Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  50
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong Tours Collingwood's Facilities

Only issue I have is him personally going on a tour mid way in the season. It feels a little like betrayal. That being said he's on the fringe with us and I don't fault him for exploring his options. We can't keep every player.

Post Thanks / Like

Timing isn't great but no suggestion it will impact his effort going by his performance on the weekend. Let's face it.....he needs to perform to attract suitors.

I understand why he might leave and will be disappointed. There is so much to like about him.....and he's provided plenty of new memberships through his family and extended family and friends

Unfortunately the reality is our list is building and he is unlikely to be best 22 going forward.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I can see where you are coming from but considering we'll be playing in September, players don't get a massive window of opportunity to explore their options and do due diligence if they're looking at a move, and if he thinks there's a better opportunity at another club (and lets face it, he'd probably walk into their 22 at the moment) then it doesn't serve anyone well to be holding him back.

To be honest the whole 'secret squirrel' thing is a little bit silly when it comes to out of contract players. Other codes have players moving around all the time and there is far more transparency to it.

If he was under contract it would have been a different story.
    He is under contract
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He is under contract
    I thought he was out of contract at the end of the season. My bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    I thought he was out of contract at the end of the season. My bad.
    Which means is under contract until the end of the season.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

So, rather than taking an entirely professional approach to his possible departure, as Hawthorn did with Suckling last year, we childishly sit on our hands and pretend that he's not exploring his options to continue his career next year?

Post Thanks / Like

Like a lot of things in the footy world, it's likely this is a bigger concern to supporters than it is to the club.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Recently it feels like the journalists are trying to take us down a peg or two. Which means we are rising up the pecking order!
    Wednesday full back page spread, nice to see the group shot on the back of the Hun.

I had to use a magnifying glass to see Zaine Cordy's scar.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

9. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Will be interesting to see if he is picked this week.
    Multicultural Week ... Can he not be picked ???
    WOOF Member 422

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Thoughts on this?

I don't think Bevo would take too kindly to this sort of behaviour.. It's the vibe I get.
    Well Jong is never a guaranteed selection - one would think if we were ranking them, Jong is going to be somewhere between 20th and 22nd in this week's consideration. If it came down to a 50/50 between another player and Jongy - and the coach is disappointed with the news - Jong may miss.

For instance - if Bevo is sitting there thinking 'Well I can't play both Stevens and Jong in the midfield...Jong was solid last week but went off to Collingwood for a look, and Stevens has come back and had 38 in the 2s'. Interesting dilemma.

EDIT: I should say, that I don't have a big issue with Jong exploring his options. Its not ideal when it gets out of course, and the whole 'touring the facilities' that goes on is a laugh (I'm sure walking around the facilities is not a significant influencing factor in a players decision to move these days like they'd have been in the 80s/90s). At the end of the year, we need to let a few go off the list as Boyd, Morris and Murphy will all play on - so maybe Jong is in that discussion anyway.
    But the reaction at the selection table is an interesting aspect for me given that he is not a senior selection 'lock'.

13. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Well Jong is never a guaranteed selection - one would think if we were ranking them, Jong is going to be somewhere between 20th and 22nd in this week's consideration. If it came down to a 50/50 between another player and Jongy - and the coach is disappointed with the news - Jong may miss.

For instance - if Bevo is sitting there thinking 'Well I can't play both Stevens and Jong in the midfield...Jong was solid last week but went off to Collingwood for a look, and Stevens has come back and had 38 in the 2s'. Interesting dilemma.

EDIT: I should say, that I don't have a big issue with Jong exploring his options. Its not ideal when it gets out of course, and the whole 'touring the facilities' that goes on is a laugh (I'm sure walking around the facilities is not a significant influencing factor in a players decision to move these days like they'd have been in the 80s/90s). At the end of the year, we need to let a few go off the list as Boyd, Morris and Murphy will all play on - so maybe Jong is in that discussion anyway.
    But the reaction at the selection table is an interesting aspect for me given that he is not a senior selection 'lock'.
    39 it says in the Hun. Go Koby. Jongy never really uses his speed to break lines enough for me. If he would change his game and take it on a bit more, he might get more games.
    He's improved but it's been slow. I can see why he might look elsewhere and why we might not worry too much.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.sen.com.au/news/afl/07-16...wqxqzVwVLQy.97

Former Collingwood premiership coach Mick Malthouse says were a player to visit a rival club’s facilities without a mutual agreement he would be absolutely ‘livid’.

This comes as reports emerged Western Bulldogs youngster Lin Jong toured Collingwood’s facilities, days before their win over Sydney.

Jong is out of contract at the end of the season and has played seven games for the Bulldogs in 2016.

He says if it happened when he was coaching, the particular player would be dumped for the rest of the year.

“If I found a player who is challenging the club that I’m going to go because my management have now got me booked into Collingwood or wherever else, with a view of looking at the facilities and moving at the end of the year I’d be livid,” said Malthouse on SEN Breakfast.

“If there’s a mutual agreement that look, we don’t think you’ll be part of us next year and you want to pursue something through the management, ok if you want to see Collingwood or anyone else do so.

“If that’s done behind your back it’s the very fabric of your building.

“Trust is the mortar and if that starts to fray because a player can’t cop what he sees in front of him and can’t wait till the end of the year, then I wouldn’t play him.

“If you have that sort of mindset and do it behind the door and not be open about it, then I’m not sure I could trust you on a match day.”

Malthouse can’t understand why such discussions can’t wait until seasons end and he slammed some player managers who do their business in a clandestine manner

“The kid will say I’ll give it everything I’ve got, but what’s the point of doing it in July when you can still do the same thing at the end of the football season?,” he said.

“I have a real fundamental problem with some managers. I think they’re rogues, they’re pirates, and they’re leeches.

“On the other side you get some really good ones who have a great knowledge, liaise with a football club and talk to the club in an open discussion.”

Post Thanks / Like

So Malthouse would rather be vindictive than try and win a premiership.

Malthouse can't understand why such discussions can't wait until season's end.

That's because there was no trade period or draft when he was a player. And because footballers weren't professional in his time.

They were paid, but they weren't professional.

17. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Being not contracted for next year, if Jong walks, do we get any compensation?
    Footscray Football Republic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BornInDroopSt'54 View Post
    Being not contracted for next year, if Jong walks, do we get any compensation?
    He needs a trade to ensure he gets to the club of his choosing or go PSD where he won't last to Collingwood. He can nominate for the ND but with the points needed for FSs he won't get to Collingwood. So it needs to be a trade if it's GCS or Collingwood.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023