Thanks Thanks:  140
Likes Likes:  278
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: WBFC - Player Contract Status

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Just dredging this Johannisen thing again. He's the player I'd probably want us to sign the most... oh, just behind Bontempelli, Dahlhaus, Hunter, Stringer, Wallis, Macrae and perhaps Roughead & Daniel...

Oh, and not to mention Wood - who has several years left in him...

So yeah, 7% or one-fourteenth of our salary cap on JJ isn't going to happen. It's a simple case of "do you want to be in a great side or not?"

The answer is, we'll help you get to the club of your choice and take the compensation pick.... Or, alternatively, pull your head in and meet us at the level we're offering. I think JJ will find that he can only get close to the numbers he wants from the far less attractive (and desperate) clubs with the cap space.

Even with the astronomical money (and Brownlow) that Ablett received for his move to GC, I still get the feeling that he's been unfulfilled and yearns for Geelong. He was loved at Geelong, whilst I'm not sure he's even particularly popular at Gold Coast! He could've played in another flag or two at Geelong, whilst Selwood and Dangerfield would be nothing but support acts in comparison to Ablett at Geelong - had he stayed.

Point is, money's not everything and I reckon Ablett's an example of a bloke who'd literally give up a couple of million to be back at Geelong - with the benefit of hindsight. As silly as it sounds, it's a painful lesson and you don't get the years back
    Warwick Capper said the same thing on his Open Mike episode, when quizzed about leaving and whether Buddy Franklin should leave for big dollars. Capper said he regretted moving for the big pay day, and if he had his time again he wouldn't make the move for (then) crazy money and would've stayed at Sydney for team success and good money. Also said that Buddy shouldn't leave Hawthorn either for the same reasons.

I'm all for people who want to extract every cent whilst playing, but if you value premierships and personal success and can get $800,000-$1,000,000 at your current club with the likelihood of success, if you invest the money really well then the extra cash shouldn't necessarily be the 'be all and end all'. But if you make the decision to leave for huge cash offerings, you need to make peace with yourself as the sole person whose signature appears on the contract. He doesn't seem to be at peace about the decision he made, and he won't get back to Geelong again. As a Christian follower, it's all 'God's plan' for him so he should accept that his lord works in mysterious ways (especially with those who have greed), but that The AFEL and AFL clubs don't. You sign it, your theirs. There's no way they can let him go, as it will look like the metaphoric captain abandoning ship.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Browne from Ch 7 reporting that talks between the club and JJ are back on and that something will be worked out 'sooner rather than later'. This apparently on the back of a heart to heart between Bevo and JJ. Stayed tuned. #lovemycoach
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

3. Likes bulldogtragic, N/A, hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Tom Browne from Ch 7 reporting that talks between the club and JJ are back on and that something will be worked out 'sooner rather than later'. This apparently on the back of a heart to heart between Bevo and JJ. Stayed tuned. #lovemycoach
    Great news. Just heard similar reported on the news on SEN this morning.

Post Thanks / Like

Fantastic news. Bevo strikes again.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll do cartwheels when he actually signs. Players say any old crap when a camera is in their face.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I'll do cartwheels when he actually signs. Players say any old crap when a camera is in their face.
    JJ seems to be a pretty genuine guy so I believe him more so than others.. To be fair this will be his ''big'' contract so when other clubs are throwing huge coin at him it would be an attraction for even the most loyal person, which I think JJ is.

8. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis View Post
    JJ seems to be a pretty genuine guy so I believe him more so than others.. To be fair this will be his ''big'' contract so when other clubs are throwing huge coin at him it would be an attraction for even the most loyal person, which I think JJ is.
    Agreed. He's really the missing piece of the puzzle in terms of tying away our top end talent. Boyd's tied away for another handful, there's no way we're letting Bont go anywhere, hopefully Stringer gets done at the end of next year and Libba and Dahl will be one club players. To have JJ sign a long-term deal will ensure we retain the blue chip nucleus of a top 4 side for the next 5 years.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Jason Johannisen has renewed contract talks with Western Bulldogs

WESTERN Bulldogs speedster Jason Johannisen has renewed contract talks with the reigning premiers after a scintillating start to the season.

The Norm Smith medallist opted to put negotiations on hold earlier in the year as the AFL and the players’ union continue to thrash out a new agreement which could substantially increase player salaries.

But Johannisen has confirmed his management is back in discussions with the Bulldogs in the hope a new deal can be sealed soon.

A product of East Fremantle, Johannisen had been expected to draw plenty of interest from across the competition — especially the West Australian clubs — but the 24-year-old says he’s relishing the opportunity to be part of the Bulldogs’ premiership defence.

“I’ve never been a part of a football team that’s so close — it’s pretty special,” he told AAP.

“What we achieved last year has sort of gone behind us. The new challenges that have brought us here today and the new journey that we’re going to go across this year has kept the group pretty excited, and we just can’t wait.”

