Thanks Thanks:  12
Likes Likes:  27
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Match Committee - Round 19 2016 vs Geelong

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Backline is ridiculously decimated. Obviously we have Bob, Adams, Morris M.Boyd and Suckling but it doesn't stop there. Bailey Williams would easily be in the 22 if fit and Prudden out means we have no real small-medium defenders left.

I really don't want us to play Adcock but these are bizarre circumstances. Is Webb playing down back in a game that could get ugly really best for his development?
    Reckon Adcock has been saving himself a bit. Not that I agree with it, but betting he does better this time around.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Reckon Adcock has been saving himself a bit. Not that I agree with it, but betting he does better this time around.
    What do you mean by 'saving himself'?

He's on a 1 year rookie contract.. Think he would be trying to make every effort to perform or he's off to the glue factory.

Post Thanks / Like

Strange selections, Toyd and rough in the ruck? More injuries to come? Will surely should have come in, Adcock?
    Suckers and MBoyd both with achillies? Smells bad.
    Dont like the look of our forwards vs their backs or vise versa. Tank.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    Backline is ridiculously decimated. Obviously we have Bob, Adams, Morris M.Boyd and Suckling but it doesn't stop there. Bailey Williams would easily be in the 22 if fit and Prudden out means we have no real small-medium defenders left.

I really don't want us to play Adcock but these are bizarre circumstances. Is Webb playing down back in a game that could get ugly really best for his development?
    Fair comment.
    Given the current circumstances, I would've preferred to see Liam Picken transfer back to the MBoyd role and have Webb or Dale move into the midfield rotation.

mattempo Guest

Bevos press conference had us assured that Suckling would play this week, there isn't much transparency on injuries this year. I'm not sure how much we gain by being coy about them. My guess is that Hamling will play forward and hope to get one or two first quarter goals, I can't see him having a lasting impact there throughout the match.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattempo View Post
    Bevos press conference had us assured that Suckling would play this week, there isn't much transparency on injuries this year. I'm not sure how much we gain by being coy about them. My guess is that Hamling will play forward and hope to get one or two first quarter goals, I can't see him having a lasting impact there throughout the match.
    I don't understand people who take offence to Bevo/the club being coy about injuries. Recovery rates are not an exact science, as long as the players and coaches are aware of any changes I couldn't care less.

As for Adcock coming in, I don't absolutely love it but I can see the wisdom. We only have a couple of players over 100 games (at a guess Picken, Roughead, Wood) and all of our experience gone. To say 'play the kids' when he is replacing our two most experienced and oldest players doesn't really make sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mattempo View Post
    Hamling may pinch hit forward but I think he'll be primarily required down back, given Geelong have Hawkins and a rotation Smith, Stanley and Blicavs who push forward and are all 198-206 cm. Roberts is going to need a lot of support, especially with no Morris to provide the third man up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Hamling may pinch hit forward but I think he'll be primarily required down back, given Geelong have Hawkins and a rotation Smith, Stanley and Blicavs who push forward and are all 198-206 cm. Roberts is going to need a lot of support, especially with no Morris to provide the third man up.
    Last time we played them Wood didn't play and missed him badly. His intercepts are going to be vital in this game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Last time we played them Wood didn't play and missed him badly. His intercepts are going to be vital in this game.
    Yep, ball is going to be coming in that area a lot.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Last time we played them we were that disorganised in transition that Geelong had loose players all over the ground and rarely had to kick to a contest.

A lot has to change for us to be competitive tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

I looked at the outs and first thought gee we are struggling a bit with the injuries and might find it very tough against the cats. But when I looked at the team on paper we are pretty strong, if we go a bit old school and maybe even tag one or two which could give us a 5 man forward setup and make some room up there we could realistically give this a shake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Zaine and Hamling might not be a bad matchup for Geelong's tall athletes. More on the mobile side.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hujsh View Post
    Zaine and Hamling might not be a bad matchup for Geelong's tall athletes. More on the mobile side.
    Their tall forwards are potatoes.. Menzel is the one we need to lock down on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    Their tall forwards are potatoes.. Menzel is the one we need to lock down on.
    He could carve us up with the amount of ball that gets out the back on the transition. Kicks a lot of Crameri-esque goals.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought this week was one to play Minson.

Have Boyd play Redpath's role, and free up Roughead to be flexible. Particularly with the height Geelong have - Rough might be needed in defence again (where he was quite brilliant after half time last week). He also could have been helpful in stopping Geelong from taking so many marks inside our forward 50 - which I am sure will be a massive issue tonight.