long as I keep doing what I'm doing at the moment, I don't think there's going to be a problem there," Redpath told AFL.com.au.

"I don't think I have to worry about that (contract) stuff because I'm pretty happy with how I'm going at the moment, personally.

"There's going to be some special years to come (with the Bulldogs), so hopefully I can hang around because I'd love to be a part of that."

His ongoing battle to be a long-term AFL footballer didn't get off to great start this season, with the Kyneton product's form so patchy in the VFL that one outing reaped "only three touches".

Fortuitously for Redpath, an injury to fellow man mountain Tom Boyd, coupled with Luke Beveridge's desire to have a tall target to complement playmakers Jake Stringer and Luke Dahlhaus, allowed him to continue building on his sputtering AFL career against Adelaide in round seven.

While an impressive three-goal performance against the Crows assured him of a 16th League game the following week against Melbourne, Redpath's afternoon against the Demons netted another three goals, and frustratingly, a one-week ban for kneeing Ben Kennedy.

"It was probably one of those things where you have a rush of blood, and you can't get away with that because there are cameras everywhere," he said.

"So when you're watching on that's when you think you've let the boys down a little bit, so I just thought for however long I'm in the team I won't make a mistake like that again."

Summoned to the coach's office to explain his actions, Redpath left the meeting with Beveridge with some valuable advice and plenty of perspective.

"He just said 'When you play in this competition, you can't cross the line and you need to play the ball because it does hurt us when (you) make a silly mistake like that'," Redpath said.

"It hurts the team, not just myself."

While he acknowledges Beveridge has been a great support, Redpath speaks glowingly of the "massive impact" West Coast premiership forward Ash Hansen has had on his emergence as a footballer.

The Bulldogs' development coach has taught him – amongst other things – not to fret about his footballing future, but to expect the rewards that come with buying into a team-first approach.

"Ash was really big for me last year when I was worrying about getting back in the team rather than doing everything right first," Redpath said.

"He said I don't need to be a 200-game player, it's more important to play your role and things can happen."

And with Boyd set to be available this week after recovering from a shoulder injury, Redpath believes his chances of winning another contract won't be hurt if the 2013 No.1 pick develops into the dominant power forward many expect to him to become.

"Since Tom has been at the club I don't think either of us have been playing our best footy so we could play together," Redpath, who's kicked 29 career goals, said.

"I'd love to have another tall down there to help Jake (Stringer) and myself.

"I'm sure it could work."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A, Remi Moses, KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Emerging Dogs forward comfortable living on the edge

I would have no problem giving him a 2 year deal with Boyd the only other key forward on the list. We can't afford to lose big Red, even if he ends up becoming depth.

Post Thanks / Like

He is playing well just needs to keep it up. We haven't had stats like this from a big man for awhile:

2016 Games Log for Jack Redpath (Western Bulldogs)
    Description Date Opponent Result K HB D M G B T HO GA I50 FF FA AF SC
    Round 10 29th May Collingwood Win 74-53 12 5 17 9 2 0 2 0 2 4 0 0 93 73
    Round 8 15th May Melbourne Win 114-82 11 3 14 11 3 1 2 0 1 1 1 1 97 88
    Round 7 7th May Adelaide Win 123-108 8 3 11 6 3 1 4 0 0 2 1 0 84 84
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes F'scary liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We definitely do play better with a big target up front. For a guy who started so far behind the 8 ball Jack has come a long way. I hope for his personal sake and the teams sake he can keep improving. I enjoy watching the big fella up forward.

Post Thanks / Like

He's shown more in his last 3 games than I thought he was capable of so kudos to big Jack.

I'm not convinced he has much more of a ceiling so this may be the best we ever get from him but he's played less than 20 games so who knows.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    He's shown more in his last 3 games than I thought he was capable of so kudos to big Jack.

I'm not convinced he has much more of a ceiling so this may be the best we ever get from him but he's played less than 20 games so who knows.
    I didn't rate him either but I'm not concerned if this is his ceiling, as long as he keeps it up. If he does, it means a 50-60 goal a year player who is near elite in contested marks + mobile enough around the ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

It would be rare for a player to have reached their ceiling in 20 games. I know there have been a few who have started in a blaze of glory and then faded (eg Georgiades) but when a player shows steady improvement, as Redpath does they generally continue that improvement beyond 50 games.

Even then if the last 3 games are all he can produce it is a valuable level and significant contribution to the team.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I've never been a big fan. However, I've always liked his goal kicking technique and his accuracy. 8.2 this year so far again.

Tom Boyd right through his juniors was an elite accurate goal kicker. When Tom's body and legs get used to the punishment he's going to get through he, Redders and Dickson represent a very accurate trio. On historical data, if these 3 get 12 shots combined a game then we are looking at 9.3 as the average goal return. Perhaps Redders accuracy and efficiency makes him more valuable than at first glance. This combo might just start to turn around our recent goal kicking accuracy record. If Jake could just nail his easy shots that be a bonus with Crameri being a safe kick too this could be an area of increased team output if these guys end up playing together.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I was impressed with Redpath's work rate on the weekend. Both to 'hit up', and defensively trying to make a difference.

Has taken 6, 11 & 9 marks in his 3 games this season - and is playing really well.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't be surprised if Jack has a bit of improvement in him. He still looks tentative in some attacks on the ball, I can see him impacting contests far more as his confidence and sense of belonging grow. He has also had a cursed run with his body. Who's to say that he is not one of those big men that come into their own at 25+?

He certainly has a physical presence which will only grow.

We all can see his limitations, but they are not as important as the things he can do. There is no reason he can't go on to have a substantial career with us.

Post Thanks / Like

His leading patterns are good too. One minute he is on the wing the next in the forward pocket. I heard a player say the other day on the doggies website. can't remember who it was, that Jack is quite quick too. So he has got that speed to separate himself from his opponent too.

Post Thanks / Like

Give him more than 1 year!
    Bevo played 11 seasons on 1 year contracts didn't he?
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

15. Likes Testekill, BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he is a reasonable FF. Would like to see Toyd FP along side him. Could be a good combo, they have complimentary styles.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I guess guys from Jack's pathway have a bit of a stigma about them .
    Reckon he's improving , and still has more in him .Really deserves to make a great fist of it

Post Thanks / Like

Jacks a go getter , Tom lacks that hunger and evil look in his eye but imagine Jack leading one way, Boyd the other and Stringer , Dickson, Crameri Dalhaus, honeychurch . Maclean floating around while the other big Tom floats back to the goal square ..who has enough backman of qualty to stop them all if we pick the right options or a different one each time ?
    Bring back the biff