Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  16
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cameron Mooney and Luke Darcy say maligned Western Bulldog Tom Boyd should take a pay cut to ease pressure

link

WESTERN Bulldogs spearhead Tom Boyd has been urged to take a pay cut to relieve the searing pressure on the $6 million recruit.

But it’s pressure that is “unfair” for Boyd to have to carry, one former club skipper says.

Geelong premiership forward Cameron Mooney believes Boyd could also win over his teammates by making the gesture to help secure banned Bomber Michael Hurley.

Boyd, 20, is one of the AFL’s highest paid players, but is ranked 458th in the league’s official player rankings, formulated by Champion Data.
    Twenty-seven of Boyd’s Bulldogs’ teammates are ranked higher.

Western Bulldogs great Luke Darcy also said the club should discuss a pay cut with Boyd for the benefit of the club’s drought-breaking premiership bid.
    Mooney said the No. 1 draft pick should offer to drop his $1 million a year salary by about $100,000 a season, helping create some extra salary cap space for another prized defender.

“I do feel sorry for him (Boyd), because there is so much pressure building on this kid and he is still just a kid,” Mooney told the Herald Sun.

“He needs to take some of that pressure off, because I think he has got talent, but how long before we see it consistently?

“He could say, ‘take $100,000 off my contract for the next four years’ and that could help get a fantastic player like Michael Hurley, because they desperately need another key defender.

“And it would cast him in such a great light at the club because it would show that he is thinking more of the club rather than himself.”

But former Essendon captain Tim Watson isn’t so sure.

“The question is, does it help him in some way as a player for him to take a pay cut?,” he said on SEN today.

“It can help the football club financially, because it releases a bit of money in their salary cap, but internally, what he’s going through - and I don’t know the guy - but if it is about the fact that he was the No.1 pick and he’s a highly-paid player ... what difference would it matter if you took $100,000 off him or he gave $100,000 back to the football club?.”

Watson said the system in the NBA and NFL - where young players can only be paid up to a set amount - helps to avoid such pressure being piled onto young guns.

“Tom Boyd (is) one of the highest-paid players in the game, which carries all sorts of responsibilities and pressures attached to it, which I think is unfair for a young player to have to carry,” he said.

All-time coaching record holder Mick Malthouse slammed the idea, saying it won’t do anything to ease pressure.

“No, I don’t think the kid’s got any obligation to hand back any money,” he said on SEN.

“The relevance is a contract, and even if he did take a cut, it’s not going to relieve pressure. People will still remember that he’s come from Greater Western Sydney, he is a young man early in his career ... talls do take a lot longer to mature.

“In his case and certainly the manager’s case, they’ve got no need to panic about handing money back or changing contracts.”

Boyd faces a critical month helping replace injured full-forward Jack Redpath in the run home to the finals, but Cats’ premiership captain Cameron Ling has questioned whether the 29-gamer is up to the task.

The Dogs haven’t won a flag since 1954, but have compiled one of the most talented young lists in the competition, under coach Luke Beveridge and list manger Jason McCartney.

Former captain Darcy, who played 226 games at the kennel, said club chiefs should have the conversation with Boyd, if they needed the salary cap space.

“If you sat him down and said ‘this is going to help the side’, then yes, I think it is something that is worth considering,” Darcy said.

“I’ve always thought you get rewarded by the team success rather than the individual aspect of it all.
    “I personally have always admired the sides which have been able to do that over the years and accept a little bit less (money) for the greater good, in team sport.”

Boyd crossed to the kennel after one season at GWS Giants and has averaged 10 possessions and one goal a game this season, amid some serious shoulder problems.

Mooney, who referred to the salary sacrifices made by the Cats in 2007-11 premiership dynasty, said it was a risky decision to recruit Boyd on such big money.

“I don’t think you pay $1 million (a season) on potential,” Mooney said.

“You pay $1 million a season for results and blokes who have got the runs on the board.

“In my view, you don’t reward a kid who may or may not turn into something special.

“It will be interesting to see how they get around that now because they can’t afford to lose any of their other quality young players over this and other clubs will definitely come after them.

“Guys like (Marcus) Bontempelli, (Jake) Stringer, (Jackson) Macrae and (Lachie) Hunter.

