Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  26
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Matty Boyd signs for another Year

Do we know if there is any player who started through the rookie list at any club that has played more games.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Do we know if there is any player who started through the rookie list at any club that has played more games.
    Dean Cox has 290. Not sure if he's the record holder, I think he might be.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog Joe View Post
    Firrito was a rookie did he play 300? Milne I think was too.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Firrito and Milne both played 275 games.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to be over the top, but a genuine couple of questions:

Has he played on one too many seasons? For me, yep.
    Should we have offered him another year? Especially with a glut of HBFs. For me, no. He should've left on top as an AA & Premiership Player.
    Will he play 11 more games, getting to 300? For me, I'm not really sure he will if he can't turn his form around.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Cliff appears to be approaching faster than we hoped.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

7. Thanks AndrewP6 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

He's worn a few heavy hits in the first month, and with a few like Matt struggling to carry the load due to the instability to select our best 22 through injury, form and the annual list changes.

It's a long season and I'm expecting that his hardness and experience will become very useful in the winter months and hopefully when our list takes better shape than it is right now.

He will need to be managed through the season to keep him fresh whilst allowing the likes of Williams and Webb to get the necessary games into them.

9. Likes bornadog, westbulldog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Half way through last season we put off contract talks, he earned AA.

Not even half way through this season he's shown less than acceptable form in a couple of games, OK form in a couple and good form in one or two.......

The dysfunction of our entire playing list and the way it's being coached definitely has something to do with it for mine, put some solid players in solid form around him and he'll produce more.

We were a shambles doing our best to hang on tonight due to experience and personnel issues. The fact he and others didn't completely crumble is a testament to the fortitude of the list.

If and when we have personnel back and settled, he'll be a different player.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    Half way through last season we put off contract talks, he earned AA.

Not even half way through this season he's shown less than acceptable form in a couple of games, OK form in a couple and good form in one or two.......

The dysfunction of our entire playing list and the way it's being coached definitely has something to do with it for mine, put some solid players in solid form around him and he'll produce more.

We were a shambles doing our best to hang on tonight due to experience and personnel issues. The fact he and others didn't completely crumble is a testament to the fortitude of the list.

If and when we have personnel back and settled, he'll be a different player.
    My concern is that his surehandedness appears to have disappeared. He's fumbling more and when was the last time you saw him take an overhead mark, one of his traits in the last couple of years? His lack of pace is nothing new but he is out of the contest so quickly nowadays I'm no longer sure he's in our best 22.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

With a lot coming back over the next few weeks, I think he's squeezed out. Spots are going to be hard to come by and Williams + Webb have definitley gone past him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    With a lot coming back over the next few weeks, I think he's squeezed out. Spots are going to be hard to come by and Williams + Webb have definitley gone past him.
    Will be interesting to see how we handle the awkwardness of exiting a club champion. Not saying he's dead and buried, but it's on the horizon.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Will be interesting to see how we handle the awkwardness of exiting a club champion. Not saying he's dead and buried, but it's on the horizon.
    I'm happy to take out bets that if Boyd doesn't get to 300 games, 'if' he can't turn it around, the media haters will say it's the worst lack of sportsmanship since Mike Atherton declaring on Graeme Hick.

Post Thanks / Like

He needs to find form, but I wouldn't call time on him yet
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    Agree about the present.

Still think his past has been underrated.

Will be interesting in how we deal with Murphy, Boyd and Morris all potentially being gone end of season.

Post Thanks / Like

I can see Bob and Dale going again next season. Bob has that body type - wiry but strong - that is conducive to career longevity and he has not lost any speed or lateral movement. For me it is a question of Bob's mental motivation. Dale started late at AFL level so has less miles on the clock, and he is still an elite one-on-one defender. The end comes quickly for older players but I can see these two having another 12 months left at the top of their game - perhaps more (in particular Morris) but let's cross that bridge in 12 months time.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"