Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Stringer would consider a lucrative package

Link

EXPLOSIVE forward Jake Stringer doesn’t want to frighten Western Bulldogs fans, but he says free-agency thinking cannot be ignored.

Emphasising that he wants to be a Bulldog for the rest of his career, the 22-year-old father of daughters Milla, 2, and Arlo, six weeks, said his future would be determined by what was best for his family.
    If another club offered him $1 million a season, similar to the deal given to teammate Tom Boyd, Stringer joked that he would have to see what the Bulldogs would offer to keep him.

The seriousness of a 12-year football career, however, meant everything would have to be considered.
    “Money is a factor in footy, 100 per cent it is,” Stringer told the Herald Sun. “I’ve got two kids. I’m not thinking for me, I’m thinking for those two.

“But would I want to leave the club? No way. They gave me my opportunity. Heaps of clubs were worried about my broken leg and (the Bulldogs) took a gamble on me.
    “There’s also the mates and friendships I’ve created. And Bevo (Luke Beveridge) and Gia (Daniel Giansiracusa) and all the coaches ... I couldn’t think of anything worse than leaving the football club.”
    Stringer and Marcus Bontempelli, 20, are considered the emerging superstars among a host of talented young Bulldogs players.

Yet they are probably earning less than a third of what Boyd, 20, is taking home. It has been reported his contract is heavily front-ended.
    Stringer, who is tied to the Kennel until the end of the 2018 season, said Boyd’s contract was not an issue.
    “I don’t — and I know the other boys don’t — hold any grudge or anything like that,” Stringer said. “He got the deal, the club needed a key position player and they went and got him.

“I’m happy for him to get $1 million a year, in all seriousness. Good luck to him and I’ll support him 100 per cent of the way and I’ll be a great teammate to him.
    “Hopefully in five years’ time people look back and say, ‘We gave him a bit of flak early, but it’s a paid off now’. That’s what I want for him.

“You can’t get caught up in other people’s business. That’s his business, not my business.”
    Stringer admitted, though, he was stunned when he learned of the deal.
    “When it first came out, you say, ‘Hell, that’s a lot of money for a kid’. That’s the natural reaction. But once he came to the club and you meet him and you train with him and see him every day, he turns into one of us.”

As teammates, do they joke about the money?
    “Yeah, if there’s a fine thrown up every now and then for a wrestle, there might be a few cheap shots thrown out,” Stringer said. “Or if there’s cups of coffees that need to be bought. But it is what it is. We can’t change it.”
    Stringer wants to play at least until 2025.
    “I want to keep playing until my body doesn’t allow me to,” he said. “I’d like to think I’d get a good 14 or 15 years out of myself.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stringer would consider a lucrative package

Quote Originally Posted by Jake later in the article
    “But would I want to leave the club? No way"
    He'd consider it but stay anyway.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

A nothing article.. If all players didn't consider offers they would be mad.
    Player managers job to show them what's out there.
    Reporter looking for a big story to say stringer would leave. Misleading headline to make you read it, but he closed it down by saying he wouldn't leave.
    Bring back the biff

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds to me like he'd put pen to paper on a fair deal. Pretty reasonable expectation I'd have thought

Post Thanks / Like

I think we have to expect big offers coming to The Bont, Stringer etc Our challenge is to make sure they have reasonable offers from us and they want to stick together as mates and win premierships.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The article is some what out of context. Isn't it from an interview piece that Mark Robinson did with the Stringer family in Saturday's paper?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Click bait.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

9. Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think we have to expect big offers coming to The Bont, Stringer etc Our challenge is to make sure they have reasonable offers from us and they want to stick together as mates and win premierships.
    The Bont is a million dollar a year player from his next contract, Stringer would be $750,000 based on last season and his obvious talent to burn, Boyd is the elephant in the room.

Libba, Macrae, Hunter, Dahl, JJ would all command close to or in some cases more than $500,000 on the open market. Wallis wouldn't be far behind.

