Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  5
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Lin Jong Weighing Up His Options

www.afl.com.au

WESTERN Bulldogs midfielder Lin Jong admits he may have played his final game for the side after being overlooked for Saturday's Grand Final.

Jong, who appears likely to seek a trade at the end of the season, has been named as an emergency for the premiership decider after recovering from a collarbone injury sustained in the first week of the finals.

He pressed his claim with a best afield performance in last week's VFL Grand Final, but was unable to force his way into the side.

The 23-year-old is happy the Bulldogs has made their first Grand Final in 55 years, but concedes his time at Whitten Oval may be up.

"I guess you could say there's a possibility but I'm still weighing up all my options," he told AAP at Friday's Grand Final parade.

"At the end of the day, I want to choose what I feel will be best for me.

"I'm really happy for the team. I'm part of the team, along with every other boy at the club, who was along for this process of making the Grand Final.

"(But) It doesn't affect my decision, I don't reckon."

Jong toured Collingwood's facilities midway through the season but has also been linked to Gold Coast and is sure to attract plenty of interest in the trade period.

The speedy midfielder hopes he might still be called upon as an emergency after experiencing the pain of being told by Beveridge he wouldn't be playing in the Grand Final.

"Obviously (I was) a bit upset after it but I still understood his perspective," he said.

"The team's been playing so well so it was hard to change the team, which I completely understand. That's just life sometimes."
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lin Jong Weighing Up His Options

Sounds like a bloke who isn't staying is the way I read the comments. GCS being mentioned with their crazy number of top 30 picks is probably the best value trading partner as I think they really need someone like him even more so now.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Sounds like a bloke who isn't staying is the way I read the comments. GCS being mentioned with their crazy number of top 30 picks is probably the best value trading partner as I think they really need someone like him even more so now.
    Are you flipping and flopping with each article / quote you read?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep gone and I'm kinda glad he's not playing tomorrow if that's the case.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt with these fringe guys that it's as cut and dry as purely wanting to stay or go.

Our squad seems very tight knit and a great place to be, but as a consequence of the excellent depth anybody fringe is going to be limited for what the club can promise them in gametime and money. I'd imagine that guys like Hrovat and Jong would prefer to stay, but are getting pretty good offers from elsewhere that would be difficult to pass up.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Are you flipping and flopping with each article / quote you read?
    This is a direct quote from him. Hamling & Smith haven't officially signed, but they've said they're staying 100%. Jong wants to do "what will be best for me". Polar opposite comments.

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

This is a direct quote from him. Hamling & Smith haven't officially signed, but they've said they're staying 100%. Jong wants to do "what will be best for me". Polar opposite comments.
    I don't think that paints him in the right light. He's on the outer of selection. I'd argue that Hamling and Smith have been told they are in our plans going forward and I doubt Jong has had that confirmed convincingly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

9. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't think that paints him in the right light. He's on the outer of selection. I'd argue that Hamling and Smith have been told they are in our plans going forward and I doubt Jong has had that confirmed convincingly.
    All I'm saying is a player saying his decision is about what's best for him makes some alarm bells go off in my mind that he's a good chance to go. To be unemotional, his trade value may never be higher with his best afield in the VFL GF. So if he wants out, we may get a decent return, especially if it's GCS.

11. Likes SonofScray liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a glimpse of training today and Bevo had his arm around Jong and they were walking along and talking.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

All I'm saying is a player saying his decision is about what's best for him makes some alarm bells go off in my mind that he's a good chance to go. To be unemotional, his trade value may never be higher with his best afield in the VFL GF. So if he wants out, we may get a decent return, especially if it's GCS.
    I still don't see that as a fair indication of Jongs character and the position he finds himself in but it's your call

14. Likes strebla liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    There was a glimpse of training today and Bevo had his arm around Jong and they were walking along and talking.
    That love that Bevo shares with players would almost certainly be one of the reason why Cloke is keen to come to us after a couple of rough years with Buckley.

Post Thanks / Like

I still don't see that as a fair indication of Jongs character and the position he finds himself in but it's your call
    I genuinely don't know what the character assertion is that I'm holding out, because I'm not trying to make one. I'm just obviously inarticulately saying or trying to say that reading that article makes me think he might be playing elsewhere. No more, no less.

Post Thanks / Like

I genuinely don't know what the character assertion is that I'm holding out, because I'm not trying to make one. I'm just obviously inarticulately saying or trying to say that reading that article makes me think he might be playing elsewhere. No more, no less.
    Those sort of articles misquote, take things out of context and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Lets wait and see, besides his mum said he will be at the club next year
    Last edited by bornadog; 01-10-2016 at 12:13 PM.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

His mum told me she doesn't know what he is doing but his dream is to play in a premiership side .. If that's the case why leave to go to the pies or GC when we are building an era that certainly has a better outlook on those two teams.
    Bevo has said he wants him to stay .. So it's probably safe to say it's a big offer he has been made or the club has been offered a very good deal from another club.
    I Believe we have offered him a two year deal and Collingwood offered 3 .
    Is it the flag he wants or a longer contract with maybe more money.
    It's a confusing.
    If it's a flag it's a no brainer and let's face it if he didn't get injured he would be playing.

Post Thanks / Like

Hard decision but geez is good to finally be the club that has fringe players that other teams want