Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  27
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Western Bulldogs youngster Caleb Daniel is thriving in the AFL

Link

At 7 years old

THE recruiters couldn’t help but notice. Meeting an AFL club at an Adelaide hotel, Caleb Daniel’s legs dangled as he sat in a chair.

They couldn’t quite touch the ground. Daniel talked a big game and the scouts loved him, but after one look knew it would be a tall order to pick him. “Imagine what the (senior coach) would say on the first day of pre-season,” one grinned.

“He looked about 12!”

Welcome to the life of Caleb Daniel, the 168cm Western Bulldog who looks up to all of his peers.
    “It’d be nice to be six-foot two and 80kg, but that’s something I won’t be ever,” Daniel says.

A lack of red meat on his plate wasn’t to blame. “Small” mum Karen laughs when asked about the gene pool.
    “We make Caleb look big. When (older sister) Chloe and I are around Caleb he’s the big man in the family.”

Caleb’s dad Grant can look him in the eye but Karen and Chloe need high heels on to get close.

Daniel has always played at elbow height. It’s the reason Karen purchased his trademark black helmet — the same one he will wear against Richmond. When Daniel was five or six he signed up to Edwardstown juniors in Adelaide for his first real kick of the Sherrin.

“He jumped the fence with a football nearly the size of his torso,” Karen says, “and his coaches kind of looked at each other.
    They said, ‘What, are we taking pre-schoolers now?’”

But it is what happened next which tells the real story. Daniel stayed, and Daniel dominated.
    The only kid who could naturally kick, mark and handball, Daniel punched above his weight for the first time, but certainly not the last.

“Gobsmacked,” is how Karen describes the reaction.

“And they never mentioned him not belonging again.” Sledges and doubters have been constant, but Daniel’s ears have never been tuned to either. “I usually just laugh it off (on the field). Sometimes I just agree with them,” he says.

“I don’t say too much out there, I’m not quick-witted enough.”

What about the lack of inches? “There’s obviously disadvantages. But I’ve never really thought too negatively about it.”
    And neither have the Bulldogs.

Come draft time in 2014, they put his recruitment down to a science.

There was no question Daniel could play. Coming off an ankle injury, you don’t finish the national championships as the No. 1 ranked player averaging 172 SuperCoach points without ability.

Daniel’s numbers dwarfed the likes of Christian Petracca, Isaac Heeney and Angus Brayshaw and his form continued in 11 SANFL games for South Adelaide.

The Bulldogs knew from Daniel’s family tree he wouldn’t be getting any bigger.

So they examined what impact the lack of inches would have in the AFL.

If he was an inside midfielder or a marking player, he wouldn’t cut it. For that you need body size, and the Dogs were flush for that sort anyway.

But Daniel’s forte was uncontested ball and ground-level play.

And for that, size doesn’t matter. After 22 AFL games, 75 per cent of Daniel’s neat disposals have been in space.
    Blessed with little feet, Daniel boasts a quick change of direction which buys extra time to make those clever decisions.
    With the height hurdle cleared, Bulldog recruiters engaged some of their smartest football brains to see how he would fit into the gamestyle.

This was tricky, as the Dogs were between senior coaches, but the forensic analysis delivered a perfect match.
    In 2014, the Dogs were bulls around the ball but broke down in transition, particularly out of defence.

They lacked a link man. Daniel was just that.
    Ardent Bulldog minds must wander to the bevy of precise deliveries Daniel has made to defuse danger.

When those little legs start pumping and Daniel gets the ball, you can just about bank on the Dogs winning the next possession.

There’s no waste. “And he did that to us on the ‘G about 3-4 times in really tight spaces,” Collingwood coach Nathan Buckley says. Daniel’s footy brain is enormous, mind a steel trap for the next play. No matter how critical the moment, he simply makes the right decision.

It’s why David King sees a blend of Sam Mitchell and Brent Harvey when he watches Daniel.
    King reckons those pinpoint 20m kicks can be just as important as long, penetrating passes.
    So the Dogs knew Daniel’s frame wouldn’t matter and he was the missing ingredient in their team. Still, they wanted a killer attribute. One to set him apart.

