Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  28
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Jack Redpath

Post Thanks / Like

Jack Redpath

A few are talking about his spot in the side. I think he brings more to the side than pure stats but even they prove that he is easily worth a spot in the 22. Look at his averages in a few KPI for a power-forward (only counting guys who have played as many games as Redpath unless the beat him in overall number)...

- 22nd in AFL for average contested marks/ leading Bulldog
    - 6th for average inside 50 marks/ leading Bulldog
    - = 18th for average goals/ = leading Bulldog

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Redpath

I see Redders as an AFL standard KPF, as he stats you have highlighted suggest. He is playing a touch better than ok and you can see that he hasn't hit the ceiling yet in terms for future improvement. He has some strong points: he is a good leading mark and uses his considerable size well. He has improved his threat in one-on-one contests this season. He is rugged and gives the defenders something to think about from that perspective. He just needs to round off his matches with a bit more consistency, both in gaining possessions and in kicking for goal, in my opinion.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't sure about him, I still think he's got a lot to improve on. That being said, I like what he's been giving us us and I particularly like his ability to get up the ground on long leads and give our backs a target on the wing/half back line.

Worth persisting with.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm in the camp of he and Boyd can play in the same team now and long term. He's usually a very accurate kick, but not last night. Next year it looks very exciting down forward:

HF: McLean Redpath Crameri
    F: Dickson Boyd Stringer

With a rotation of highly competent mid/forwards like Smith, Dahl, Libba, Stevens, Wally and perhaps Jong, Honey, Dunkley etc.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Boyd's not ready, he'll need another year. Redpath is a just player with a low ceiling, what we're seeing is what we'll end up getting, but that's ok because he's effectively taking the attention and doing the grunt work until Boyd gets stronger and can stand up as our primary key forward.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

He's still very inexperienced at the top level, which makes predicting how much improvement he has left tricky. Since this time last year, he's improved enormously. There are a couple of things I really like about Redders. For one, he's deceptively mobile, when the ball hits the deck he's still dangerous and can apply pressure in the forward line. The other thing that is undervalued in TV coverage but which you notice quickly at games is that he often leads into the vision of midfielders. In this respect, he's a good complement to Stringer whom very rarely makes life easy for the mids.
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

He has been quite good this year and has provided us with a good forward target. Obviously Red still needs more game experience and he'll be more affective hopefully.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

I like Big Tom and Big Jack as our key forwards coming up to the finals. Unfortunately because of the way we play our forward line seems always crowded which makes it hard for the big boys. If they can't mark it as long as they bring it to ground and we are not out marked like happened with Geelong I am happy.

Post Thanks / Like

I think most of Clay & Wally's opportunities against the Suns came from players being sucked into covering Redpath/Boyd leads which meant our smalls had more room to move. Picken's roving effort from our talls shouldn't be forgotten either.

That North game earlier this year was horrible for F50 work with Stringer often left to fly against 2-3 opposition defenders. I'm not sure stats really show the full extent of tall forward value to a team, especially considering we are horribly inefficient compared to other top 8 teams when it comes to F50 entries.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

Post Thanks / Like

I like big Jack, he is hard not to like, its a great story, more like the old school full forwards, there's a bit of B Hall to him.

He certainly is required for this years finals campaign. When Crameri returns there may be times one of Boyd and Redpath (with Dickson, Stringer and Maclean) will miss depending on match ups. It will be interesting to see what our best forward line will be. Injuries will be a factor of course.

Post Thanks / Like

The big question for me is how much better can Jack get? I'm assuming T Boyd will improve dramatically but also sharing the ruck duties.

Post Thanks / Like

He needs to play for four quarters, he can often go missing in the middle of games. GVGjr mentioned his kicking towards the end of the game seems inaccurate, due to fatigue. I tend to agree with this.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the media narrative that only one of Redpath and Boyd can play in our side. They are such different players with Boyd our pack marking tall you can bomb the ball to when under pressure, whereas Jack is clearly our best leading forward. Worth persevering with for the rest of the year and reassess when Crameri returns next year.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    He needs to play for four quarters, he can often go missing in the middle of games. GVGjr mentioned his kicking towards the end of the game seems inaccurate, due to fatigue. I tend to agree with this.
    For such a big bloke he doesn't kick the ball a long way and really seems to be striving for distance when kicking from 50m where his worst attempts were from on Saturday night. Love him with the ball in his hands within 35m.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

He is going to be a player who needs to take his chances in order to be effective, especially against better teams.

With a limited skill set he needs to be converting at 65%+.