Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers And Anchors - AFL Finals 2016 Week 3 Preliminary Final vs GWS Giants

This is the AFL Preliminary Finals Week 3 edition of the Weekly Bankers and Anchors Thread. Once the preliminary game against GWS Giants is concluded post your nominations for:

The Bankers = 3 guys/aspects of the game that we banked on to do the right thing during the game
    The Anchors = 3 guys/aspects of the game that weighed us down by their errors or poor play

Please limit it to no more than three of each player or aspect of the game, but feel free to make honourable/dishonourable mentions. As usual try to make it constructive criticism.

Try and restrict it to individual players rather than aspects of the overall match - I will allow more freedom now as the thread seems to be going down more of the aspects of the game path so you can have 3 for each made up of aspects of the game and individual players.

The thread is named in honour of a popular WOOF Contributor, The Banker, who passed away on 22/04/2012 after a six month battle with cancer.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - AFL Finals 2016 Week 3 Preliminary Final vs GWS Giants

B

Cordy - Took his moments. Two smart goals & KO'd their best player fairly.
    Whole team effort - No real passengers, a few quite, but took their moments
    Grand Final.

A

A few poor misses.
    Gryphone. Was instrumental in at least two goals for us. But thanks for getting us Boyd. He had a cracker.
    Bob's knee. But 2017 looks rosey with Bob, Crameri & Cloke plus any surprises.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bankers And Anchors - AFL Finals 2016 Week 3 Preliminary Final vs GWS Giants

Bankers (oh god, how do I pick just THREE?):

1. Tom Boyd. I said it before, but as soon a Roughy went down he had a tough job ahead of him being the sole ruckman and general big dude and he NAILED IT. He's getting so much better at using his body and doing those little things around the ground. The amount of times he surprised me when he'd pop up out of nowhere to smash out a handball.

2. Our tough guys. Picken, Smith and Dahl are tough as nails.

3. Our defence- I thought Moz and Wood were fantastic. God I've lost count of the amount of times Moz has saved our ass.

Anchors:

1. THE TRAITORS. Yeah I'm petty, as if I'm gonna let this go. Callan Ward knocked out and Griffen barely sighted.

2. Heath Shaw- flog. Good to see Libba rip into him, he's very easy to anger.

3. I don't have a third, EVERYTHING IS COMING UP MILLHOUSE.

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

Team Defence - Just excellent as it has been this year. Wood played well and Morris just keeps going

Smith and Dickson - Kicked a lot of our goals very influential

JJ - Just love his run of half back to set us up and get us going

Picken - 100% effort as you would expect

Our crowd - Watching from home it was just excellent

Anchors

Murph not playing as you can see from the tears but he just would be so proud last night. Equally feel for Wallis, Redpath.

GWS Giants and some of their players who were playing thuggish
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

5. Likes josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

B:
    Clay Smith, you could not write a better story
    Dickson, clever AF
    Lukey D, bulldog. He is it.

B:
    Shaw, carried on like a little bitch
    Me, we won so I bought a 1400$ Dave Hughes gf ticket
    Ladbrokes, I haven't bet for years and made them pay big time

7. Likes westbulldog, josie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Bankers:
    1. Whole team effort
    2. Eastern Wood led from the front
    3. Clay Smith

Anchors
    1 The Plastics fans. They couldn't even fill the ground.
    2. Heath Shaw carried on like a pork chop
    3. We missed some easy shots.
    http://journals.worldnomads.com/merantau
    "It's not about the destination - it's about the trip."

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers
    - the backs
    - the forwards
    - the mids and followers

Bonus
    - the coaches

Anchors
    - my sister for not getting a membership this year!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers

LIBBA - didn't have a lot of the ball but when the game was on the line he was the one who stepped up. Got to love the way he took it upon himself to serve it up to Bleater Shaw as well.
    Toby - wanted the ball in his hands in big moments and won some crucial contested ball. He's a gem and might never be dropped again.
    The Crowd - we were part of something special, truly made 2x as much noise as the Orange Plastics. Also loved the after party under the Novotel. Sang the song 15+ times last night.

Anchors

Giant chest beaters - studs in marking contests, high contact jumper punches, nonsense brawls and Lachie Twitfield.
    Four or so misses from straight in front.
    Roughy's injury - please get up for next week big fella!
    'And the Western suburbs erupt!'

Post Thanks / Like

Bankers (impossible to only pick 3):

JJ for the courage to continue taking the game on in the last qtr and dare to win - had a couple of massive moments
    Wood's last couple of minutes - made 2-3 desperate repeat efforts to quell the last GWS forward thrust
    Smith's goal nous inside forward 50 - courage in spade but a very smart footballer and always runs to the right spots

Anchors:

Delivery into forward 50 - was poor for much of the night. We bombed long too much and also missed too many clear targets. Need to be more precise and less panicky next week.
    Daniel - looked overawed in the first half. Easy to forget he's only a 2nd year player. Only a half anchor because his 2nd half was extremely important and much more composed.
    Forward 50 conversion - 3-4 terrible misses that luckily didn't end up costing us dearly. Smith and Dunkley in the 1st qtr especially notable. Need to nail our chances when we get them next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got home from the long drive back. Struggling to function but want to catch up on all the chatter.

B

1. Travelling fans hostile welcome to the Giants. Stirring stuff, shook the ground with booing and abuse.
    2. T. Boyd's effort to ruck solo for so long.
    3. J Macrae goal. Golden

A.

1. 2 drink limit at the post game pub.

2. Greene. Just do the world a favour and disappear.

3. Ex skipper. Weak. Shameful effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by merantau View Post
    Bankers:
    1. Whole team effort
    2. EasternWest led from the front
    3. Clay Smith

Anchors
    1 The Plastics fans. They couldn't even fill the ground.
    2. Heath Shaw carried on like a pork chop
    3. We missed some easy shots.
    I really only did my part mate.

P.S. I may or may not have tampered with this.

14. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

Good pick up!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post

Good pick up!