Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Bontempelli eyes a leadership role

When assistant coach Steven King presented Marcus Bontempelli with the Gary Dempsey Medal for finishing in third place at the 2015 Sutton Medal count, he talked openly about a player who has ‘obvious talent.’

That talent was on display for all to see in season 2015, ‘The Bont’ backing up his impressive debut season with a stellar sophomore year, the 20 year old finishing the year ranked 11th in the AFL Player Ratings, the youngest player in the top 100.

It was a remarkable season for a second year player, but King went on to talk about an aspect of Bontempelli’s game that is beginning to get noticed outside the walls of the kennel:

Leadership.

“[His talent] is matched with a real desire to improve every day, to listen, to learn and create an environment that everybody wants to be a part of,” King said.

In Bontempelli, the Bulldogs have a leader of the future. A player who has the capability to not only take a game by the scruff of the neck himself, but someone who is keen to take his game to the next level by adding leadership skills to his already formidable arsenal.

It’s a possibility that will leave Bulldogs fans salivating at the kind of player #4 can become.

“I certainly have ambitions of being a leader and setting an example for younger players… and I think we have a lot of players who have a similar feeling around that.”

Bontempelli added that he doesn’t need a title to play a role in leading the young Dogs into the future.

"I’m probably just trying to improve my leadership qualities all round and really just take what I can out of guys like Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd and Dale Morris, because we do have so many good emerging young leaders.

“But I don’t think that’s going to deter anyone from leading by example and setting a standard that we can hopefully carry the next five or 10 years.”

link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bontempelli eyes a leadership role

He is a God.

Post Thanks / Like

Only 5-10 years. You need some ambition Bonts, 10-15 years!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

That photo. He's not kicking the ball, far too high off the ground for that.

He's levitating.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

5. Likes Murphy'sLore liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Only 5-10 years. You need some ambition Bonts, 10-15 years!

And 7-10 premierships.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Future captain
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

With Libba and Wally out, Bont is going to step up in this game, and equally, I expect him to be battered about by North in the midfield.
    Primary mission is to win the game, but equally, to come away without injuries. If Picken and Co can get the midfield sorted, I'd prefer to play Bont forward.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    That photo. He's not kicking the ball, far too high off the ground for that.

He's levitating.
    He was on the way down. When the ball is up the other end, and no one is watching, he flies up about 45 metres and works out where to run to. Easton Wood does the same. Don't tell anyone.

10. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    With Libba and Wally out, Bont is going to step up in this game, and equally, I expect him to be battered about by North in the midfield.
    Primary mission is to win the game, but equally, to come away without injuries. If Picken and Co can get the midfield sorted, I'd prefer to play Bont forward.
    Our midfield is going to be undermanned and you want to play our best and most important onballer in the forward line? I must respectfully disagree in the strongest possible terms! I'm sure every week teams are trying to work Bont over, he's just too good for them.

12. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, said with the caveat, if it were possible to win our share of clearances without him there. If were were getting on top. He's only 20 and a long career ahead but with 14 senior players injured we have to be careful to manage this situation.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, said with the caveat, if it were possible to win our share of clearances without him there. If were were getting on top. He's only 20 and a long career ahead but with 14 senior players injured we have to be careful to manage this situation.
    In terms of who wins our clearances players 2, 3 & 8 for most per game are missing this week.

Sticking no.1 in the forwardline won't help the situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    In terms of who wins our clearances players 2, 3 & 8 for most per game are missing this week.

Sticking no.1 in the forwardline won't help the situation.
    Well, anyway, if a few of our blokes can't ramp it up in the midfiend this week after experiencing the emotion with Mitch, I would be very surprised. We should come out breathing fire. I just hope we share the load and protect the Bontman.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, anyway, if a few of our blokes can't ramp it up in the midfiend this week after experiencing the emotion with Mitch, I would be very surprised. We should come out breathing fire. I just hope we share the load and protect the Bontman.
    Yes, pressure on the likes of Jong, Stevens, Webb & Hrovat (if all are selected) to come to the party.. We can rely on Bont & Dahl to play their part, but they will need some assistance from the 2nd tier mids.

Post Thanks / Like

It's not like the forward line is a safe place. The only differences are your opponent is bigger and he can take a longer run up before knocking you over.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

GD, I don't know how many posts I read from you wanting to switch players around. Roberts to forward line, Jong to forward line and maybe even backline, now The Bont out of the midfield? Sorry, it ain't going to happen, The Bont is currently ranked as one of the top 4 in the AFL coaches award for being an elite midfielder. As Mantis says, the guys that need to step up are Stevens, Jong, Smith.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.