When the draft combine rolled around, they found it. Weeks after playing in South Adelaide’s preliminary final, Daniel ran the beep test. As the last man to pull out at the elite level of 16.1, he was red in the face.

And after steadily warming throughout the year, the Dogs officially had the hots for him.
    The beep test showed he had enormous aerobic capacity and the mental drive to match.

“A 13 beep isn’t good enough for that role,” chief recruiter Simon Dalrymple said on draft night

“But 16 is elite so we see that as a real point of difference.” Dogs coach Luke Beveridge loves Daniel’s creativity and the footprint he is leaving on wins. Those who tracked Daniel aren’t surprised. They say he is doing exactly what he did at underage level for the Bulldogs. Beveridge goes back to Round 3 as Daniel’s “significant day”. He was shifted onto Sam Mitchell and the scoreboard promptly shifted the Dogs’ way.

The next week Daniel would get a Rising Star nomination and Matthew Lloyd says if it was voted on today, the pipsqueak Bulldog should win it.

The bookies are starting to agree. Daniel has been crunched into a clear top three, along with No. 1 pick Jacob Weitering and No. 2 Petracca. And Champion Data backs it all up.

In Daniel’s position, he is producing better numbers than seasoned stars Brett Deledio, Toby Greene, Steve Johnson and Harvey. But it’s not just his short-kicking game cutting sides apart. Champion says Daniel’s long-kicking rating is +15 per cent — ranked No. 2 in the AFL. “We think we’ve got a bit of a steal there,” Beveridge said this week. A bit? The Dogs got Daniel with their last live pick, No. 46, which they received for Liam Jones.

Yet in drafting circles, that was considered early. About 10 clubs interviewed Daniel but if you ask South Adelaide coach Brad Gotch he’ll tell you the Dogs were the only genuine buyer. It’s why Daniel was nervous on draft night.

“I think every footballer has got that self-doubt in their head,” Daniel says. “I’d be lying if I said (missing out) didn’t dawn on my mind. “There was a lot of taller midfielders and taller forwards that were playing good footy.

“There was nerves when it got to about pick 40 because a few of my mates slid from South Australia from where they were mock drafted.”

But when Daniel’s name was called he became the smallest player drafted since Tony Liberatore, and the 1990 Brownlow winner called him straight away.

Liberatore saw a snippet of Daniel that year and alerted Dalrymple when they crossed paths. “If you’re good enough you can make it. I’ve always had that attitude,” Libba says. “He’s the modern-game player. He gets the ball, his agility is good, he uses the ball well, he can run and he can break lines.

“The kid’s got something. I’m rapt another little fella is playing AFL.”

Mum Karen gets teary when she reflects. “It’s always been David v Goliath,” she says, “because he’s always been the tiny fella. “He flies the flag for the little people.” Diminutive in stature, delightful to watch best sums up Caleb Daniel.

“We never thought of him being small. He’s a big man in a little fella’s body.”

CALEB DANIEL ON THAT HELMET

CALEB Daniel will wear the same helmet against Richmond as his first game of contact footy as a tiny junior more than 10 years ago. Mum Karen purchased the famous headgear when tackling was introduced and Daniel told the Herald Sun he was yet to replace it. “Mum said as soon as you get into the tackling and contact side of things I wouldn’t mind you chucking this on,” Daniel said.

“I thought nothing about it, just put it on and it stuck with me.

“I haven’t changed it yet. I’ve probably had a massive head from the age of seven through to now, it’s the same size I guess.” Karen says they didn’t make helmets small enough for Caleb at the time, but after a couple of modifications it was good to go. About twelve years on little has changed.

“He was always at that kind of elbow height where it’s easy to be whacked without even trying,” Karen said.

“It became part of his kit. The deal for him was I’d let him play up (an age group) when he was asked to, as long as he wore the helmet.”

Born in Queensland, Daniel’s first sporting love was rugby league and with Jonathan Thurston starting his career at the same time the helmet look was an easy sell.

Daniel is the only AFL player to wear a helmet by design and has no plans to start showing off his flowing locks on the footy field. “There’s a bit of rust, bit of blood, bit of sweat and a bit of tears in there,” he said.

“There’s a bit of sniff on it, I’m not a massive fan of washing it. “It doesn’t faze me too much, if it stinks I’ll wash it and if it smells all right it sticks around. “It just sits in my bag until gameday and then it goes on.”

But what happens if time finally catch up with Daniel’s black lid? “I’m not too fussed,” he said.

“If it doesn’t turn out and the helmet breaks, I don’t have to wear it anymore. It’s just something I’ve worn for 10-plus years and that’s all it’s been, it just instils that little bit of confidence.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Likes Mofra, anfo27, WBFC4FFC, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Western Bulldogs youngster Caleb Daniel is thriving in the AFL

Man, I do love Caleb Daniel.

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

16.1 beep, bloody hell. That's about twice Liam Jones too. So it really is how hard you work. And what a marriage, he's been fighting for the little people and will keep doing it for another 15 years or so.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Man, I do love Caleb Daniel.

I had a look at his highlights reel on draft night and loved what I saw. He was a gun footballer with footy smarts. I was stunned he'd lasted until 46?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I had a look at his highlights reel on draft night and loved what I saw. He was a gun footballer with footy smarts. I was stunned he'd lasted until 46?
    Recruiters tend to focus on what a player can't do and ignore what they can do....

you don’t finish the national championships as the No. 1 ranked player averaging 172 SuperCoach points
    ... except no other player has ever done that.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

l look forward to watching Caleb over many a season. This guy just oozes class.

Post Thanks / Like

He's a jet and I for one still get a little caught up on what he can't do.

There was a key contest in last weeks game where he was out marked by McVeigh simply due to the difference in height.. And I was filthy on it, but five minutes later he executed a kick not many can to give us a chance to win the game... There will always be somethings he struggles with due to his height/size, but it makes up for it so many other ways.

10. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

There was a key contest in last weeks game where he was out marked by McVeigh simply due to the difference in height.. And I was filthy on it, but five minutes later he executed a kick not many can to give us a chance to win the game... There will always be somethings he struggles with due to his height/size, but it makes up for it so many other ways.
    True, if the ball is sat on his head he will struggle against most players. I think whoever is going to pass it to Caleb needs to try the bullet pass and at worst it's a ground ball which also plays in his favor.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

I love his clean hands. I'm a big fan of players who are 'one-grab' players below their knees - it makes such a huge difference in linking up through the ground.

And when Caleb gets the ball - we are a good chance to score. He's a great asset to the team.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I love his clean hands. I'm a big fan of players who are 'one-grab' players below their knees - it makes such a huge difference in linking up through the ground.
    Yep, it's almost a guarantee they'll transition well to the top level. There have been plenty of busts that could run like the wind, kick bullets and jump high but needed a handle on the ball to gather it at ground level.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post

That's it.

He will struggle in contests, struggle to win own ball and as a product of that, have patches of the game where he does next to nothing.

His poise and decision making though are absolutely elite. He is elite at the most important aspect of the game. He also works hard to get his uncontested possessions. Massive aspect for an outside player.

15. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

When I say his poise and decision making is elite, have we seen a guy like this in his second year? It is utterly incredible. I think elite almost does he a disservice.

17. Likes N/A, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For a fun exercise, which other players around the league do we think could have deliberately pulled off that kick?

Sam Mitchell is one.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

He defies logic. AFL players are massive. It would be daunting for anyone to play a highly contact sport against men of that size, but not for Caleb. He has a lot of courage to compete at that level. He actually turns the tables and uses his lack of height to his advantage, twisting and turning being almost impossible to grab. Work rate, quick thinking, clean hands and agility is what he brings, and in the little amount of AFL football he has played in his career to date he is already better than most in those parts of the game. He's only going to get better too, so how good can he get?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    For a fun exercise, which other players around the league do we think could have deliberately pulled off that kick?

Sam Mitchell is one.
    Only guy I can think of that is with Caleb in terms of poise, decision making and skill execution combo.