Thanks Thanks:  10
Likes Likes:  77
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: EasternWest's "that's awesome" thread.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Also, I drove up yesterday morning. I thought there wouldn't be many coming up the Hume that morning, but holy heck there was a heap of us all with scarves out the windows. I can only describe the amazing journey up to file footage of the Allied Tanks with flags a top filing single file at speed into Berlin to smash everyone at The Fuhrer Bunker and end the evil Reich. Or that's what I was thinking, and then we all passed an Army Truck convoy in NSW and then, damn, it stuck in my brain. Let's get there, smash 'em and claim victory.

A special shout out to the four lovely old ladies who left Altona at 4am Saturday morning driving!! Huge effort.
    We got a great big awesome convoy!

Post Thanks / Like

My grandfather played in the 54 side. The family have been waiting, pleading, cajoling and aching for a flag since then. My dad died four years ago, and he was only two when Footscray won the flag. But he was there, riding in on the train with me last night to the stadium and he was there when my sister and I embraced at the end of the game with tears in our eyes. And he'll definitely be there this week.

And dad would have been super impressed that I shook Smorgo's hand in the security line at the airport this morning!
    Wake me up when we get to heaven, let me sleep if we're going to hell

Good luck, for your sake I hope heaven and hell are really there, but I wouldn't hold my breath

And we all found heaven - 2016 Premiers!

3. Thanks bulldogtragic, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, choconmientay, Mofra, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    You get an awesome! You get an awesome! You get an awesome! Everyone gets an awesome!
    That's two awesomes for me. Is that known as a double awesome, awesome x2, or some other clever name?
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post
    My grandfather played in the 54 side. The family have been waiting, pleading, cajoling and aching for a flag since then. My dad died four years ago, and he was only two when Footscray won the flag. But he was there, riding in on the train with me last night to the stadium and he was there when my sister and I embraced at the end of the game with tears in our eyes. And he'll definitely be there this week.

And dad would have been super impressed that I shook Smorgo's hand in the security line at the airport this morning!
    I have only been a member since 1998 so I cannot fathom the anguish long time supporters have suffered. DoW's post epitomises many of the aspects that make me love this club; loyalty, family, western suburb working class roots, lack of pretension and friendliness of supporters, current and former players and presidents. Thanks for all the great posts. Also if you have a few hours to whittle away I suggest you read some of the posts on big footy dogs pages and reaction to our prelim win - from recollection particularly page 17 or 18 onwards. Heart warming and life affirming doggy stories from doggy supporters and others.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Daughter of the West View Post

Warm fuzzy awesomes. What am I going to do with all these feels awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    That's two awesomes for me. Is that known as a double awesome, awesome x2, or some other clever name?
    You get a bonus awesome for being observant and an extra awesome for being clever. That's awesome cubed.

7. Likes AndrewP6 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Warm fuzzy awesomes. What am I going to do with all these feels awesome.

You get a bonus awesome for being observant and an extra awesome for being clever. That's awesome cubed.
    God this is good. Feels like we made the grand final. Wait a minute....
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

My now 80yo nan & 85yo pop tried to get into the 1954 Grand Final as young love birds, but couldn't get in. (By 1961 kids meant they couldn't afford to go). So he took her on an old motorbike to Williamstown beach and listened to the win on the wireless. Then went back to the Western Oval which was rocking. I've heard this story a lot, and I love it. Recently I heard it at her 80th. We bonded on Bulldogs from the get go taking me to WO with my 3 Aunty Joyce's (not sure how that worked). We were chatting and she lamented her poor health and her only wish 'before death' was to see the Bulldogs in another Grand Final and be there to see it, but she lamented that wouldn't happen.

My aunt & uncle forked out for corporate tickets for them both to the Grand Final and a hotel so there's no pressure to get back to the retirement home. Just when I thought the awesomeness couldn't get any more awesome, I was so proud for the immediate family and for the broader bulldog family.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

10. Likes KT31, 1eyedog, Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My now 80yo nan & 85yo pop tried to get into the 1954 Grand Final as young love birds, but couldn't get in. (By 1961 kids meant they couldn't afford to go). So he took her on an old motorbike to Williamstown beach and listened to the win on the wireless. Then went back to the Western Oval which was rocking. I've heard this story a lot, and I love it. Recently I heard it at her 80th. We bonded on Bulldogs from the get go taking me to WO with my 3 Aunty Joyce's (not sure how that worked). We were chatting and she lamented her poor health and her only wish 'before death' was to see the Bulldogs in another Grand Final and be there to see it, but she lamented that wouldn't happen.

My aunt & uncle forked out for corporate tickets for them both to the Grand Final and a hotel so there's no pressure to get back to the retirement home. Just when I thought the awesomeness couldn't get any more awesome, I was so proud for the immediate family and for the broader bulldog family.
    I don't have enough awesomes for that. I'll give as many as i can then start looking around for more. Because all of the awesomes aren't enough.

12. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP6 View Post
    God this is good. Feels like we made the grand final. Wait a minute....
    Imagine how good it'll feel after we win?

It'll be, dare i say it, awesome.

14. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope you're a captain in your day job. I'll pay for the brigade to print up a Captain Awesome name tag.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

I hope you're a captain in your day job. I'll pay for the brigade to print up a Captain Awesome name tag.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: EasternWest's "that's awesome" thread.

Actually "Captain" is a bit of a dirty word at my work in the current climate.

Station Officer Awesome doesn't have the same ring, but it'll do.

18. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually "Captain" is a bit of a dirty word at my work in the current climate.

Station Officer Awesome doesn't have the same ring, but it'll do.
    Could you answer the phone with that for a month when we win please?

Post Thanks / Like

Could you answer the phone with that for a month when we win please?
    Yes. Yes I will.

21. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

After the game on Saturday Night my phone was going nuts with messages.

Once I was back on the "Bonti Express" I checked my phone and one of the messages was from my ex wife living in Scotland with my 14 year old autistic son. She messaged to say congratulations and there was also a facebook status from my son saying "go doggies".

It's crap that he's not here and sitting next to me this Saturday. When he was born (on Chris Grant's Birthday) I selfishly visioned taking him to watch the Dogs week in/week out like my father did with me. Unfortunately, he never developed the level of interest in the game that I hoped he would, and his anxiety towards crowds meant that we didn't make it to many games.

If I can hold it all together after the siren this week I might try skyping him so he can at least share in the moment.

Go Dogs.
    [CENTER][B]WOOF Member 315[/B][/CENTER]

23. Thanks bulldogtragic, 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes Mofra, KT31, Eastdog liked this post