Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  41
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Veteran Roos culled

Quote Originally Posted by Rocco Jones View Post
    I can't stand him either but he is still quality. When rating players I think about how dangerous I see them when they are playing the Dogs. Boomer still warrants close attention.

There was a comment about his form dropping off toward the end of the season. In North's last 6 games they have played some very decent opposition. His stats are...
    Average 1.5 goals per game
    8.5 score involvements per game (Eddie Betts is #4 overall in score involvements this year and he averages 8.1)
    25 disposals per game
    He seems positively driven by milestone games especially. He'd hit 450 next year playing the bulk of the year. I can see this being the carrot that keeps his fanatic drive going throughout 2017. He's a delisted free agent and can take up the last spot on the list. Say we do trade, and well hopefully, and we have pick 66 and a couple of rookie list spots or Boomer and a couple of rookie list spots what should we do?

We took Montgomery for a year, and his season was so-so but was instrumental in winning a final. Stewie Dew didn't do a lot at Hawthorn, but 15 minutes of his in the third quarter of the 2008 GF was instrumental in setting up the win. Stevie J has been a godsend to GWS. I'm not against enquiring with him as he's not getting and missing games with 'old man' niggles. I think a bonafide small forward who can kick goals, link up in goals/scores and if needed go into the midfield is something not to dismiss too quickly. Especially since we've been playing Jong, Dunkley and other mids as a deep or key forward. Given repeating this next year or Harvey, I'd much rather the ball be around Harvey deep forward than those guys and I think oppositions wouldn't like it either.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

2. Likes Drunken Bum liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully his motivation would be a bonus chance to play in a premiership and breaking 450 games is further down the list. Anyway surely when it's this many hundreds already then the fiftys in between don't really count. 500 is the next milestone I reckon.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Suspect a further motivation now would be to stick it up a few at North. Something perverse about putting a 38 year old on a rookie list, but can see an argument either way. Played every game this year, in his last had 32 possessions, 5 tackles and 3 goals against Sydney. Would be a fair upgrade on Adcock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    In my opinion I think this is very unfair on Firrito. He was a player that got the most out of his ability and in a team like ours a few years back he would have been regarded as a good honest player rather than your interpretation of the type of player he has been.

I remember when the Hawks were running through Swallow and Goldy with dirty tactics it was only Spud who flew the flag and he didn't do it with cheap shots like Hodge and Lewis did.

I certainly respected him.
    I don't have a problem with players who are occasionally dirty but who have many strings to their bow - guys like Hodge and Lewis are snipers but they are also brilliant footballers. Even Scott Thompson from Norf is a dirty sniper but he is an exceptional one-on-one defender when fully fit. By contrast Firrito is a bog-standard ordinary player who has the one trick in his repertoire of being a faux-tough guy - that old-skool shtick has turned him into a caricature. He panics when caught one-on-one deep in defence and gives away too many frees, and he shits himself when he has the ball in his hands and invariably just boots it away without looking. It's obviously an effort full of determination to be able to play so many games, but I see him as a player of great limitations who has been able to play for so long in a team lacking depth and who clearly is a coaches favourite who was cut from the same cloth as a player.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    I don't have a problem with players who are occasionally dirty but who have many strings to their bow - guys like Hodge and Lewis are snipers but they are also brilliant footballers. Even Scott Thompson from Norf is a dirty sniper but he is an exceptional one-on-one defender when fully fit. By contrast Firrito is a bog-standard ordinary player who has the one trick in his repertoire of being a faux-tough guy - that old-skool shtick has turned him into a caricature. He panics when caught one-on-one deep in defence and gives away too many frees, and he shits himself when he has the ball in his hands and invariably just boots it away without looking. It's obviously an effort full of determination to be able to play so many games, but I see him as a player of great limitations who has been able to play for so long in a team lacking depth and who clearly is a coaches favourite who was cut from the same cloth as a player.
    Hi Sedat,

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I certainly am not looking to start a back on forth internet exchange on this topic, but no serious North follower would concur with your critique. Firrito has been a fine player throughout his career, and very good this year. Indeed, he is my favourite player, and hence I am compelled to rebut your viewpoint.

To quote the great Glenn Archer, who passed on his number 11 to Firrito:

“I passed it on to ‘Spud’ because I love the way he plays,” Archer said this week.

“He was my choice, on and off the field. He’s a quality bloke.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...085e4936c54cfe

I think Arch's words should be the last on this topic.

7. Likes GVGjr, Doc26, Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe_G View Post
    Hi Sedat,

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I certainly am not looking to start a back on forth internet exchange on this topic, but no serious North follower would concur with your critique. Firrito has been a fine player throughout his career, and very good this year. Indeed, he is my favourite player, and hence I am compelled to rebut your viewpoint.

To quote the great Glenn Archer, who passed on his number 11 to Firrito:

“I passed it on to ‘Spud’ because I love the way he plays,” Archer said this week.

“He was my choice, on and off the field. He’s a quality bloke.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...085e4936c54cfe

I think Arch's words should be the last on this topic.
    Roscoe, don't blame you at all for defending one of your own - I'd be doing exactly the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

FWIW I reckon you blokes will come out firing this weekend - GWS won't know what hit them.

9. Likes Doc26 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    Roscoe, don't blame you at all for defending one of your own - I'd be doing exactly the same thing if the shoe was on the other foot.

FWIW I reckon you blokes will come out firing this weekend - GWS won't know what hit them.
    Thanks Sedat. However, as my brief posting history on this forum suggests, I am a staunch critic on North. For me, Firrito has really been one of the few credible shining lights.

As for this week, reluctantly I will have to disagree with you again. I think we'll be slaughtered.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sedat. However, as my brief posting history on this forum suggests, I am a staunch critic on North. For me, Firrito has really been one of the few credible shining lights.

As for this week, reluctantly I will have to disagree with you again. I think we'll be slaughtered.
    I think Sedat is right, the boys will really fire up (I hope - as it will suit us)
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/west...d506ad3a4d7ad0

As an aside has David King had plastic surgery?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/west...d506ad3a4d7ad0

As an aside has David King had plastic surgery?
    So Doug Hawkins wants Boomer at the dogs. Interesting.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    So Doug Hawkins wants Boomer at the dogs. Interesting.
    Apparently but the big question is has Kingy gone under the knife?
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

15. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope not. We'll all be rooting for your boys.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Apparently but the big question is has Kingy gone under the knife?
    No question about it. The big question is has Kingy put his money on Caleb Daniel for the Rising Star?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doc26 View Post
    I hope not. We'll all be rooting for your boys.
    Sorry Bulldog fans, my view on tonight's result was prescient. I've been following North for too long for them to genuinely suprise me. It was an obvious call tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry Bulldog fans, my view on tonight's result was prescient. I've been following North for too long for them to genuinely suprise me. It was an obvious call tonight.
    Boomer still well and truly has 'it'. Was a fantastic third quarter in particular. He was everywhere last night and again involved in a heap of scoring chains of play. If the dogs brains trust think he can do that next year, then I'd gladly have that influence in games inserted into our team and young smalls like Daniel, Hrovat, Honeychurch & McLean (many did training with Boomer as TAC players) learning from him on the track and in games.