“It is arguably the best under-23 list in the competition, and I have been lucky enough to see it up close first hand (as an assistant coach), but they’re still missing a couple of pieces of the puzzle.”

But Port Adelaide premiership forward Warren Tredrea said Boyd should hang on to his whopping pay cheque.

“He didn’t ask for the Bulldogs to offer him $1 million a season and they knew what they were getting,” Tredrea said.

“He has got all of his best football ahead of him and tell me what key forwards come straight into the competition and dominate?

“People said the same thing about Tom Scully and Callan Ward, that they were overpaid in their first few seasons at the Giants and how are they going now?

“Scully has been sensational and Ward is the best player at the club.”
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cameron Mooney and Luke Darcy say maligned Western Bulldog Tom Boyd should take a pay cut to ease pressure

Biggest load of rubbish I have read this year.

Media just can't let it go can they.

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

3. Likes SquirrelGrip liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Cameron Mooney and Luke Darcy say maligned Western Bulldog Tom Boyd should take a pay cut to ease pressure

Boyd doesn't need to do anything but continue to learn and develop, which he's doing. And graduate off his P Plates. He's a kid...
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

What's Darcy doing feeding it also?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    What's Darcy doing feeding it also?
    Yeah I don't understand that.

Post Thanks / Like

Umm what pressure ? There is only outside pressure from the media to perform, stop going on about it and you stop the pressure: your the ones causing it ! And I'm sorry but who said there is any pressure at the club ? The club hasn't said it the players haven't said it . It's perceived pressure from you the media ! Don't know where it's a money issue, we are chasing Hurley so obviously it's not a problem.

8. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Great tweet:

Grant Thomas@Thomo_Grant 4h4 hours ago
    I'm finding this self serving righteousness by former players advising Tom Boyd to take a pay cut offensive. Did they take a cut?

10. Thanks bulldogtragic, Sedat thanked for this post
    Likes chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

No. But one put an ultimatum to the club to get another ruckman or they'd leave. Hence a great pick used on Peter Street. Hypocracy at its best.

Post Thanks / Like

Great tweet:
    Grant Thomas comes across as a bit of a nitwit at times, but he's about the only person to come in and give the AFL media the sharp shake it needs on the odd occasion.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

The article was pretty balanced in terms of getting quotes/views from a range (about 6 I think) of ex-players/coaches.

If it ONLY used the viewpoint of Darcy, Mooney and Ling - then it would be ordinary. But they have also used Tredrea, Malthouse and Watson's views in there. So I've got no problem with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great tweet:
    Didn't Darc take a 15% pay cut when Campbell Rose first came to the Club? Might be wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

I am hoping against hope that our club hasn't been party to planting this story to Mooney and Darcy to feed to the media. Boydy signed a contract that anyone else would have signed - all he needs to do is work on becoming the best player and teammate he can possibly be. How many 20yo key forward/rucks have torn the competition to shreds? I used to laugh at Hawkins when Lake used to toy with him for fun at the same age.

This is such a poor article and extremely disappointing from the 2 players quoted.

16. Likes bulldogtragic, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Didn't Darc take a 15% pay cut when Campbell Rose first came to the Club? Might be wrong.
    If so Thomas hasn't done his homework.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    The article was pretty balanced in terms of getting quotes/views from a range (about 6 I think) of ex-players/coaches.

If it ONLY used the viewpoint of Darcy, Mooney and Ling - then it would be ordinary. But they have also used Tredrea, Malthouse and Watson's views in there. So I've got no problem with it.
    Why is this being discussed after almost two years.(Boyd's salary) Media needs to let it go. The only pressure on Boyd is from Media jerks, not the club.

We don't need rubbish articles like this floating around.

Post Thanks / Like

These types of articles and suggestions are going to keep pouring in while we continue with our current external comms/PR strategy. Putting your fingers in your ears and hoping if you say nothing it'll go away is the sort of tactic a child uses. If I were Boyd I'd seriously have the shits with the way the club lets him be thrown under the bus week after week. Never any contradiction of false reports, never offering any clarity to reduce speculation, and never any support for him when being questioned about his output.

I'm starting to think we have some AFL double agents working at the club who are seeking to ensure any positivity about our future gets drowned out by baseless negative speculation. We can't be unintentionally this incompetent.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

20. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, G-Mo77 liked this post