Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will Eureka stadium be big enough?

11,000 isn't a big crowd capacity especially now as our membership is just increasing even more. Like TBD said we would most likely play one of the lower drawing interstate sides there but even against them the 11,000 would mean a lot of members would still miss out so this is something that needs to be considered. If we play there deep in the winter where it is freezing in Ballarat many Doggies supporters especially from across town in the metro area of Melbourne will find it difficult to make the trip. Will be interesting to see what happens further with the project.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FrediKanoute View Post
    11,000 is a concern. That said if we are playing someone like GCS or GWS or Brisbane it may do as a venue. It would be better if it could cope with 20,000 people, but it just means the club can ticket the game and make more cash from it (surely a good thing). Better, if it means we don't play a lossmaking game at Etihad, we have the double impact of not making the loss and potentially turning a profit.
    I'd say this year we aren't losing from there as our crowds have been very healthy - I think we need to get over 25K or something to make a gain. Very soon hopefully will get a better stadium deal at Etihad.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    I understood that there are 3 stages to the project. Increasing the size each time.This is only the first one. Maybe the Club will confirm this in more detail.
    That's my understanding as well. 11k v say GWS in year 1, then the capacity increases from there
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    That's my understanding as well. 11k v say GWS in year 1, then the capacity increases from there
    Yes that's what you would expect.

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eureka Stadium on track for 2017

The Western Bulldogs are on track to play for premierships points at Eureka Stadium in 2017 after local firm Nicholson Construction won the contract to build the 11,000 seat venue.

The firm will work with Melbourne firm, Peddle Thorp Architects, to deliver the project, including:

- Upgrading change rooms and match-day facilities to AFL standard

- Upgrading stadium seating, providing public shelters, toilets for all-abilities access, catering and food beverage facilities and ticketing infrastructure

- Improving lighting around the main oval and providing a video and electronic scoreboard

Western Bulldogs Chief Executive Officer David Stevenson said, “this announcement is just another exciting step towards playing for premiership points in Ballarat next season.”

“We’re thrilled to see the construction of Eureka Stadium beginning to come to life and look forward to seeing the progress of this important development, into next year.”

Jaala Pulford, the Minister for Regional Development said that it was an exciting time for Ballarat.

“With the announcement of Nicholson Construction as the construction partner for the Eureka Stadium project, the redevelopment is on track for the Western Bulldogs to play in 2017.”

The revitalised stadium will boast 5,000 undercover seats and will also cater for international acts and tournaments.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So Cairns & Ballarat next year. I thought we were trying to sell less games, not more.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

11. Likes WBFC4FFC, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone know if there is standing room as well. They keep saying 11,000 seat stadium and sometimes that is seated only and there is more standing room.

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Eureka Stadium is in a windswept industrial area on the outskirts of Ballarat.

To me it seems like a waste of taxpayers money for one or two games a year.

The QEO in Bendigo is the best potential AFL venue in country Victoria I have been to.

Bendigo Footy League Grand Finals remind me so much about the suburban Ground experience.

It would have been a much better option in my opinion.

15. Likes bulldogtragic, chef, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

We have to be playing GC there next year or it wouldn't accomodate any other clubs supporters .i dont think they planned in our quick rise up the ladder and supporter base growth at all .. Also the amount of people Around the area who will go just because it's for points , Ballarat and surrounding areas are huge football fans

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gohardorgohome View Post
    Eureka Stadium is in a windswept industrial area on the outskirts of Ballarat.

To me it seems like a waste of taxpayers money for one or two games a year.

The QEO in Bendigo is the best potential AFL venue in country Victoria I have been to.

Bendigo Footy League Grand Finals remind me so much about the suburban Ground experience.

It would have been a much better option in my opinion.
    Might be a better venue but it's not a better fit for extending our reach into Western Victoria which is the priority.

And everyone knows Ballarat > Bendigo

19. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Might be a better venue but it's not a better fit for extending our reach into Western Victoria which is the priority.

And everyone knows Ballarat > Bendigo
    Oh no you didn't.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

21. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    We have to be playing GC there next year or it wouldn't accomodate any other clubs supporters .i dont think they planned in our quick rise up the ladder and supporter base growth at all .. Also the amount of people Around the area who will go just because it's for points , Ballarat and surrounding areas are huge football fans
    I'd imagine we have one more Cairns game against GCS next year as only one Ballarat game is scheduled.

Year after we'll have two so probably tge expansion teams then
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

23. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If we play Gold Coast in Ballarat in July there is a pretty reasonable chance they might give us a walkover .

25. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I will chime in here as there has been much discussion and a lot of misconceptions on this issue. The ground was initially constrained to 11,000 because yes, they could have built up bigger spectator mounds to accommodate more standing room, but a crowd larger than 11,000 would have strained existing parking capacity, tested public transport as there is no station nearby, and it would have meant placing considerable temporary toilets, mobile food services and other amenities for the first game. The $15.2 million initially allocated could only build so much, and the real figure for Stage 1 is actually closer to around $19 million. The moneys spent so far:

- Rebuilt the ovals
    - Installed new lights
    - Has seen a 50 square metre video scoreboard erected
    - Reconstruction of the front of the existing pavilion
    - Creation of a 3500 seat grandstand with full broadcast and coaching suites
    - Creation of a 1500 seat covered terrace
    - Building of a main ticketing office
    - Temporary creation of a 4000 capacity earth terrace
    - Existing standing area under old scoreboard upgraded.

A bargain really.

Yes the ground will be enlarged in the future with the addition of a further 8000 undercover seats (Stages 2 and 3). Stage 3 will deliver a final seated capacity around 15,000. Further provision is made with the design of the new eight row deep eastern terrace to remove the roof and back and to extend rearward and add a further 2000 undercover seats. To expand the ground any further beyond that point would involve demolition or extensive rebuilding of the existing social club and that would be expensive.

Last edited by LostDoggy; 21-06-2017 at 05:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

As an addendum to my previous post. Unlike other major infrastructure projects in Melbourne where the government committed and ended up massively over spending such as Federation Square (that blew out by $600 million), the Melbourne Museum (which blew out by $50 million), City Link (which blew out by over $1 billion). When you build in the country, you are building to match council budgets. The ongoing development of Eureka Stadium will need to be matched by significant capitol works around the ground. The State Government are primarily funding the building of the stadium, but it's the Ballarat Council who will ultimately fund everything else from carparking, roads and pathways. There is an old saying that "Rome wasn't built in a day", and neither should we expect to snap our fingers and expect this ground to be. It will be developed over time in line with City Budgets (so as not to piss-off the highly militant local Ballarat rate-payers).

There is still quite a bit to be built up around this ground to make it truly first class. The list includes (in no particular order):

- rebuilding Creswick Road (the Midland Highway) to a dual carriageway
    - building car parks for at least 2000 cars
    - building an 'Events Day' train platform adjacent to the ground on the Maryborough rail line
    - building footpaths and pedestrian walkways around the ground
    - upgrading existing lighting to AFL/cricket broadcast standard
    - building bus parking and drop zones
    - building additional covered grandstand seating to accommodate up to 10000 more spectators.

And the list goes on. The biggest issue or constraint to the Stadium's further expansion are these things. It's not a question of how big can the ground be built, but more a question of the current infrastructure constraining it.

28. Thanks Ozza, Axe Man, hujsh, jeemak, Bulldog4life thanked for this post
    Likes Prince Imperial, SonofScray, Smads57 liked this post