Thanks Thanks:  30
Likes Likes:  195
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718192021

Thread: Tom Boyd

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tom Boyd

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post
    I’ve read it too. I think it’s very interesting and insightful on the mental health challenges. And in particular the pressure to play hurt, very early on in his career he had injuries which required surgery but was instead taped up/jabbed up to keep him out on the field.

But it is probably written a bit early for it to be a really honest picture of his time at the Bulldogs. We barely get a line or two on Bob Murphy, for example, no really clear picture of Bevo with his faults, idiosyncrasies and genius, and he’s not spilling the beans on any of his team-mates.

In contrast I’ve been enjoying listening to Tom on the podcast with Danny McGillvray where he shows a sense of humour, is self deprecating and real, and gives thoughtful insights and reflections and some of the insider stuff we all pine for…his comments when they watched the 2016 PF together really opened my eyes to new things…how fantastic Bont’s goal was in the circumstances; how so many of the little things we had trained for, and trained for; just how fatigued they were in the last quarter with burning legs that felt like concrete. Maybe it’s inevitable that in book form, Tom is less frank and open.

One thing I hated to read was the behaviour of some “supporters”..pushing aside his girlfriend to get selfies with him; a drunk coterie person who insulted him by saying he never rated him even while he drooled all over him; and just the fickleness of some fans.

It’s a good read, but you feel there is even more that could be said.
    Actually agree with all this, more well said than I could manage.

I'll be having a word to Danny about his surname. I think McGillvray is much better than McGinlay.
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EasternWest View Post
    Actually agree with all this, more well said than I could manage.

I'll be having a word to Danny about his surname. I think McGillvray is much better than McGinlay.
    I’d like to blame autocorrect…but…
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Tommy breaks down the silliness of the question after all these years still, on trade radio:

"If you were 18 years old and a club offered you $1 million bucks, what would you do?”

I think it’s a rhetorical question, but being people are still talking about the contract, maybe not?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023