Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
    Post Thanks / Like

82-year Western Bulldogs member Clive Mitchell is heading to the big dance

Link

CLIVE Mitchell is a Bulldog from head to toe, and on his way to the AFL grand final.

Paid-up and passionate since 1934, the Corio 88-year-old is celebrating after his team broke its Grand Final drought.

That’s not a misprint — Mr Mitchell has been a member of the club continuously for the past 82 years; a fact affirmed on his Bulldogs membership card.

He was only six when his dad first signed him up during the Depression years.

In those days, Footscray was one of the new kids on the VFL block, much like the GWS Giants they defeated in Saturday night’s thrilling preliminary final.

Mr Mitchell watched Saturday night’s game from a Bannockburn aged care home after checking in for respite care in the aftermath of the Dogs’ semi-final win over Hawthorn.

Usually he’s behind the goals, five rows from the fence in the thick of the Bulldogs cheer squad — and that’s where he plans to be this week.

“I just suddenly went down after that Hawthorn match. It wasn’t like me; I felt a bit strange, and I just wanted to get away from everything, so I checked myself in,” he said.

“But I’ll be there this week — nothing’s going to stop me. I know I’ve got a ticket, the next question is how I’ll get there but we’ll sort that out.”

The Bulldogs have not played in a Grand Final since 1961, and fell behind midway through the final quarter on Saturday night before staging a stirring comeback.

“I got a bit worried when they were 14 points down. I thought ‘bugger, you’ve done it again’,” Mr Mitchell said.

“The nurses kept coming in and checking my heart, but I was OK; I think they just wanted to see the score.

“I always knew I’d get to see them in a Grand Final again. I’m planning to live until at least 102 so I can be the oldest person on my family tree, and I reckon there’ll be several (Bulldogs appearances in the Grand Final) before then.”

Born and raised in Footscray, Mr Mitchell was reluctant to move to Geelong when relocated by Shell in 1962, but within two years he and wife Beryl (a fellow Doggies fan who passed away a couple of years ago) were happily entrenched in the city.

He worked as a materials manager for the company, helping Beryl raise a family that now comprises three children, six grandchildren and 12 grandchildren with a 13th on the way.

Living in Geelong gave him a “soft spot” for the Cats, but his loyalty to the Bulldogs remained steadfast, and he has travelled widely watch them play, including attending games in Western Sydney, New Zealand, Cairns, Darwin and Broome.

Footscray played a one-off game against St Kilda at Yallourn Oval in 1952, and Mr Mitchell says this is the only ground he has not seen his team play at, lamenting the fact he missed seeing 1954 premiership defender Wally Donald kick the only goal of his 205-game career.

Asked for his favourite Dogs player of all time he refuses to consider Charlie Sutton or Ted Whitten Sr “because they’re everybody’s choice”.

Instead, he opts for another stout defender from the club’s only premiership; fullback Herb Henderson.

“In six games against (legendary Essendon full-forward) John Coleman, Herbie kept him to just one, two, three, two, one and zero goals,” Mr Mitchell said.

“Down in Footscray none of us ever thought Coleman was any good because we never saw him do that much.”

His favourite modern player is Bob Murphy, and Mr Mitchell wants to start a campaign to make sure the injured skipper gets to be in the team photo taken on the ground moments before the first bounce on Saturday.

Having witnessed the joy of 1954 and the Grand Final loss in 1961, the veteran supporter brims with confidence about his team’s chances this Saturday.

“I’m happy we’re up against the Swans. I’d sooner play them than Geelong,” he said.

“We’ve always struggled against the Cats, so I’m more confident of beating Sydney. I’d be happy with (a win by) one point, but I reckon it’ll be more like two goals either way.

“If they do win, you won’t see me for weeks.”

2. Thanks bornadog, SonofScray thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 82-year Western Bulldogs member Clive Mitchell is heading to the big dance

How good is that!
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Great story . Does anyone know if Gary from Portland is going ?
    I heard he couldn't get a ticket, and he hasn't missed a game in decades .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Great story . Does anyone know if Gary from Portland is going ?
    I heard he couldn't get a ticket, and he hasn't missed a game in decades .
    Surely Gary would be going? If he manages to get to every game in Victoria and interstate year in, year out he should be able to afford a package if he can't get anything else?

Otherwise hopefully the club would come to the party.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Surely Gary would be going? If he manages to get to every game in Victoria and interstate year in, year out he should be able to afford a package if he can't get anything else?

Otherwise hopefully the club would come to the party.
    He went to the PF. He will be OK
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Gosh I love stories like this

Post Thanks / Like

Such loyalty and now reward for it. There is an historical imperative about this premiership.
    Footscray Football Republic.