Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Beveridge bucking macho AFL coaching trend in public displays of emotion

Link

LUKE Beveridge cares and he’s not afraid to show it. This week he did something that came as a surprise.

Halfway through his mid-week press conference, he choked up. There were no flowing tears or sobs — just watery eyes and a constant clearing of the throat.

He had started this presser by attempting to deliver a clear message: “We’ve moved on — we have to.”

Beveridge was trying to convince us — the outside world — but I suspect he was also trying to convince himself.

Then, as he started to recall the scenes in the Bulldogs’ rooms on Saturday night, he couldn’t hide the fact he was still very much deeply affected.
    There was Mitch Wallis, screaming in pain with a badly broken leg, surrounded by shattered teammates in tears. And Jack Redpath, solemnly standing in the corner, coming to the realisation he would need a third knee reconstruction.

When I noticed the tear in Beveridge’s eye on Tuesday, it was real. It wasn’t drama, he wasn’t searching for sympathy or, as one person on Twitter suggested to me, conceding defeat and admitting the Dogs season is done.

He was genuinely moved to tears. He was sad and he showed it.

That’s not ‘letting the emotions get the better of you’. That’s you being better by letting your emotions show.

I don’t know Beveridge well. But in my dealings with him over the past couple of years I’ve come to this conclusion.

He is different. He is softly spoken. He has a dry — and slightly odd — sense of humour. He is intrinsically kind and very respectful.

When he speaks to you, he looks you in the eye and takes in every word that you say. This may sound odd, but it’s rare as a journalist for someone to really listen to your question, assume you have a good reason for asking it and answer it so.

I’ve seen it from afar, as well. I was at Bulldogs training earlier this year when I saw a couple approach Beveridge to speak to him. He shook their hands and greeted them warmly.

At first, I thought they were introducing themselves, saying G’day to the coach of their club. But Luke spoke to them for such a long time and was so genuine and present in their conversation. So I figured they must have been friends — acquaintances, at the very least.

Then Luke hugged one of them — they were definitely friends, must be.

But as they parted, I overheard him say “nice to meet you”.

Then it dawned on me: This man’s care extends beyond his immediate circle.

Not just about his players, not just about his club. He’s just a good man with a good heart.

I hope little boys sat down and watched the news on Tuesday night and thought it’s OK to cry and feel sad. It’s not weak, it’s kindness and compassion.

Yes Beveridge is a little different, but he’s not afraid — not afraid of who he is or what that means.

He’s a tough man with a husky voice. And this week he choked up, in front of many cameras and, subsequently, into the loungerooms where hundreds of thousands of people were watching.

He’s comfortable with being a caring man and, combined with his captain Bob Murphy, it’s beautiful leadership.

I have no doubt, every young man who walks through the doors at Whitten Oval will be a better human for it. I’d certainly love to have him as a coach.

The Dogs aren’t the only ones lucky to have Luke Beveridge. We all are.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks hujsh, dadsgirl16, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge bucking macho AFL coaching trend in public displays of emotion

She's a good journalist is Neroli... Nice piece.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge bucking macho AFL coaching trend in public displays of emotion

I didn't listen to it - I prefer my brain cells not be destroyed by 5 minutes of ads for every 1 minute of content - but apparently SEN have been having a fair old crack at the club today, i.e. handling of the weekend, too much emotion, Bevo choking up, Bob on 360 last night, Boyd's contract.

This gives me some peace of mind because if the dimwits on that radio station disagree with what we're doing, it probably means we're going in the right direction.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I didn't listen to it - I prefer my brain cells not be destroyed by 5 minutes of ads for every 1 minute of content - but apparently SEN have been having a fair old crack at the club today, i.e. handling of the weekend, too much emotion, Bevo choking up, Bob on 360 last night, Boyd's contract.

This gives me some peace of mind because if the dimwits on that radio station disagree with what we're doing, it probably means we're going in the right direction.
    The whole of yesterday was about Tom's contract, I had to switch it off and listen to music. (I normally have radio on in background while I work). Haven't bothered switching SEN on today.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The whole of yesterday was about Tom's contract, I had to switch it off and listen to music. (I normally have radio on in background while I work). Haven't bothered switching SEN on today.
    Yeah i don't know why they gave the Boyd issue so much time. Just going around in circles.
    Every day this week has been bulldog bashing day. Normally i don't give a stuff as it would just encourage me to dig my heals, but a lot of it was just utter tripe. John Ralph in particular i find moronic. Gets his facts wrong and generalises so much to paint his picture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    She's a good journalist is Neroli... Nice piece.

The way they carry on is cringeworthy. It's almost Chris Gayle like in its creepiness
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Or macavaney/ Rioli

Post Thanks / Like

Ralph malph can't make up his mind .
    Boyds on 1.5, then 1.4. Then it was we're still paying Griffens contract .
    Then there was Waldron, who reckons our list manager should be sacked !
    So many experts on contracts, TPP, and the like .
    Please stop guessing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Ralph malph can't make up his mind .
    Boyds on 1.5, then 1.4. Then it was we're still paying Griffens contract .
    Then there was Waldron, who reckons our list manager should be sacked !
    So many experts on contracts, TPP, and the like .
    Please stop guessing
    Waldron went early with the Dogs chasing Hurley news, and now he's potting us for Boyd's deal potentially costing us players. Ok.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

They're effectively guessing on everything. It's either second hand info, or just saying something .
    I don't think you need a doctrine in economics to realise Tom's contract lessons significantly at the backend

Post Thanks / Like

Earlier in the week..

MEDIA: Bulldogs should demand Tom Boyd to take a pay cut.

Later in the week...

MEDIA: How dare the Bulldogs ask Boyd to take a pay cut.

That's the problem with staying silent on things. The narrative just swings the way the media wants it to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Earlier in the week..

MEDIA: Bulldogs should demand Tom Boyd to take a pay cut.

Later in the week...

MEDIA: How dare the Bulldogs ask Boyd to take a pay cut.

That's the problem with staying silent on things. The narrative just swings the way the media wants it to.
    Maybe Jacko makes more sense now

14. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Maybe Jacko makes more sense now
    A broken clock is right twice a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    A broken clock is right twice a day.
    Not in the digital age.

And I'm not just talking about the clock.

Post Thanks / Like

" rare as a journalist for someone to really listen to your question, assume you have a good reason for asking it and answer it so."
    Many a time watched Ross Lyon or maybe Brad or Chris Scott roast a journalist over a minor point just because their egos demand it.
    Bevo is a great public speaker and really enjoy his press conferences.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus