Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  28
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Jack Redpath

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jack Redpath

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    I think he is what he is.

Do we keep him? Not sure. All depends on where do we see Tom Boyd playing 2018 and beyond?
    Quote Originally Posted by anfo27 View Post
    I dont think we can afford to play him off 6 day breaks or coming back from an interstate trip. His turning circle is a worry & his kicking for goal is poor for someone who kicks the ball well. Heard Carlton are into him.
    I'm wondering if he can become consistent. Whether he stays, or another club grab him (interesting), if he can become consistent we could persist. But if this is as good as it gets, if we grabbed hypothetically a Lever and could move Adams/Young forward with Cloke & Boyd, an inconsistent and limited forward must get JMac thinking.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I think he is at best a 50/50 prospect for getting another year with us. There are some things he does that I wish some more talented guys would do but as others have mentioned he is a bit of a liability when the ball hits the ground.

I'd like to see him succeed but I have some doubts around him being a consistent performer.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I'm wondering if he can become consistent. Whether he stays, or another club grab him (interesting), if he can become consistent we could persist. But if this is as good as it gets, if we grabbed hypothetically a Lever and could move Adams/Young forward with Cloke & Boyd, an inconsistent and limited forward must get JMac thinking.
    He could be a good backup who wont be on much coin but if we want him in our best forward line set-up then its a no because we dont have the players around him to complement his game.

Post Thanks / Like

Redpath does not take enough contest marks and his body positioning is awful in protecting the drop zone. He needs to learn to bring the ball to ground and in favour of our smaller players . IM not sure if we practice that but how many crumbing goals do we get compared to other sides with big forwards like SYD, west coke , adelaide and port ?

Post Thanks / Like

I see both Redpath and Cloke as good depth-standard players. Their limitations around mobility, goal kicking, ball at ground level etc, mean they can come in and do a job but they aren't going to have much of an impact against good sides and good defenders.

I don't mind keeping one or both around as depth, but the real issue is our lack of a marquee key forward who can kick goals and do the job against very good key defenders.

To find one you either draft em early (we haven't done it since Jarrad Grant) or you buy one that was drafted early (we did that and decided he was a ruckman).

I don't mind keeping Redpath as depth, but we desperately need to find our marquee tall forward to play ahead of him, I see it as more pressing than getting another key defender. It might be Boyd (we won't know untill we put him there and leave him there) or it might mean going to the draft, using an early pick and developing one (doesn't really fit our window).

Post Thanks / Like

I'd prefer to see Tom Boyd with one of Adams or Young up front next year.

Redpath has been unlucky with injury which hasn't assisted in this area, but he's not getting more mobile and the game will continue to become more challenging for him. I'm not convinced about his future at AFL level.

Post Thanks / Like

He is very good at running straight and hitting packs . He is vey good if we deliver it to him properly.
    Why is it after we have a loss we name players and throw them to the wolves ?
    We lost get over it.
    We sound like the media ., they are going at Wallis and Libber, only the start of the year they are praising Wallis and now want him traded ?
    We aren't a bottom club we might not make finals, we won a gf early in my opinion . Let Young , Dale , Williams etc get some games and let's see over the next 3 to 5 years.
    Let's not forget our injury run as well.
    Bring back the biff

8. Likes Bulldog Joe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Redders seems a weird case. His career seems to be, have an OK game, but then a poor one. He stays in (if he doesn't get himself suspended) and plays an ok game. But then follows it up with a poor one.

He's still out of contract. Is this the best we can expect from him?
    Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I think he is at best a 50/50 prospect for getting another year with us. There are some things he does that I wish some more talented guys would do but as others have mentioned he is a bit of a liability when the ball hits the ground.

I'd like to see him succeed but I have some doubts around him being a consistent performer.
    Like lead at the ball carrier for instance?

Agree with what you say. He's the sort of player you really wish would succeed and every now and then he looks like he might be on the cusp but he never quite gets there because he gets injured or suspended. He does seem to consistently kick 2 or 3 goals a game even if he has a quiet one though.

I've given up on him being a superstar or a good-ordinary player. Whether we keep him depends on what our realistic expectations are of him. Being the main go to forward isn't going to happen, can he be a reliable third tall with Boyd/Adams as the main forwards and a back up in case of injury?

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    I'd prefer to see Tom Boyd with one of Adams or Young up front next year.

Redpath has been unlucky with injury which hasn't assisted in this area, but he's not getting more mobile and the game will continue to become more challenging for him. I'm not convinced about his future at AFL level.
    I'd like to see Boyd develop mainly as a forward next year too. Wouldn't mind seeing Young play in the forward line the next couple of weeks to see how he goes. After playing one out against Patton last night he might enjoy a new challenge himself.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Out of all players on our list Red averages the most goals per game. Better than Stringer and Dickson. He would have kicked 2 last nite but Wallis cut off the perfect pass to Red and dropped it. Red stays in my opinion.

11. Likes Bulldog Revolution liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Red. He has been a decent forward this year for us in an area which we just struggle at and need reviewing.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    He is very good at running straight and hitting packs . He is vey good if we deliver it to him properly.
    Why is it after we have a loss we name players and throw them to the wolves ?
    We lost get over it.
    We sound like the media ., they are going at Wallis and Libber, only the start of the year they are praising Wallis and now want him traded ?
    We aren't a bottom club we might not make finals, we won a gf early in my opinion . Let Young , Dale , Williams etc get some games and let's see over the next 3 to 5 years.
    Let's not forget our injury run as well.
    Because 6 touches doesn't cut it at AFL level.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Because 6 touches doesn't cut it at AFL level.
    Yet his ranking points were higher than Wallis and Libba. Go figure

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Yet his ranking points were higher than Wallis and Libba. Go figure
    You know what, I don't know what ranking points are, but 6 touches not good enough. Wally and Libba - same.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Redpath is the problem. Takes a lot of marks and generally a good kick for goal. He's borderline 22, but it's our "good" players letting us down. Wallis, Libba, Picken, Stringer
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

He is no longer a good kick for goal