After an exemplary finals campaign, Johannisen has continued to deliver for the Bulldogs, averaging 26 disposals per game and providing important run-and carry off half-back.

With coach Luke Beveridge preaching the need for versatility, Johannisen has looked to spend more time on the wing and up forward after spending most of last year in the back line.

“You’re always looking at ways to improve, so you can’t be too happy with yourself, but I’m in a great place at the minute,” Johannisen said. “I’ve got a lot of confidence in my ability and I’m just looking to use my strengths.”

The Bulldogs have shown glimpses of brilliance and an unrivalled ability to close out games on their way to a 4-1 record but are yet to replicate the ferocity of last year’s inspired finals campaign.

They will face a major test on Friday night when they travel to Canberra to face Greater Western Sydney — a side they narrowly edged in a fierce and gripping preliminary final last year.

“All the hype of a prelim — obviously it’s going to be extra pressure because you know what’s going to be at stake,” Johannisen said.

“It was a very high-pressure game and it was probably exciting to watch. They’ve got great talent and it’s going to take our best to win.”

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...87ec9f1dcc706d

11. Thanks bulldogtragic, N/A, josie, KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes cinder liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dog's deal back on: Backman renews contract talks

Dog's deal back on: Backman renews contract talks
    AAP April 27, 2017 10:07 AM

Jason Johannisen says his management is back in talks with the Dogs
    I've got a lot of confidence in my ability and I'm just looking to use my strengths
    Jason Johannisen
    WESTERN Bulldogs speedster Jason Johannisen has renewed contract talks with the reigning premiers after a scintillating start to the AFL season.

The Norm Smith medallist put negotiations on hold earlier in the year as the AFL and the players' union continue to thrash out a new agreement which could substantially increase player salaries.

When asked about his contract, Johannisen confirmed his management was back in discussions with the Bulldogs in the hope a new deal could be sealed soon.

Johannisen is due to come out of contract at the end of 2017, but will be one year shy of qualifying for free agency.

AFL.com.au’s Nick Bowen reported in March that Johannisen's manager, Tim Galic of SMA Sports Agents, had stopped negotiations with the Dogs because the parties remained a long way apart over the terms of a new contract.

Some club sources believed at the time that the West Australian was seeking up to $700,000 a season to re-sign with the Bulldogs.

A product of East Fremantle, Johannisen had been expected to draw plenty of interest from across the competition - especially the West Australian clubs - but the 24-year-old said he was relishing the opportunity to be part of the Bulldogs' premiership defence.

"I've never been a part of a football team that's so close - it's pretty special," he said.

"What we achieved last year has sort of gone behind us. The new challenges that have brought us here today and the new journey that we're going to go across this year has kept the group pretty excited, and we just can't wait."

After an exemplary finals campaign, Johannisen has continued to deliver for the Bulldogs, averaging 26 disposals per game and providing important run-and-carry off half-back.

With coach Luke Beveridge preaching the need for versatility, Johannisen has looked to spend more time on the wing and up forward after spending most of last year in the backline.

"You're always looking at ways to improve, so you can't be too happy with yourself, but I'm in a great place at the minute," Johannisen said.

"I've got a lot of confidence in my ability and I'm just looking to use my strengths."

The Bulldogs have shown glimpses of brilliance and an unrivalled ability to close out games on their way to a 4-1 record but are yet to replicate the ferocity of last year's inspired finals campaign.

They will face a major test on Friday night when they travel to Canberra to face Greater Western Sydney - a side they narrowly edged in a fierce and gripping preliminary final last year.

"All the hype of a prelim - obviously it's going to be extra pressure because you know what's going to be at stake," Johannisen said.

"It was a very high-pressure game and it was probably exciting to watch. They've got great talent and it's going to take our best to win."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-04-2...contract-talks

13. Thanks bornadog, N/A, josie, KT31 thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If this is true then jesus, Bevo is the greatest thing to ever happen to me personally, let alone the club.
    - I'm a visionary - Only here to confirm my biases -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    If this is true then jesus, Bevo is the greatest thing to ever happen to me personally, let alone the club.
    I hear Bevo is off to North Korea next to talk some sense into Kim Jong-un.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm getting tired of hearing the JJ/Stringer feud, this rumor is gospel apparently. So with a signature I'd be able to do the whole smug "I told you so" routine. I'm getting good at that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Days View Post
    Join the queue. Has there ever been a coach that so obviously has such a strong connection to his players, and vice versa?

18. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes bulldogtragic, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    I'm getting tired of hearing the JJ/Stringer feud, this rumor is gospel apparently. So with a signature I'd be able to do the whole smug "I told you so" routine. I'm getting good at that.
    Thought they were besties?
    Float Along - Fill Your Lungs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Pie Man View Post
    Thought they were besties?
    They are but JJ's manager hints he's going to explore and then BS starts up.