Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  7
    Post Thanks / Like

Bob Murphy and stand-in Western Bulldogs captain Easton Wood share a special bond

MARK ROBINSON, Herald Sun
    September 24, 2016 7:00am

T’S hard to know exactly where to start with Easton Wood and Robert Murphy.

And, really, who knows how it’s going to end?

The current chapter could end this weekend in western Sydney, the unlikely scene of a history-making football match, with Murphy in trackies and Wood in tears.

It could be next week, the Grand Final, where both will probably share a hug and shed a tear — win or lose.

And next year will be another chapter altogether. Murphy will back from a knee injury and Wood will hand back the captaincy.

“This is Bob’s team, absolutely,” Wood said this week.

The now firm friends first clapped eyes on each other late in 2007, when Wood was drafted to the Western Bulldogs.

Wood, from Camperdown, met Murphy, from Warragul, and Wood was immediately drawn to the denim jacket-wearing dude with the sideburns, who had a gift of making people feel comfortable.

Maybe it was the country in them. Maybe it was because they were both storytellers. Maybe it was because, in the bravado world of AFL, they were tender souls.

It’s funny that people think Murphy is a deep thinker, because Murphy reckons Wood is as “deep as the ocean”.
    Easton Wood and Bob Murphy after the Bulldogs’ semi-final win. Picture: Michael Klein

That all played out in the hours after Murphy shattered his ACL against Hawthorn in Round 3 this year. Wood and a couple of Dogs officials, including president Peter Gordon, gathered at Murphy’s North Carlton home where, over a couple glasses of red, there were questions without answers.

The focus naturally was on Murphy. But it was also the first time it dawned on Wood he would be the stand-in captain.

“I remember the night vividly,” Wood said. “It was nice to be there for a friend. That’s what it was. Just sitting there in an awful situation, but just being there and being together was nice for the scenario which it was. And at some point during that conversation, the captaincy came up.”

I’ve been thinking about you all day mate. How proud I am. You are the right man for the job. Once you’re out there is the easy bit, just be yourself. The boys will follow you to the moon. RM.

- Bob Murphy SMS to Easton Wood

You can the imagine the emotion. Knee done. Knee throbbing. Is it the end? Murphy said he was in a haze.

“It’s a bit of fog,” Murphy said. “I can’t remember if it was that night or another, but the thing I did say is the players just want to know you’re comfortable. He doesn’t have to become something else. Because of the way he plays — he plays with such authority — he doesn’t have to become something else. Being himself would be more than enough. If he’s relaxed and in control, the players would feed off that.”

Wood joined the Bulldogs’ leadership group in December, 2015, was made vice-captain in the new year and was captain after Round 3. He described the transformation as daunting.

“Call me naive, but I didn’t consider for one moment that Bob wasn’t going to be there,” he said.

“It was a quick rise and one that — and I’ve got to be brutally honest — I thought I was completely out of my depth and completely unprepared.

“Just seeing how perfect Bob is for the role, how well he’d done it and how it sat with him. Bob is a very special person and a special player, but as a leader he’s got the best intuition and ability to get a read of the group of anyone I’ve ever seen. He’s never missed.

“He has this innate feel for the boys and it always seems to be bang on. Especially on game day. I was taking over that and it really did feel dauntingly large.”
    Bob Murphy grabs his knee after a marking contest in the dying seconds against Hawthorn in Round 3. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

A leader by example on the field, the query on Wood was that because he cared too much, he might overcook the job, be too enthusiastic, too involved and put too much pressure himself.

“He’s all heart,” Murphy said. “He’s probably more emotional than I am. His heart is on the sleeve. He wants to do good by people. I kind of wish I played more like him.

“At his best, I don’t think there wouldn’t be a captain in the league that wouldn’t want to play like him.”

The care factor resonated with Wood.

“The thing that helped me early on was being told you don’t have to do it all,” he said. “That was probably the thing I was being overwhelmed by the most, like, holy s---, this job is huge. And then realising you have all this help around you and it would be irresponsible if you don’t lean on it.”

Although it’s been only 16 weeks, Wood can sense a familiarity within himself and from his teammates.

“It’s been a sink or swim type of thing,” he said. “You’re thrown in the deep end and you find out if you can flap your arms as hard as you can and keep your head above water.

“With Bob’s advice and the help from other boys, and taking it head-on, it went fairly quickly from being something I was unsure about to something that I was really into, really involved in and being really proud of being that person out the front.”

