Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
    Post Thanks / Like

Shane Biggs blossoming since leaving Sydney Swans for Western Bulldogs

Link

Had Shane Biggs' AFL career ended when he left Sydney, he would most likely have been remembered in the decades to come as the next Swan to wear the No.46 after Tony Lockett. But if his recent form is any guide, it won't be long before he becomes more than just an answer to a piece of trivia.
    Biggs knows he can trot out the cliche that today will be "just another game", except he won't because he knows that it isn't. Playing against your former club never is.

Sydney have a habit of turning rough diamonds into gems but Biggs is one player whose value has risen since leaving the Swans.

Biggs had a strong feeling midway through 2014 his time in Sydney was up. Opportunities had been rare for the former Swans rookie, who managed only six games in his three seasons.
    Adding to Biggs' frustration was the knowledge he could mix it at the top level. He'd proven that to himself the previous year when he followed up an 18-possession game on debut against Hawthorn with another 21 in his first final.
    Shane Biggs managed just six games in three seasons with his old club Sydney.

"Everyone goes through patches where their confidence is up and they're confident about everything and it's glass half full, but there were definitely times when I was realistic," Biggs says.
    "It was pretty hard to take; everyone wants to be playing in the seniors.
    "In those few years they did have a really strong side, a pretty set back line and they were a pretty resilient side injury-wise.

"I was not the happiest in the seconds. Some guys have to play there, not everyone can play in the seniors and I knew that. I wasn't thinking I should be playing every week. In the end I just wanted a bit more opportunity."
    Biggs was given another late-season call up in 2014 but when he was dropped for the finals he knew he needed to get out.

"Most of the conversations were through my manager, we gathered I wasn't in their future plans," Biggs says.
    Biggs actually was very much a required player, it's just the Bulldogs showed they wanted him more. The Swans had liked what they had seen but they were unsure of Nick Malceski's intentions and due to salary cap constraints could not promote Biggs to their primary list, whereas the Bulldogs could.
    "As soon as the Doggies showed some interest we pushed pretty hard to get over here," Biggs, who hails from Melbourne's east, says.

As it turned out Malceski left for the Gold Coast, though the Swans will be pleased with the progress of Callum Mills and Zak Jones across half-back, while James Rose, whom they selected with the pick exchanged for Biggs, is also showing promise.
    Biggs' start at the Bulldogs was "bizarre". The club had no coach when he arrived, having just sacked Brendan McCartney. It's never ideal if the man who hires you is gone when you start your job, though Luke Beveridge reassured him soon after arriving that he was needed.
    "It was kind of a strange start to the pre-season; we went a month or two without a coach," Biggs says.

"When he did come in he thought there was a spot for me if I did everything right. Like everyone else you have to bring your strengths and work hard."
    Biggs did, and Beveridge kept true to his word, trusting him with a valuable rebounding role from half-back. The defender is coming up to his 22nd consecutive game at his new club – the equivalent of an entire home and away season.
    "He's definitely done everything for where I'm at now," Biggs averaging 22 possessions a game this year, says of his coach.

"He lets us play with real confidence and real freedom, everyone in the team would say that. He's a great people person and we all get along really well. We play with the confidence he gives us."
    While Biggs left the Swans on good terms – he remains in touch with several former teammates – he says there is still the desire to make a point to his old club.
    "Everyone plays with a bit of something in the back of their mind," Biggs says. "I definitely don't hold any grudges or play in spite of anyone. I loved playing in Sydney with the boys. I had a great group playing with me in the NEAFL."
    It will be a case of same, same but different for Biggs when he arrives at the SCG on Saturday. It's a routine he would have followed on countless occasions over his career except this time it will be as a Bulldog, and it won't be for the early game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, bulldogtragic, Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shane Biggs blossoming since leaving Sydney Swans for Western Bulldogs

Best trainer in the gym too he says.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.