Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Matthew Boyd - AFL Life Member

Stevo just said that Boyd hits 300 games today in all AFL games (Inc. preseason games etc). That makes him an AFL Life Member. An amazing effort from a bloke playing at the Frankston VFL to rookie, to senior listed player, to consistent performer, to club captain to AFL life member.

Stevo said he should play next year too. I can't say the games he would play by then.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matthew Boyd - AFL Life Member

Check post 143 in this thread: http://www.woof.net.au/forum/showthr...odcasts/page10

Boyd interviewed on his 300th.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Thanks bulldogtragic, Twodogs thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Stevo just said that Boyd hits 300 games today in all AFL games (Inc. preseason games etc). That makes him an AFL Life Member. An amazing effort from a bloke playing at the Frankston VFL to rookie, to senior listed player, to consistent performer, to club captain to AFL life member.

Stevo said he should play next year too. I can't say the games he would play by then.
    Thanks BT and if I might add he was recruited from the Frankston reserves team which is even more admirable.

Post Thanks / Like

Huge effort by Matty today. I'm just watching the presser and Bevo has said Boyd is next in the rotation for stand in captain if Easton misses again. Bonts mustn't have done enough!!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Playing great footy again this season. In particular, he seems to be having a lot of terrific 2nd halves, with a heap of good overhead marks in defence saving the day.

Things would have to change dramatically, for Matty Boyd to not be going around again next season.

7. Likes Bulldog4life, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Playing great footy again this season. In particular, he seems to be having a lot of terrific 2nd halves, with a heap of good overhead marks in defence saving the day.

Things would have to change dramatically, for Matty Boyd to not be going around again next season.
    I agree, if he wants to play then he should have a spot.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Legend effort from Frankston reserves to AFL life membership what a true champion. He is playing dam fine football again this year. The amount of times he puts his body in the way of the opposition with the only regard for stopping them and the ball is something the younger boys must look up to with admiration. Hope he plays again next year there is definitely a spot for him in our best 22

10. Thanks Rocco Jones thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Yep. Matts call on next season.
    The curse is dead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Wait and see for Dogs veteran on 2017

WESTERN Bulldogs veteran Matthew Boyd is in talks with the club about a new deal, but says there's no rush to commit to playing on in 2017.

Boyd, 33, is out of contract at season's end, and says his first priority is to help lead the Bulldogs' 2016 finals campaign.

"There's no contract at the moment. We're in talks. We'll wait and see how the year pans out ... to see if I go around again," Boyd told RSN 927.

"The mind and body are feeling pretty good, but things can change pretty quickly in footy, we all know that."

Boyd, who has averaged 27.3 disposals in the back half this season, said he would let his future take care of itself.

"For me really now it's about concentrating on what we've got in front of us," Boyd said.

"We've got two weeks of the regular season to play out, which is going to be some challenging games again for us in the next couple of weeks, and then going into the finals series for a second year in a row with a young group.

"It's really important I maintain focus on those things rather than the other things that are really out of my control."

Meanwhile, Boyd has backed teammate Jake Stringer to recapture the scintillating form that led to him being named an All Australian last season.

"He's still playing a vital role for us and he's still contributing," Boyd said.

"He started the game really well for us (against Collingwood) and got us on the scoreboard with a really clever snap for goal, and then I thought how he finished the game was really important for us.

"We needed someone to be strong around the footy and to stand up when we needed a contest and I thought Jake was able to do that.

"He's an All Australian in his third year so the pressure mounts, you get extra attention from the opposition, so there's a number of factors that lead to what most would perceive as a drop in form."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

13. Thanks bulldogtragic, N/A thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No contract yet. Interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

I heard the conversation. Orginally i thought it was Boyd was delaying the decision but it sounds like the club is.

Very interesting indeed.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

He gets at least one year again, surely?
    It's not like we have a super-old list.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

It's funny, when we let Crossy go and kept Boydy, I thought we'd kept the wrong player out of the 2. But Boyd has actually got better and better since then. His move to defence has been brilliant and his overhead marking is a real strength in his game now.

Post Thanks / Like

I will be annoyed if we do cut him. I don't see what more he could have done to justify another year, he is a real general in defence and sentimentality aside it's hard to argue for Murphy to get another year after a knee reco and at the same time tell Boyd we can't fit him on the list next year.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

I want to enjoy another year of him nailing big tackles. There is no harder tackler in our team. The tackle he laid on Ziebel a couple of week's back was brutal. Stopped him dead in his tracks.

His first half against the Pies was also amazing.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.