Wood didn’t play in that fateful match against the Hawks in Round 3 and also missed the following game with injury. His first game as skipper came in Round 5 against Brisbane, when he was introduced to a whole scope of emotions.

“I’d never run out at the front before,” he laughed. “That was different. It was great. The funny thing is little things pop up. I didn’t know how fast to run or how slow to go, I was constantly looking around and thinking, ‘Am I going at the right speed?’. It’s funny the things you don’t realise which are going to catch you by surprise.”
    Leading the team out was a new experience for Easton Wood.

Being Anzac Day, Wood’s brother McLeod, a captain in the Australian Army, addressed the Bulldogs players for an hour before the game. The subject was his two trips to Afghanistan.

“He spoke about his idea of leadership,” Wood said. “It was quite profound (that) he was there as a captain and it was my first game as captain.”

It’s clear that McLeod is brother by blood and Murphy is a brother by association and affection.

From being a player who battled hamstrings through 2010-13, Wood elevated himself with a spanking 2015 season that culminated with All-Australian selection and the Charlie Sutton Medal.

That was probably the thing I was being overwhelmed by the most, like, holy s---, this job is huge.

- Easton Wood

The mindset has gone from breakable to unbreakable. “There had to be shift about the way I was thinking,” Wood said. “I’m an over-thinker and I’ve got no doubt that contributed to why I had those soft tissues so much.”

Murphy said the club had to be patient with the dashing half-back.

“When he got a good run at it, the glimpses you saw, you thought he was something different to anyone else. His marking, his power, his competitiveness one-on-one, but he couldn’t get a real run at it, so his confidence wasn’t there,” Murphy said.

“You just can’t escape that kind of ... not inner turmoil, but it’s not far off. When you feel like you can do so much more but your body keeps letting you down, it eats away at people. I’ve no doubt it was eating away at him and that’s why last year, when he clicked, it just felt like the sun came out.

“I don’t want to keep harping on last year, but he became like a hero. The courage of his play, the players at our club were in awe of him.”

It made the transition to captain easier. “He’d already earned their respect,” Murphy said. “I was shattered to be missing out, but I wasn’t worried about the change, that didn’t enter my mind at all.”
    Easton Wood takes a trademark flying mark against Collingwood. Picture: Michael Klein

Wood, 27, and Murphy, 34, were close and have become closer this year. Their conversations are still football, but they are different football. Murphy is mentor and friend and Wood is friend and listener. They never talk on the telephone. They never stop talking at the footy club.

Murphy’s job is to provide clarity and guidance, while Wood’s role is to keep Murphy updated on what he describes as the “temperature” of the group.

They are more Simon and Garfunkel than AC/DC, two men who aren’t afraid to explore the depths of emotions.

Hugging is their go, which was evident after last weekend’s win over Hawthorn.

“It’s special,” Wood said. “There weren’t many huggers in football when I got there. It’s not the done thing. But it bloody well should be because a hug is a basic human thing of closeness and connection. I’ve got no shame in saying it’s a lovely thing.”

It’s the new-age behaviour of the Bulldogs. Coach Luke Beveridge is a touchy-feely person and it has extended to the playing group.

“I can’t hide some of those emotions sometimes which, in the environment we are in now, we’re really encouraged to show them,” Wood said. “When I first came into the football club, I was drawn to Bob because he was one person who did that.”
    Bulldogs mates Bob Murphy and Easton Wood at Whitten Oval. Picture: Michael Klein

It’s why it’s been both an invigorating and despairing season for Wood.

The excitement of his journey, of possibly being a Bulldogs premiership captain, is tempered by Murphy’s plight.

“Yeah, I think about him, it’s hard not to,” Wood said. “When you’re close with anyone you always think about things through their eyes at times. And Bob is being as solid as rock, he’s got that smile on his face, being what he needs to be for the team. But I know as a friend, it can’t be anything but a hard time.”

Murphy might feel sorry for himself privately, but has never let it sprinkle on to the players. On the eve of Wood’s first game as skipper against Brisbane, Murphy sent Wood a text message.

“I’ve been thinking about you all day mate. How proud I am. I know how much it will mean to you to lead the boys out on to the field. You are the right man for the job. Once you’re out there is the easy bit, just be yourself. The boys will follow you to the moon. RM.’’

