Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Jordan Roughead in 2016

He played pretty much every position this year. I don't think it did him all that much not getting consistent in one position. Got to say, I'd love to have the coaches work out exactly what his best role is and give him an entire preseason and playing season to excel at the position/role. I'd love to know just what that is.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Jordan Roughead in 2016

My concern is:

- Too slow for a key defender. He can only play on Tippet, Hawkins and Jenkins. Maybe a couple others - but it's very limited.

- Not durable for ruck and not good enough either. At this stage.

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to resemble Tom Williams for lack of durability
    Like to see him get a decent run at it.
    Can play on the gorillas, but not mobile enough to play on all big forwards

Post Thanks / Like

He was recruited to the club as a ruckman and I think that's his best position. He's played down back out of necessity, and I doubt he ever would have went back there if we had other key backs to do the job. He's a good tap ruck at the bounce and gets around the ground, which Bevo seems to place more importance on.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm the opposite Hoopsnake. As a ruck he has only occasionally looked competent, for the most part struggling to impact ruck contests or have an impact around the ground. He gets praise for limiting the influence of his opponent, but really that shouldn't be what we are judging him on if we are assessing whether he could be our number 1 ruck. On top of this his body clearly cannot with stand the demands of the position. I think he'll be an ok backup or second option should we need to change matchups up as we did against Sydney, but I just don't see him being the ruckman to take us forward.

The only position he has shown an ability to play consistently well in (and even then its only a small sample size) has been as a key defender. Again he is limited physically, mainly through speed and agility but with our zone style of defence he should be ok and his ability to intercept mark makes him a viable option down there. He is also big enough to play on the big guys Roberts and Talia are too small for (Hawkins/Walker etc.) although come up short in other areas.

We need to give him a spot to settle in and concentrate on without being thrown through different roles continuously. I think key defender is his best bet.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    My concern is:

- Too slow for a key defender. He can only play on Tippet, Hawkins and Jenkins. Maybe a couple others - but it's very limited.

- Not durable for ruck and not good enough either. At this stage.
    And they are who we have to counter in September.

Post Thanks / Like

Besides is Carlisle (who is meant to be the exact type we need) that different from Roughead?

Tall, strong, an excellent overhead mark and not particularly quick. My only concern with Roughead is his ability to go with them on the lead, which has also been Roberts weakness and with our zone defence shouldn't be too huge a problem.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

We can't play Roberts and Roughy in the same backline and Roughy has done nothing to depose Roberts as the incumbent full back. If it's a choice between the two, Roughy probably begins 2016 in the VFL

Post Thanks / Like

Huge pre-season coming up for Jordan.. Coming off a shoulder reco. at the end of 2014 I doubt that we would have got much strength work into his upper body over the past pre-season which he desperately needs if he is going to compete as a ruck over the course of a season.

What we do over the FA/ trade period will be extremely interesting, but if we can't/don't secure a ruck then we should be tailoring Jordan's program to fulfil this role.

10. Likes anfo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

This is starting to get real now.

Ayce is gone and if Minno goes it's Campbell and that's it - if Roughy is a defender.
    Talia is looking gone. Morris & Zaine aren't probably equipped to take on really big blokes. So that leaves Roberts and Hamling - if Roughy is a ruckman.

Bevo and J. Macca have some pressure working out where he plays and then whether to trade or draft for the cover. Vital decision this one I think for the years ahead.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    This is starting to get real now.

Ayce is gone and if Minno goes it's Campbell and that's it - if Roughy is a defender.
    Talia is looking gone. Morris & Zaine aren't probably equipped to take on really big blokes. So that leaves Roberts and Hamling - if Roughy is a ruckman.

Bevo and J. Macca have some pressure working out where he plays and then whether to trade or draft for the cover. Vital decision this one I think for the years ahead.
    Good observation. I actually think between the three we can cover the ruck and the gorilla defender roles if there are no injuries. To cover injury possibilities we probably need a replacement for positions Talia plays and another ruckman.
    Officially on the Bus-wagon

Post Thanks / Like

Listening to Jason Macca today, Roughead will be training to play a ruck role for 2016.

To me it is now official that Brendan Macca's experiment to get rid of Lake and replace him with Jordon Roughead is officially a big Fail.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Listening to Jason Macca today, Roughead will be training to play a ruck role for 2016.
    Good, because he's the best ruckman at the club.

Last season he trained mainly as a key defender according to J-Mac. If he does train as a ruckman this pre-season I would expect to see a vastly improved player. I just hope he can find the durability so he can get a decent run at it.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post

To me it is now official that Brendan Macca's experiment to get rid of Lake and replace him with Jordon Roughead is officially a big Fail.
    What's the point of continually banging this drum? We get it you hated BMac and will criticize everything he ever did.

Roughead hasn't played any consistently good football in his AFL career other than in defence. Will Bevo's attempt to turn him into a ruckman officially be a fail if he ends back in defence???
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

17. Likes Ozza, Twodogs liked this post