Who knows how big the ceiling is on Daniel, Clay, Williams, Dunkley, Webb, Adams, Dale etc etc.

You'd be crazy not to be nervous about targeting another free agent knowing what we have to contend with on the home front.

We don't have the expanded salary cap of GWS and Gold Coast, we don't have the same depth of A-grade talent (no club in history ever has) and we don't have an academy conveyor belt so we can't afford to shed players with the same carelessness.

Full faith in the Whitten Oval team but reality is they've got a damn tough job balancing the books when players realise this is a 12 year career for the lucky ones.

11. Likes bornadog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully by the time Jakey is a free agent we have 4 premierships anyhow!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    He'd consider it but stay anyway.
    Or he'd consider it and go if the money was too good to refuse. Who could blame him?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Or he'd consider it and go if the money was too good to refuse. Who could blame him?
    Not me.

Post Thanks / Like

That article is simply a statement of the obvious. Journos are trying to stir the pot re the Boyd deal and also implying that we somehow won't be able to afford certain young star players.

However facts are that we,be been paying half of Griffen's wages - and won't be next year. We're paying Minson big coin - and won't be next year. We're heavily front-ending T Boyd's contract - thus meaning his ongoing salary is significantly shaved.

Murphy and M Boyd are also on good money, but won't be around in three years time. Add to that the fact that the salary cap will rise.

For me, this is simply certain members of the media playing the same old instinctive "put the Bulldogs in their place" card. Whether it's consciously or subconsciously, they definitely do it.

For the Stringers of the world, the easiest way to maximise their FOOTBALL PLAYING remuneration is to go to a desperate club as a hired gun. He could probably get huge money to rot in Brisbane, for example. Those kind of moves have been made by plenty of players.

However, many of those players tend to drift from memory once retired. It's the one club players, the premiership players, or even better, the one club premiership players who seem to forge good post footy careers. So I really believe it's worth investing in that during your career. Guys like Hodge and Mitchell probably only earned 80% of what they could have during their careers. However they've got 4+ flags and will never have to print out their resumes ever again. Jobs for life. Worth their investments back into their group.

16. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    That article is simply a statement of the obvious. Journos are trying to stir the pot re the Boyd deal and also implying that we somehow won't be able to afford certain young star players.

However facts are that we,be been paying half of Griffen's wages - and won't be next year. We're paying Minson big coin - and won't be next year. We're heavily front-ending T Boyd's contract - thus meaning his ongoing salary is significantly shaved.

Murphy and M Boyd are also on good money, but won't be around in three years time. Add to that the fact that the salary cap will rise.

For me, this is simply certain members of the media playing the same old instinctive "put the Bulldogs in their place" card. Whether it's consciously or subconsciously, they definitely do it.

For the Stringers of the world, the easiest way to maximise their FOOTBALL PLAYING remuneration is to go to a desperate club as a hired gun. He could probably get huge money to rot in Brisbane, for example. Those kind of moves have been made by plenty of players.

However, many of those players tend to drift from memory once retired. It's the one club players, the premiership players, or even better, the one club premiership players who seem to forge good post footy careers. So I really believe it's worth investing in that during your career. Guys like Hodge and Mitchell probably only earned 80% of what they could have during their careers. However they've got 4+ flags and will never have to print out their resumes ever again. Jobs for life. Worth their investments back into their group.
    Well said Webby. I think that most players see past the immediate money trap that is laid out before them. But greedy managers desperate for a percentage that would be lower if they sat on their hands and kept their client at their original club are a big problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Any examples? I can only really think of Mitch Clark off the top of my head. (Makes sense if they've drifted from memory)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Any examples? I can only really think of Mitch Clark off the top of my head. (Makes sense if they've drifted from memory)
    There was whatsisname. And thingy. And the one that wore a hat sometimes.

20. Likes Dancin' Douggy liked this post