Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  195
Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Boyd

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd

Any word from Caroline " Worst trade in History " Wilson ?
    Gee there's a lot of egg on faces

Post Thanks / Like

I can picture Barret sitting at the end of the match snivelling to himself "please don't let Boyd win the Norm Smith, Please don't let Boyd win the Norm Smith".
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    I can picture Barret sitting at the end of the match snivelling to himself "please don't let Boyd win the Norm Smith, Please don't let Boyd win the Norm Smith".
    I can picture him frantically calling the judges, doing the numbers to make sure he didn't win.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I can picture him frantically calling the judges, doing the numbers to make sure he didn't win.
    Beat me too it. I imagine him feverishly sending texts offering to wash people's cars or mow their lawn as long as they didn't give Tom Boyd 3 votes.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

On the SEN show Liam Pickering is on Saturday mornings (Off The Bench) - in their segment 'The Dig' over the weekend, he had his dig at the media ("To the media....all of you - Mark Thompson style - ALL OF YOU")...

Basically said to 'all of the media that made it hard for Tom, who put pressure on him etc' that he hoped that they enjoyed last Saturday and can maybe now see that he has something special.

6. Likes Mofra, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, good on ya a Pickers. Certainly helps when you are backing self interest!
    More of an In Bruges guy?

8. Likes bulldogtragic, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    On the SEN show Liam Pickering is on Saturday mornings (Off The Bench) - in their segment 'The Dig' over the weekend, he had his dig at the media ("To the media....all of you - Mark Thompson style - ALL OF YOU")...

Basically said to 'all of the media that made it hard for Tom, who put pressure on him etc' that he hoped that they enjoyed last Saturday and can maybe now see that he has something special.
    Weren't you one of the sceptics?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I think there is a difference between being a sceptic and calling him a spud, a failure, the worst trade in history, a waste of money.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    Did she actually say this???
    It's such a bizarre thing to say, given most talls take a long time to develop. Tom isn't a lumbering dinosaur, he moves well and has a good footy brain. Even a average Joe Shmoe like myself can see that.
    Why you would pull such an early trigger with an opinion like that is beyond me. Richmond jealousy coming through? Very strange.

Can I now be justified in my dislike for Caroline Wilson and not be called a misogynist? There is nothing more to it - I just don't like the way she constructs the footy narrative, although now and then she gets it right. Negative Nelly.

Even in my wildest dreams, I never imagined Tom playing such a huge role in a grand final, second year with us.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    I think there is a difference between being a sceptic and calling him a spud, a failure, the worst trade in history, a waste of money.
    True
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    I'm not sure I'd use the word sceptic - but I was definitely nervous about Tom, no doubt there.

During the middle of this season, I would go to games and watch Tom with a knot in my stomach - hoping that we would start to see something, and being very nervous both for him, and for us who traded for him. I'd spent the first 1.5 years of his time with us, defending the decision to any and all mates who potted us for getting him in on the massive contract - and it was testing the faith when we were getting little back.

The Geelong game was a good sign, but I actually think the Essendon game was the first time I was convinced. Not so much during the game - but afterwards - I saw a video someone had made (possibly AL's Highlights) of every involvement Tom had in the game, and could see in that, that he was starting to get it. Starting to attack balls in the air and impact contests.

His finals series was obviously very good. Probably our best tall in Perth. Solid in the next two, then spectacular in the Grand Final.

Whilst I'm not expecting every game from now on to be exactly like the Grand Final - you would expect that this is his new benchmark for work rate, intensity - and the way he imposes himself on contests.

14. Likes bornadog, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Whilst I'm not expecting every game from now on to be exactly like the Grand Final - you would expect that this is his new benchmark for work rate, intensity - and the way he imposes himself on contests.
    At 21 and with less than 40 games under his belt his tank will only get better.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I'd use the word sceptic - but I was definitely nervous about Tom, no doubt there.

During the middle of this season, I would go to games and watch Tom with a knot in my stomach - hoping that we would start to see something, and being very nervous both for him, and for us who traded for him. I'd spent the first 1.5 years of his time with us, defending the decision to any and all mates who potted us for getting him in on the massive contract - and it was testing the faith when we were getting little back.

The Geelong game was a good sign, but I actually think the Essendon game was the first time I was convinced. Not so much during the game - but afterwards - I saw a video someone had made (possibly AL's Highlights) of every involvement Tom had in the game, and could see in that, that he was starting to get it. Starting to attack balls in the air and impact contests.

His finals series was obviously very good. Probably our best tall in Perth. Solid in the next two, then spectacular in the Grand Final.

I thought he was almost our best in the prelim. Mumford was starting to rwally dominate him but Tom found a bit and got on top of Mumford again.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

17. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    She also said after the Tambling draft day that this was the "greatest day in the history of the Richmond Football Club". She's prone to the odd egg on face comments.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

"How much egg would you like with that Caro? This much?"

The less diplomatic among you might even wonder if Boyd's yelling "EABOD THIS big!", but I couldn't possibly go there.
    BORDERLINE FLYING

20. Likes dadsgirl16, 1eyedog liked this post