Likes Likes:  224
Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Membership 2017 - Target 50,000

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    Western Bulldogs official twitter posted it
    We are way behind the big boys. Hawks 60k already and Bombres 43k plus
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Having record membership numbers is nice and all but personally I don't care too much about the numbers. Clubs manipulate them in all sorts of ways with 3 game memberships, etc. The only thing that really matters is the money generated from memberships. Given we have a maxed out social club and presumably should cash in with increased reserved seat members, coterie groups, etc that should see us pulling in record membership revenue.
    Top Dogs coterie is sold out. I inquired about joining for next season and wasn't able to get in, and at $2000 for a couple that's a pretty decent earner for the club.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Top Dogs coterie is sold out. I inquired about joining for next season and wasn't able to get in, and at $2000 for a couple that's a pretty decent earner for the club.
    Do they have a waiting list for you and others to go onto, or another up scaled coterie group or membership add on to take everyone's cash for the good of the club?
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Do they have a waiting list for you and others to go onto, or another up scaled coterie group or membership add on to take everyone's cash for the good of the club?
    I didn't ask, I was looking at upgrading but wasn't desperate. There's the Westerners which is $6000 for a couple, but that's mostly a business networking coterie. The next option is the Players Sponsor coterie which is $3700 for a couple. Given the other half isn't likely to get to many games we figured that's probably a stretch, but if the excitement leads to more people joining coteries that's got to be a good thing.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

5. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Here is an article from a bit back that may clarify some stats -

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...66a6ea529d6191

AFL clubs boosting membership numbers by including sponsors, community groups and schools

ELIZA SEWELL, Herald Sun
    August 18, 2016 8:00pm
    Subscriber only

AFL clubs are boosting prized membership numbers by including tickets in corporate and sponsorship deals.

Community groups, sporting associations and schools are also given bulk memberships by some clubs, which are included in official season tallies.

The AFL has tightened membership regulations and to be counted as a member an individual must have a name, contact details, have contributed $50 to the club and received a membership pack.

The AFL is expected to announce record club membership numbers next week, but clubs this week were reluctant to provide a breakdown of just who its members are.

North Melbourne said it doesn’t have a membership deal with its sponsors while Geelong said it doesn’t give sponsors “bulk” memberships.

Melbourne said its membership entitlements in sponsorship packages were “minimal”.

Essendon fans celebrate the club’s second win of 2016.
    Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Richmond and St Kilda did not respond to direct questions about any membership component of their sponsorship deals or provide clarity on any community membership strategy.

Western Bulldogs sponsor Victoria University offers all its students and staff a free, three-game Bulldogs’ home membership. The Bulldogs would not disclose the number of members in this category.

Some clubs are giving memberships to community or school groups. This practice is part of an “acquisition strategy”, to encourage people to re-sign the following year as an independently paid member.

Essendon offered a two-for-one deal earlier this year and the late sprint to the July 31 deadline for the 2016 count saw Carlton promoting a free membership for the rest of this season for those who signed up or renewed their membership.

The official counts also incudes multiple memberships held by an individual.

Saints fans aren’t fans of Lindsay Thomas.
    Pet memberships are not counted but the AFL confirmed babies and toddlers are included.

Big numbers don’t always mean financial rewards for clubs.

Essendon celebrated a record membership of 60,818 in 2015, but “membership revenues” was actually down by $48,000, to $10.83 million. This year the Bombers have 57,494 members.

The AFL told the Herald Sun in a statement: “To be counted in the AFL’s official membership tally, a member must have a name, personal contact details, made a financial contribution of more than $50 toward the club, received a membership pack and be supported by a retention strategy.

“The AFL is supportive of clubs utilising relationships with partners as part of their acquisition and retention strategies and we work with clubs to ensure the above criteria is met to be counted in the AFL’s official tally.”
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

7. Thanks 1eyedog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    Dec 14: 29,302.

Wow.
    Great number. 50K certainly within reach.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post

I think the players sponsors are would be full as well. It's a good problem to have but it can alienate supporters.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good article KT, shows how the total membership tally doesn't mean all that much.

A quick look at our financials shows $5.15 million in membership revenue in 2015 and $4.79 million in 2014. You would expect 2016 will be well up on those figures with hopefully another large jump in 2017.

11. Likes KT31 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    That's a good article KT, shows how the total membership tally doesn't mean all that much.

A quick look at our financials shows $5.15 million in membership revenue in 2015 and $4.79 million in 2014. You would expect 2016 will be well up on those figures with hopefully another large jump in 2017.
    This is the best way of looking at it, if a list was published of each clubs membership revenue I expect a few off the so called Biggies would be knocked down a peg or two.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KT31 View Post
    This is the best way of looking at it, if a list was published of each clubs membership revenue I expect a few off the so called Biggies would be knocked down a peg or two.
    Is this something that should be more regulated? Membership numbers can act as a marketing ploy. New fans love a bandwagon, especially in this social media era, and typically gravitate towards the masses. A high membership count could lead to more and more members as it looks the popular choice

Post Thanks / Like

I recall reading this article a couple of years back. It shines a clear light on some of the smoke and mirrors... It's the composition of packages sold, rather than sheer numbers, which talks loudest. Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn in particular seem to sell a lot of junk memberships, whilst WCE and Freo sell theirs at a premium. (Albeit this was published at the end of a mining boom.) It makes the case for a third team in Perth far stronger than the case for a Tassie or western Sydney team - should the expansion topic ever pop up again..

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...506-zr5tt.html

15. Thanks KT31 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    I recall reading this article a couple of years back. It shines a clear light on some of the smoke and mirrors... It's the composition of packages sold, rather than sheer numbers, which talks loudest. Carlton, Richmond and Hawthorn in particular seem to sell a lot of junk memberships, whilst WCE and Freo sell theirs at a premium. (Albeit this was published at the end of a mining boom.) It makes the case for a third team in Perth far stronger than the case for a Tassie or western Sydney team - should the expansion topic ever pop up again..

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-new...506-zr5tt.html
    Thanks for posting Webby.

On a side note (sorry Mods )
    Does anyone else think of the actor Chris Elliott when they see Jake Niall ?
    Last edited by KT31; 15-12-2016 at 06:04 PM.

17. Likes Cyberdoggie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also my Membership packs arrived today so keep your eyes out for deliveries people.

19. Thanks bulldogtragic thanked for this post
    Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Also my Membership packs arrived today so keep your eyes out for deliveries people.
    Yep. My wife, son and daughter all received theirs in the post on Wednesday, and mine arrived yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like

My membership pack came today. Looks good. Would probably prefer the beanie to not have a pompom but I'm just being picky! Scarf looks really good.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]