Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

Fun-loving Dog's timely return to form

IF YOU ask anyone at the Western Bulldogs about Nathan Hrovat, they'll quickly tell you about his infectious personality.

His coach Luke Beveridge grins from ear to ear when asked about the fourth-year midfielder, while teammate Jake Stringer raves about a "ripping bloke" that "breathes life into the locker room."

The professionalism and serious nature of the modern game can see players suppress any individuality in the name of a team-first approach, and while the fun-loving 22-year-old adheres to that methodology, he believes symmetry between both attitudes is good for his footy.

"Footy clubs these days are pretty professional and serious places, so if you can let your hair down and be a bit of a joker, it's a really important balance," Hrovat told AFL.com.au.

"I'll have to give Jakey a pat on the back for the pump up next time I see him."

Having arrived at the Whitten Oval in 2012 with the pick the Dogs received from Hawthorn (21 overall) for Brian Lake, much was expected of the former Vic Metro captain.

But after playing 18 games and earning a NAB AFL Rising Star nomination in his first two seasons at the Dogs, Hrovat's bubbly demeanor has been tested over the past 18 months.

Indifferent form in 2015, and serious ankle and shoulder injuries this year have seen him play just a further nine senior games, and those hindrances haven't been helped by the Dogs possessing one of the deepest midfield groups in the AFL.

However, regaining his spot in the finals-bound Bulldogs' outfit in round 20 has Hrovat back to his buoyant best.

He sees himself as a roaming high half-forward, who needs to "kick a few snags" to help the Dogs fix their poor efficiency in attack, and with three goals in the wins over North Melbourne and Collingwood, he's holding up his end of the bargain.

And his return to form is timely given he is out of contract at season's end.

"After the ankle surgery in April I'd knew that I'd come back this year, but after the shoulder injury eight weeks I wasn't too sure I'd play again," Hrovat said.

"So being able to come back and play footy really helped (me mentally).

"I wouldn't say I was going to be run over (by other midfielders), but I definitely think that competition for spots is healthy and it shows the depth that we've got and the ability to keep winning with so many significant injuries.

"The main thing was to get back in the side and the (contract) stuff will take care of itself.

"It's been a long year for me, but you could say I've timed it right because the team is doing well."

link
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

2. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Dry Rot, Ghost Dog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun-loving Dog's timely return to form

Time to sign him up I'd say.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Good article. Go The Rat.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

I like him and think he's got a spot in our team long term.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

I think he needs to be re-signed

7. Likes WBFC4FFC liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A month back I was convinced we wouldn't be losing to much if we traded him, the last months footy has totally turned me around and want us to sign him up asap.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

9. Likes Nuggety Back Pocket liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

His class and poise really stand out.

Post Thanks / Like

I have always liked the way the Rat plays. He has had a terrible run with injuries. Here's hoping this is the start of something special.

12. Likes 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Kicks well. Great by foot and we sorely need the polish. Has really improved that side of his game.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Love The Rat!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by redders70 View Post
    Love The Rat!
    Sat at our table a couple of years ago at the season launch.

Very nice young man and wish him well for the rest of the season.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.