And they have. And no one, absolutely no one, is prouder than the injured skipper.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...db3353e5355896

2. Thanks Bulldog4life, bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes WBFC4FFC, Dry Rot liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bob Murphy and stand-in Western Bulldogs captain Easton Wood share a special bond

Thanks for that Mark. Now there is the question of this little tweet a few years ago
    https://twitter.com/superfooty/statu...87640267321344

You were saying? The Eeker of journalism.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

4. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bob Murphy and stand-in Western Bulldogs captain Easton Wood share a special bond

Bob to remain captain in 2017
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's the article.
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...9af1e3e2b4dfe6

Must say I don't agree with the decision. Wood was outstanding in the role and unlike Muph, has another 6 ears or so in the game. This is likely to be Murphy's last season so it would make more sense for him to step aside, support Easton and concentrate on his football. Hate to say it but his decision seems a little selfish.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

I think our coaches and the leadership group have clearly had a good feel for what is right for the playing group and its culture, and I have no reservations about backing theirs, and Bob's, judgement again.

Whilst Bob wasn't playing for most of last year - he was still, clearly - the club captain.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I think our coaches and the leadership group have clearly had a good feel for what is right for the playing group and its culture, and I have no reservations about backing theirs, and Bob's, judgement again.

Whilst Bob wasn't playing for most of last year - he was still, clearly - the club captain.
    Well we might as well shut this board down then if we simply put faith in every club's decision regardless of the rationale.....without question. What is your opinion as to what who is the right choice for the future of our club?

Post Thanks / Like

Right decision for me. No need for Bob to stand down and now lets do it for Bob.
    The curse is dead.

11. Likes Max469 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    Well we might as well shut this board down then if we simply put faith in every club's decision regardless of the rationale.....without question. What is your opinion as to what who is the right choice for the future of our club?
    Pretty sure Bob didn't get much of a choice with this.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by always right View Post
    I would think it is pretty obvious that my opinion is that Bob is the right man for the job for this season.

The comments about 'putting faith in every one of the club's decisions etc etc' is a bit dramatic. The decision of who should be captain, is a bit different to who should be playing centre half forward, or how many years someone should get on their contract. Picking a captain is as much as anything I can think of - is something decided upon by the feel of the inner sanctum. Bob has been the overwhelming choice of the playing group previously, Easton Wood was still referring to it as 'Bob's team' last season - and I think the way the players and coaches feel about Bob coming back to lead the side is pretty obvious.

There are other clubs with a big gap between their leaders, and the next wave of leaders - where (such as in St.Kilda's case) a player needs to be put into the role, with the support of the previous captain still there. I don't think we are in that position, there are currently 5 players in the team that have captained the club - at least for a game or two - but for Wood, most of a season.

I don't have a problem with you thinking someone other than Bob should do it. But to some extent I take exception to you labelling it as selfish on his behalf.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's selfish either. Bob's the captain. He rightly feels a lot of pride in the role and wants to continue in it (no doubt with half an eye to returning to the premiership dais as the captain the normal way this year.)

I'd be more worried if he didn't want the job.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

When I saw this announcement the first thing that came to mind is we want Bont to be the next captain. Let Murphy captain this season with the unfinished business theme, and keep momentum after after a premiership, then hand it to Bont who'll be 22 and in his 5th year in the system.

This season's probably one year too early, so this seems a natural move. Wood never struck me as someone who savoured the role of captain long term.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

16. Likes bulldogtragic, chef liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    I would think it is pretty obvious that my opinion is that Bob is the right man for the job for this season.

The comments about 'putting faith in every one of the club's decisions etc etc' is a bit dramatic. The decision of who should be captain, is a bit different to who should be playing centre half forward, or how many years someone should get on their contract. Picking a captain is as much as anything I can think of - is something decided upon by the feel of the inner sanctum. Bob has been the overwhelming choice of the playing group previously, Easton Wood was still referring to it as 'Bob's team' last season - and I think the way the players and coaches feel about Bob coming back to lead the side is pretty obvious.

There are other clubs with a big gap between their leaders, and the next wave of leaders - where (such as in St.Kilda's case) a player needs to be put into the role, with the support of the previous captain still there. I don't think we are in that position, there are currently 5 players in the team that have captained the club - at least for a game or two - but for Wood, most of a season.

I don't have a problem with you thinking someone other than Bob should do it. But to some extent I take exception to you labelling it as selfish on his behalf.
    Yeah..it was a bit dramatic wasn't it? I'll back it off a little in future.