Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  41
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Veteran Roos culled

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Didn't we kind of treat West like this?
    West had a stress fracture in his knee, he'd missed the second half of the season, and there was doubt he'd be able to play the next season.

Harvey is 2 goals off his career best season.

2. Likes Mofra liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    West had a stress fracture in his knee, he'd missed the second half of the season, and there was doubt he'd be able to play the next season.

All fair enough, but he was also adamant he could go on (a statement even he in hindsight admits was wrong - FWIW moving him on was the right thing to do in my mind, just felt a bit heartless).

Post Thanks / Like

In his last VFL game he could barely walk. It was really sad to see a champion like that.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly. If he was stinking it up, you'd understand giving him a push. That fact it was done via Twitter amidst near career best form is ridiculous. They're making our PR skills look world class.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I find the timing really, really weird. North will be thanking the AFEL for free agency compo because if they had to pay anything to get NDS then it'd be too much. Surprising Waite survived too with the injuries he's had this year.
    It's likely to be their last game in Melbourne this week, they're probably going to play GWS in Sydney next week and get knocked out. Announcing it now means a crowd boost this week with people coming to see them for the last time
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    It's likely to be their last game in Melbourne this week, they're probably going to play GWS in Sydney next week and get knocked out. Announcing it now means a crowd boost this week with people coming to see them for the last time
    You're way too kind to North I think. Announcing it the way the did and how they did is incredibly disrespectful to Boomer in particular.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I expected the others to retire but I'm shocked about Harvey. He could easily played another year. And the way it has all gone down is astounding. Normally when they don't offer a new contract they make it out that the player has called time. There is more dignity that way for the player.
    They've done studies you know, 60% of the time, it works every time!
    Brian Fantana.

Post Thanks / Like

Chairman saying an 'aggressive reset' is required a fortnight out from finals. What a balls up.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

10. Likes boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Chairman saying an 'aggressive reset' is required a fortnight out from finals. What a balls up.
    I'm glad it's not us for a change in one sense. As much as I don't rate them as players now, except Harvey, 3 X 300 & 1 X 200 game players deserve a red carpet exit and place in the club's history. This is a new low for them, and that's really low.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Pffttt.
    Aggressive Reset?
    They've still got Nahas and Fray on their books FFS!!

Post Thanks / Like

Should give NM motivation for this week which increases the chances of them beating GWS. That's good for us, therefore I give the incompetent North hierarchy two thumbs up.

14. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Should give NM motivation for this week which increases the chances of them beating GWS. That's good for us, therefore I give the incompetent North hierarchy two thumbs up.
    I think it will have the opposite effect.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Roscoe is not impressed. He said it should have been done 12 months earlier...along with Brad Scott
    Get him on. I'd like to hear Roscoe's views on this.

FWIW when I heard Scott say words to the effect that they had to make this decision in the best interests of the future of the club I wondered if Scott would also be tendering his resignation under the same conditions. I don't know how long North can afford to let him run the club into the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Didn't we kind of treat West like this?
    From memory the story I heard was that Scooter was called into a meeting where he was pretty much told he was retiring but given the chance to make the announcement and make it look like it was decision. He asked for some time to think about it and went outside to think it through. While he was outside thinking about it he rang some reporters and told them he was being pushed.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Although I recall a clear feeling of "Norf's headed off the edge of a cliff" during our game against them a few weeks back, I can't help but feel they've fluffed this one..

Harvey has been good this year and is a club legend. The Firrito decision was a no brainer, dal Santo is cooked and so is Petrie. However, Nahas is a never-will-be and Farren Ray was already identified as a blocker of developing talent on a rebuilding St Kilda list.

Therefore, surely it's out with Nahas, Ray, Petrie and Ferrito, whilst Harvey stays?! if you had a choice of one more year out of a good 38 year old, or one more year out of a poor 31 year old, wouldn't you go with the good 38 year old?! Particularly if the other two are ordinary ring-ins and the 38 year old is an in form club legend?!

Post Thanks / Like

I would have been looking closely at exactly how much value they got from Wells too. Good player. Seductively good because the quality of what you get from him is great but he is injured or hampered by injuries a lot.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite