Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Gourdis to Richmond. Did we miss something?

As most of us would knjow by now, Richmond used its 1st pick in the PSD to draft Subiaco's David Gourdis.

I found this interesting on a number of fronts.

First of all, he was regarded as a near certainty to be drafted, some even predicting that he may go in the top 30, which begs the question: Why was he overlooked in the first place.

Secondly, MJP, someone who's opinion of junior footballers I trust and respect, rated him above Grant, Henderson and McEvoy in the BF Phantom draft, using pick 5 to take him (mind you Jarrod Grant slipped through to 19 so I'm not sure how reliable that is). But again the question must be asked, from all accounts he's a handy player with a fantastic workrate. Does it seem odd that when he was widely tipped to go reasonably early in the draft that he had to wait for the PSD for his chance.

Will Richmond make Clayton look silly, and MJP look like a genius?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gourdis to Richmond. Did we miss something?

With respect, I think the 16 AFL recruiters have a bit more knowledge than MJP. They watch these kids for years.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes the fact that he slipped is quite strange, and it makes you wonder perhaps about off field issues, but what was even stranger for me was the fact that he went at pick 1 in the PSD. I mean clubs have no interest in him in the national, and then when the PSD comes around he is hot property? And the preseason draft is pretty well an extended national draft plus the recycled players. It makes you think, "well if there had been one more pick in the national draft, would Gourdis have been taken with that pick?"
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Clayton could have drafted him instead of O'Keefe if he wanted him.

Mustn't have wanted him.

I saw Gourdis play SA and thought he was a gun. The issue seems to be his attitude and kicking.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess it shows that BF draft-watchers/predictors dont necessarily see the same things as the professional recruiters. I dunno that I believe Richmond's comments about taking him no. 1 in PSD because other clubs were interested. Basically every club (including Clayton) says "yeh there were heaps of other clubs interested in our newly drafted gun <insert draftee name>" as a way of making their choice sound good. Doesnt actually mean any clubs were interested, especially in this case were no club picked him in the ND.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Will Richmond make Clayton look silly, and MJP look like a genius?
    Why signal out Clayton here Westdog?

If he makes it, then there's sixteen recruiting managers who would all be as equally culpable including Richmond's as they all overlooked him in the National Draft.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    Why signal out Clayton here Westdog?

If he makes it, then there's sixteen recruiting managers who would all be as equally culpable including Richmond's as they all overlooked him in the National Draft.
    Yeah but if he goes onto be a top full-forward while we're still searching for one then the articles will say "Clayton overlooked Gourdis" , "Clayton can't pick talls". The other teams become irrelevant because they weren't desperately searching for a tall forward like we were. If it continues to be our weakness, we'll continue to pay in the press and in places like BF.
    Park that car
    Drop that phone
    Sleep on the floor
    Dream about me

Post Thanks / Like

The guys clearly seen as a risk

He could end up the next Angwin or he could be a spectacular success story

Post Thanks / Like

This is all great speculation.

An exciting thread here Westdog, but dont expect any real answers until we see him play.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerry View Post
    With respect, I think the 16 AFL recruiters have a bit more knowledge than MJP. They watch these kids for years.
    What more can the kid do than to play well in the carnival and be one of the best at the draft camp? Sure the recruiters are closer to some of the information about the draftees but based on form throughout 2007 he should have been selected and it appears that a couple of other clubs would have selected him if the Tigers didn't.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    What more can the kid do than to play well in the carnival and be one of the best at the draft camp? Sure the recruiters are closer to some of the information about the draftees but based on form throughout 2007 he should have been selected and it appears that a couple of other clubs would have selected him if the Tigers didn't.
    Agreed. However for him to fall so much there must have been a rather serious off field question mark.

I'm more in the Scorlibo line of thinking here. What made him so desireable in the PSD but not in the ND??

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The carnival is over rated. I think recruiters look a bit deeper. Injuries, team form, team strength and individual form play a such a big part. Yes Gourdis had a good draft camp, but his negatives must of outweighed it.

Post Thanks / Like

Tehy must not have been sure if they wanted him or he would have been taken ewith their last draft pick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Tehy must not have been sure if they wanted him or he would have been taken ewith their last draft pick
    I suppose the difference between draft day & now, is it gave the Tigers an opportunity to see him up close, see how he trains, relates with the other players & just how much not being drafted spurred him on. I'm only guessing mind you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Coon Dog View Post
    I suppose the difference between draft day & now, is it gave the Tigers an opportunity to see him up close, see how he trains, relates with the other players & just how much not being drafted spurred him on. I'm only guessing mind you.
    Thats exactly right, AND hes now had a bit of a wakeup call, where hes realised that maybe his talent alone wont get him to the AFL. Admittedly he has made a list now, but for 3 weeks everybody would have been asking him what happened? why didn't you get picked up etc etc etc?

I personally would have been inclined to take him with our last pick in the national draft, but I dont know anything about the issues