Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 5 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by The Bulldogs Bite View Post
    Everyone will be looking at May.
    http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-05-2...ot-to-weigh-up

Yeah everyone will. But you would have to think that we'd be pressing very hard considering we were so close to getting Hurley last year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I'm hoping we're looking at Stephen May or Jake Lever
    Thoughts?
    Where do I sign?
    "It's over. It's all over."

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to be seen to be stealing another clubs captain (May), but it's about time it happened we were on the right side of a captain seeking a trade, so I'm happy if he nominates us next week.

Gold Coast players must be honestly thinking, maybe this franchise isn't going to make it. GWS is light years ahead and other GC franchises have folded. If I were May, I'd leave no matter what. He's given great, loyal service to them while they've gone nowhere, will go nowhere and have had kids and guns wanting out and still wanting out.

The earlier rumour this year was the Dogs wanting Ablett. If true that we want them both, happy to do a package deal.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I don't want to be seen to be stealing another clubs captain (May), but it's about time it happened we were on the right side of a captain seeking a trade, so I'm happy if he nominates us next week.

Gold Coast players must be honestly thinking, maybe this franchise isn't going to make it. GWS is light years ahead and other GC franchises have folded. If I were May, I'd leave no matter what. He's given great, loyal service to them while they've gone nowhere, will go nowhere and have had kids and guns wanting out and still wanting out.

The earlier rumour this year was the Dogs wanting Ablett. If true that we want them both, happy to do a package deal.
    I really don't care about other clubs feelings.
    "It's over. It's all over."

5. Likes Sedat, bornadog, strebla, 1eyedog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't the rookie draft going at some stage?
    Or has that idea gone off the books.
    Don't piss off old people
    The older we get the less "LIFE IN PRISON" is a deterrent...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog60 View Post
    Wasn't the rookie draft going at some stage?
    Or has that idea gone off the books.
    Yeah maybe, why?
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

My Half Season card:

Retired: Boyd & Bob. I'm worried about injuries to both club legends.
    Delisted or Trade Requests: Honeychurch (just behind too many similar players, too good for the VFL too), Hamilton (Not seen enough of him excelling), Campbell (Needs a new home)
    Rookies out: Prudden (poor kid just can't take a trick with injury).

5 spots on the main list opened up. Although we can't rule out another fringe player being chased, or a good player with an offer too good to refuse. So perhaps 6 changes. From there I'd look for trades for picks and free agency for 3 spots, 1 live pick, 2 rookie upgrades, with 3 rookie list spots. Top up on mature experienced talent through trades/free agency to replace what experience we lose, get a mid range 'Dal Special', elevate the two half back flankers to cover the depth for the two were losing and let Dal go nuts at the rookie draft.

Dal has said the depth at this draft is an issue, so perhaps move our top 3 picks around to get a couple of decent players and free agency for another. I'm not sure we need extra kids, so mature experienced players could really help consolidate our claim to a dynasty.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

GWS dont care and we should be doing the same in further our list for what is best for our club

I hate them for pinching ward, may have been a future captain for us

Stole our captain
    Was Deledio a vice captain for Richmond at any stage ?

The karma bus has hit them with injures for the last 2.

Post Thanks / Like

If the draft is shallow then a strategy to get one good pick, whilst sitting the majority out would be the way to go.

Hamilton is unlikely to be picked up elsewhere. We've given him a crack to mature in the lower grade but he's too far behind the level. Honey needs to be given a chance out of fairness and integrity to the process in coming games, but in reality we'll only keep him on a minimum contract or get a low pick for him if he departs unless something special transpires (we're getting a low pick or an upgrade for him, let's be honest - at least it's like for like, irrespective of development, unlike Hrovat).

Campbell if not good enough for us as top level, isn't going to be good enough elsewhere as top level. We're getting done in the ruck pretty much week on week, and we're not even playing him to counter that. I don't see how anyone could offer him a back up deal better than the one we are. At least if things go really really bad list wise for us, he's a chance to be a finals ruckman. He won't get that at ten out of eighteen clubs.

