Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

I listen to coaches, not 'noise', says Stringer

Link

AMID CRITICISM over his form, Western Bulldogs forward Jake Stringer believes a return to his dynamic best isn't far away.

Stringer has kicked only four goals in his past four outings after kicking 33 goals in his first 18 matches this season.

His form slump lead Hawthorn great Dermot Brereton to say the 2015 All Australian wants to "play his footy without suffering any body punishment" and that he "pulls out of the contest and wants to crumb" the ball.

While he admits he's been struggling over the past month, Stringer says he's been too busy heeding advice from his coaches to listen to critiques on his output.

"It's been a quiet couple of weeks for me," Stringer told AFL.com.au.

"You don't read into the outside noise, it's just really important make sure your internal stuff is sound and perfect.

"I just concentrate on what my forward coach Daniel Giansiracusa and midfield coach Steven King say and what my teammates and 'Bevo' need as well.

"That's who I look for guidance from.

"I'm certain that (my form) will turn around pretty soon, and hopefully before the finals roll around."

Stringer agrees with Luke Beveridge's sentiments that consistency is his problem, and he's been working closely with the coaching staff on the training track in search of a remedy.

After a brilliant first-quarter goal against Collingwood last week, Stringer went missing until several important touches in the dying minutes helped the Dogs secure a gripping three-point win.

"It was disappointing I faded in and out of the (Collingwood) game, which I've done the last three or four weeks," he said.

"I'm starting to feel really good and the work I'm doing with (assistant coaches) 'Gia', Rohan Smith, 'Kingy' and 'Bevo' is really helping.

"I'm really confident in the work I'm doing (on the training track) is going to roll out into games soon."

Sunday's clash with Essendon at Etihad Stadium looms as crucial on two fronts for Stringer, as a win will keep the seventh-placed Bulldogs' slim top-four aspirations alive.

The game could also mark the final AFL appearance of Bulldog-turned-Bomber Adam Cooney, and Stringer said the Dogs would be out to spoil his great mate's milestone match in a respectful manner.

"It is quite special and Adam was over at my house last night and we were having a bit of a yarn and laugh," Stringer said.

"Hopefully I can sneak down to the back line and play on him, which would be good.

"A lot of us played with Adam Cooney and to play in (potentially) his send-off game is really exciting, (but) hopefully we get a win and carry on our form into the finals.

"We're looking forward to showing him the respect after the game that he deserves."
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: I listen to coaches, not 'noise', says Stringer

I'd love Jake to turn it on against Essenscum. It's pleasing to hear that he doesn't care about outside noise. He is too good a player to have another down week.

Post Thanks / Like

Enjoyed JJ's massive hug on Jake after the game. He is such a valued member.
    Even though he is thrown into the midfield, he played pretty high most of the game V Collingwood. Should have gone into the middle sooner I thought.

I wish the club didn't care so much what people thought of our young blokes. The Boyd thing with Carey was unnecessary I thought. So is this article.

If Jake wanted to avoid Body punishment, then why has he been played in the midfield so well in the past? Complete pap.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...med-for-tigers

Hmmm. Look who's named in the forward pocket...

NB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NoseBleed View Post
    http://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/ne...med-for-tigers

Hmmm. Look who's named in the forward pocket...

NB
    Every player on the extended bench gets name in the VFL team. It's been that way forever.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Jake may not listen to outside noise, but I'd like to know what he's being told by the coaches. Nothing about our forward line is working, so I'm not sure the message is the right one.

To me Stringer's been worked out by opposition teams and he stubbornly refuses to adapt. Defenders in the modern game instinctively stand 10m in front of their opponent to intercept the incoming kick. Stringer previously would park himself 50m from the ball carrier, then instead of leading he'd charge back towards goal for the kick out the back. What defenders are doing now is they are claiming the space 60m from the kicker knowing Stringer will play 10m metres behind them looking for the cheapie. The problem is no one can kick it 70m over a defender so Stringer is out of the game.

Unless he's going to start presenting and working hard to get the footy he can't be played deep in the forward line. Other than a kick into congestion that he can crumb and snap a goal on the run we're effectively playing 17 vs 18. He has to play up the field or at Footscray.

7. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Jake may not listen to outside noise, but I'd like to know what he's being told by the coaches. Nothing about our forward line is working, so I'm not sure the message is the right one.

To me Stringer's been worked out by opposition teams and he stubbornly refuses to adapt. Defenders in the modern game instinctively stand 10m in front of their opponent to intercept the incoming kick. Stringer previously would park himself 50m from the ball carrier, then instead of leading he'd charge back towards goal for the kick out the back. What defenders are doing now is they are claiming the space 60m from the kicker knowing Stringer will play 10m metres behind them looking for the cheapie. The problem is no one can kick it 70m over a defender so Stringer is out of the game.

Unless he's going to start presenting and working hard to get the footy he can't be played deep in the forward line. Other than a kick into congestion that he can crumb and snap a goal on the run we're effectively playing 17 vs 18. He has to play up the field or at Footscray.
    He needs a leaf out of Crameri's book. He really goes hard on the lead.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

To me Stringer's been worked out by opposition teams and he stubbornly refuses to adapt.
    Or... He's a young player who hasn't worked out the best way yet.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

10. Likes FrediKanoute liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He has to play up the field or at Footscray.
    Looks like Footscray this week
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    Or... He's a young player who hasn't worked out the best way yet.
    You don't need to be 30 years old to know what work rate is.

13. Likes SlimPickens liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Needs to have a big game for Footscray tomorrow down in Werribee.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Needs to have a big game for Footscray tomorrow down in Werribee.
    Stringer, 21 disposals, 9 tackles, 1 goal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
    Stringer, 21 disposals, 9 tackles, 1 goal.
    The 9 tackles is the best part of that. Has never laid 9 tackles in a match in his senior career, this year has been going at less than 2 a game and best has been 4. Good sign that the message was received re:workrate.

17. Likes Ghost Dog liked this post