Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  195
Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Tom Boyd

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Was it Roughie who said halfway through the fourth he started calling Boyd Norm?

I hope not, we were only 1 point up with 7 minutes to go!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    He was best on in a Grand Final. For me I don't care if he ever perfroms in another game ever again.
    Mate he is going to get even better.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I think I'm up to repeat number 8 of watching the whole game. I get that JJ had over 800m gained, but 250-300 of those metres were direct turnovers. I just can't understand how he wasn't Normie.
    I keep revisiting this myself, only up to 6 repeats though. JJ absolutely butchered the ball in the first half. Don't get me wrong, JJ was very good, his gains were great, he broke lines when no-one else could and put himself in goal scoring positions. His defensive work was also good. It was almost the perfect match, but not quite. The not quite goal, the not quite field kicking...

Three of the Norm Smith vote givers seem caught up with total possessions rather than impact on the final result, and there's no doubt in my mind that Boyd affected the final result more than JJ did, more than anyone did. It's like everyone who didn't give Boyd the votes were that immersed in the game that they forgot their roles, and quickly looked up the stats at the end.

Everyone I speak to thinks the same. It's quite perplexing.

I thought Kennedy had as much a stake on the medal as JJ.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep revisiting this myself, only up to 6 repeats though. JJ absolutely butchered the ball in the first half. Don't get me wrong, Jj was very good, his gains were great, he broke lines when no-one else could and put himself in goal scoring positions. His defensive work was also good. It was almost the perfect match, but not quite. The not quite goal, the not quite field passes...

Three of the Norm Smith vote givers seem caught up with total possessions rather than impact on the final result, and there's no doubt in my mind that Boyd affected the final result more than JJ did, more than anyone did. It's like everyone who didn't give Boyd the votes were that immersed in the game that they forgot their roles, and quickly looked up the stats at the end.

Everyone I speak to thinks the same. It's quite perplexing.

I thought Kennedy had as much a stake on the medal as JJ.
    Where we were standing we all said Tom was going to get it, and hypothesised anyone else and all our second guesses was Picko.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Where we were standing we all said Tom was going to get it, and hypothesised anyone else and all our second guesses was Picko.
    What I love about Boyd [what's not to love] was how stoked he was when JJ's name was called. He was right behind JJ and looked genuinely rapt #realteamplayer
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

6. Likes bulldogtragic, Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

In the coaches award fo the Gary Ayres the votes were JJ 9 votes (5 from 1 coach, 4 the other), Boyd 8 votes (5-3), Kennedy 7 votes (4-3). Would be interesting to find out whether Bevo gave JJ or Tom the 5 votes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    I'll never not enjoy that. The most glorious 30 seconds of football in our history.
    Like a few of us in the crowd, BT drops the F-Bomb.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    In the coaches award fo the Gary Ayres the votes were JJ 9 votes (5 from 1 coach, 4 the other), Boyd 8 votes (5-3), Kennedy 7 votes (4-3). Would be interesting to find out whether Bevo gave JJ or Tom the 5 votes.
    Thought I read an article a week back that surmised Bevo gave the votes to Tommy.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Bevo gave Tom full votes in the Ayres medal.

11. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Ok enjoy this again:

Is the F bomb on the DVD?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the F bomb on the DVD?
    Yes it is, they didn't edit it

14. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogsthru&thru, Templeton31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Yes it is, they didn't edit it
    Hope they don't in the victory pack.....captures the emotion of the event!

16. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you could easily make a case for any of JJ, Boyd or Kennedy as best on ground - and that reflected in the voting of the panel and of the coaches. JJ being norm smith is far from controversial, nor would Tom or JK winning it. Plenty of players had big quarters or halves - JJ was prominent in all 4 quarters - so for judges voting on it at the time.

When the siren sounded, although I had money on JJ, and thought after the game that he'd won it - I was actually barracking against my pocket, for Tom - for the 'stick that up your jumper' factor.

But I'd be thrilled for any player of ours to win it - and mostly thought it was great that our grand final wasn't one where the losing team's best player wins the medal.

Post Thanks / Like

I think they usually get the team right with the Norm Smith and it takes an extrodinary game to win it for tge losing team.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    The moment I thought, we will win this.

Just on that, have 100,000 people ever watched a ball bounce, and will it to go over the line (or the other way) as much as this one time? It seemed to take an eternity! And i thought it was gonna bounce back.