If Murphy and Moyd retire, that's four spots off the list that need to be covered. Like BT I'd like one of them to be sourced via FA so we don't have to give anything up to get it.

If things go well, we're looking at pick 15 to 18 as our first pick range, in a shallow draft, with basically no upside in what we're losing from the main list to advance our cause unless a trade comes through.

As a non-betting man I say we keep JJ on an extension of two years at best, at worst we lose him to trade west. I think the latter is more realistic.

If we can walk away from this next drafting and trade period with Fremantle's first and a player - or WCE's first and two of second/player/upgrade for JJ, and a pick between 15-18 as our next selection then I'm OK.

So, I guess what I'm suggesting is:

Out - JJ, Honeychurch, Hamilton, Moyd, Murphy
    In - FRE first pick - plus a player or WCE first pick plus two of upgrade/player/second round.........token points or picks we wont use for Honey/Hamilton

I really want to use our money on securing who we have on our list presently because they're coming into their next contract cycle, and think we're about to lose some class that underpins a good list that is better drafted than traded in.
    Last edited by jeemak; 03-06-2017 at 01:37 AM.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

11. Likes GVGjr, bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Good post J-Man.

Thinking about if JJ left, that would free up $550,000. And assuming our banked cap facilitated the $800,000 offer for Hurley (Dal dais we still have heaps of room), that would mean we had $1,350,000. If Bob & Boyd are retired, say they're on $375,000 each, that's another $750,000 added to $1,350,000 so $2,100,000 plus another $750,000 if Campbell, Honey & Declan go. If Crameri has to take a hit from what was a generous offer, add $200,000. So that's $3,050,000 plus CBA increases, so maybe $3,550,000.

Now we add in 3 draftees (inclusive of draftees and rookie list upgrades) on minimum wage, say $600,000. A little extra for players not yet signed, say $250,000 and money expected from changes, say $350,000. So we will spend $1,200,000, or take this figure off the salary cap pot. Put in $600,000 (Morris, Cloke possibly retired next year to add in more) also for re-signings next year. So $1,800,000.

That leaves us around $1,750,000 to spend in the salary cap. So if there's 6 changes, of which three are draftees, we have three spots on the list to fill with around $1,750,000. If JJ goes we can target probably two or three very good players. If we have the picks after Dal thinks it's not worth it, then I'd put all the picks on the table with our cap room and look at a defender (May, Trensgrove/McKenzie FA), a midfielder (Duggan, Crozier, Rockliff FA) and forward (Gunston, Schache).

If we were to lose the experience of Boyd, Bob & JJ I think it'd be handy to bring in some mature players over another round of kids.

Post Thanks / Like

BT if JJ leaves I think he is most likely headed for Essendon. What is your trade plan / scenario for dealing with Essendon ?
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    BT if JJ leaves I think he is most likely headed for Essendon. What is your trade plan / scenario for dealing with Essendon ?
    McKernan & a 6th rounder!

A three way trade ideally.
    If they ended up with pick 6 or 7 and 24 or 25, perhaps an upgrade if we finish 16-18. So something like 6<16 & 24<34. They've had interest in Campbell, so they can him. It's not dissimilar to the Carlisle trade to St Kilda.

Then put up 6, 24 & 42 with HC on the trade table. Then looking to get three mature players, one being a free agent as above. Perhaps looking for a group trade by going to GCS and requesting May & a midfielder/running HBF (Ablett rumours with us have gone quiet). Or Brisbane with Schache, McStay &/or Cedric Cox (who we were very keen on last year) or them also letting Rockliff go as a FA to us. Then needing a FA defender like McKenzie or Trengrove. Alternatively, go to Hawthorn who are desperate to get back into the draft and see what 6 & 24 might net us.

I still think JJ stays though.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be pretty filthy on JJ if he leaves and very demanding on the trade table if it came to that. Reality is he's a 24 yo star in his prime.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    I'm hoping we're looking at Stephen May or Jake Lever
    Thoughts?
    Like Lever. Tall, athletic, old skool and an absolute mongrel. Would be awesome for us, plus he's a Vic boy.
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Why Essendon?