Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

The Paul Roos Experiment is Nearly Over - Pass or Fail?

So, the Paul Roos Experiment is coming to an end in just a couple of handfuls of games. Roos contract was for $1,500,000 per year for 3 years. Have the AFL got a decent return on investment for their $4,500,000 cheque to secure Roos for Melbourne?

It's easier to start with facts:

2014: 4 wins - Finishing 17th
    2015: 7 wins - Finishing 13th
    2016: 6 wins - Currently 10th (Projected Finishing 14th on 9 wins)

In 2013 they gave up rights to Josh Kelly (or Bontempelli) in favour of Dom Tyson from GWS & Salem at pick 9. They brought in Bernie Vince with pick 23, Daniel Cross and some nothing player trades.
    In 2014 they brought in Lamumba for Mitch Clarke, Frost for pick 23 and Brendan McCartney. They lost Frawley due to poor management.
    In 2015 they gave up pick 25 for Melksham. Moved around Kennedy, Bugg and picks for Howe, Toumpass and picks.

Outside of their very top picks, they had no picks before pick 40 aiming to trade in and not draft up. Seems a very deliberate approach to avoid their recruiters and stock up on mediocre players.

All in all, was this a success to stop the rot? Or bearing all things in mind, is this a very expensive exercise in mediocre ladder progression and questionable list management?

I'm firmly in the fail camp. From 4 to 9 wins over 3 years with several top 5 picks and bringing in mature players may have stopped the rot, but it's not a great return above natural progression of the list without Roos. It probably has deflected more attention to GCS and Brisbane's failings, but not allowing the recruiters to go to the draft for 3 years between picks 10 & 40 is a crazy long term plan. We've seen gun after gun on our list in this range over the same years. Either they had no faith in their recruiters, which is somewhat understandable, or they were solely about stemming the bleeding and Roos being able to say there's more wins than losses by his final year.

As for gameplan, there's still not a coherent one that I can see. As for player development there's more concern than clear wins, Dawes has gone backwards, Watts is still treading water, Fitzpatrick looked alright and was then cut. The great white hopes in Hogan & McDonald are not yet putting pen to paper and they still seem to rely on too few too often, mostly Jones still. The pessimist in me thinks that their slight rise up the ladder may be temporary and we might be back to the same old unless their very top picks can carry them up to maybe 10th or so.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 03-07-2016 at 09:39 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Sedat, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Paul Roos Experiment is Nearly Over - Pass or Fail?

Agree big fail, don't know what value he has brought to the club. Blamed everyone else for losses, and never took responsibility himself.

I watched the last quarter today against Adelaide and I saw very little intensity and willingness of players to work hard and get the ball. I don't understand their game plan either.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Gets a lot of slack with his charm offensive ( reminds me of someone politically, but I won't say)
    They had to improve eventually , but I think it's been to slow .
    I would have picked Kelly every day of the week or the Bont , but I'm confused with the game style.
    They focussed on defence then couldn't score, now they get opened up, but are scoring better .
    Watts wil never be the player they'd hoped, as he lacks intensity and second efforts .
    Today's game looked a bit like Roos on the Tarmac with his coaching super ready for Hawaii.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Agree big fail, don't know what value he has brought to the club. Blamed everyone else for losses, and never took responsibility himself.

I watched the last quarter today against Adelaide and I saw very little intensity and willingness of players to work hard and get the ball. I don't understand their game plan either.
    He threw to many under the bus to often . That's a big no no for me, blaming the previous coaching staff is wrong .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    He threw to many under the bus to often . That's a big no no for me, blaming the previous coaching staff is wrong .
    He was blaming the supporters in one press conference I saw.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

It's all Macca's fault.

8. Likes Twodogs, hujsh, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    It's all Macca's fault.

Hehe! Very good.

Post Thanks / Like

Roos' coaching Melbourne winning numbers:

Coached 58*
    Won 17*
    Lost 41*

Winning 31%* (Projected 20 wins from 66 games @ 30% - Which would almost be the worst of the last decade, except Mark Neeld and Matt Primus)

Brendan McCartney: 66 for 20 wins, 46 losses and 30.3%
    Brenton Sanderson: 69 for 39 wins, 30 losses and 56.5%
    Michael Voss: 109 for 43 wins, 65 losses, 1 draw and 39.4%
    Mark Harvey: 100 games for 41 wins, 59 losses and 41%
    Plough Wallace at Richmond: 99 games for 37 wins, 60 losses and 2 draws and 36%
    Matt Primus: 47 games for 13 wins, 34 losses and 28%
    Scott Watters: 44 games for 17 wins, 27 losses and 38%
    Guy McKenna: 88 games for 24 wins, 64 losses and 27%
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 04-07-2016 at 08:23 PM.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't think Wallace's record at Richmond was that bad. No wonder the poor bloke cops it from Richmond supporters so bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Didn't think Wallace's record at Richmond was that bad. No wonder the poor bloke cops it from Richmond supporters so bad.
    Sando was north of 56%! But still dumped.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sando was north of 56%! But still dumped.
    He must have problems reporting up the line? How do you get the lemonade as a young coach with that record otherwise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He must have problems reporting up the line? How do you get the lemonade as a young coach with that record otherwise.
    On the flip side of all of this, the media and public are no longer talking of Melbourne being shit down, merged or re-located. Maybe that's all the AFL wanted for the $4.5m on Roos, $3m bail out and $2m on Jackson?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't underestimate what he's done in three short years, and very scant resources or city hall support.

He's a master, and a good Aussie battler!

In honesty, the culture at Melbourne was seemingly irretrievable when he took over. Each year when you thought they couldn't be more pathetic from 2007 onward they managed to surprise. Every aspect of their club was terrible.

Like others, I didn't think his willingness to drive the bus over his support personnel, players, members or whoever was a particularly good look. It smelled of someone who was overly lauded throughout a career that was good, but wasn't as great as it was portrayed.

He's definitely being overpaid, and proving that the highest quality assistants in the game make excellent senior coaches excellent (2005-2006). I'm wondering whether a lesser paid person could have achieved the same if not better on-field outcome, it's even money in my view. However, the major hope for Melbourne is for all of the solid structures that he was purported to have employed and instilled at Sydney remain his legacy and will become evident in improved on field performance for the remainder of this year and beyond.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

16. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has said he might like to coach the women's team in 2017
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He has said he might like to coach the women's team in 2017
    The Gravy Train is strong in this one........
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

19. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post