Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

If true, then we are going to have a big trade and free agency period. If JJ, Bob, Boyd & Prudden are moved on, Webb should be offered a HBF spot with a contract. I'd be surprised if Redders goes, it's not like there's much competition for spots compared to other positions.

We have the salary cap to be offering the same deals North & Saints are throwing at everyone. Pretty sure I got an email from North for 5 years at $800,000. That we are generally silent makes me wonder that we've got someone on the hook. A guess, Josh Kelly's name seems quieter. 2+2=5 though.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah they've gone very quiet about Josh Kelly.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I don't for one minute accept this notion but if you believe some of the conjecture on here and in the media that we pinched the flag last year and that we are in a premiership hangover Hawks style then why wouldn't we go for a full reboot at the end of the season so that we position ourselves well for a serious push in 2019/20?

This could mean not offering contracts to Murphy, Morris, M.Boyd, Redpath and Crameri, letting go of Cloke, not budging on our position with Johannisen and potentially making the hard calls on some of the likes of Honeychurch, Prudden, Hamilton, R.Smith and maybe Webb?

That harsh slash and burn approach would open up plenty of spots for us to bring in young talent and create senior spots for players like Dale and Williams and also deliver a very strong message for anyone with a complacent attitude that the club can make hard calls.

We would certainly take a hit on our ladder position in 2018 and maybe 2019 but it would open up spots and create a very attractive salary cap position for many years.

This isn't what I would do and it's certainly not what I expect the club to do but would there be any advantage in taking this sort of approach to reload for another push?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Just remember we lose a few in retirement next year and Webb will Fit right in with us I imagine.
    Redpath is interesting with his knees , hate to see him go but maybe we only gave him a year to see how he went when he came back and will offer him better if he goes ok , personally I think we will keep both if big red gets through this year.
    Who do you see Webb replacing? I don't see it personally.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    BF discussion should stay on BF.
    There's a few on there on the money .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Who do you see Webb replacing? I don't see it personally.
    I'd like him going into the Moyd role. Sure they can both have a run in the middle, but they've shown most promise coming off the HBF and with that extra second or two using good foot skills. Webb can play alright, and I get the flexibility thing, but he has a beautiful left foot and I'd be very comfortable to see him coming out of defence, leaning on his left foot to hit targets. If Prudden, Moyd, Bob & JJ all leave then we have some latitude to allow Webby to go back to that role and know we can try other things during games. We don't have a lot of very good kicks and I'd be annoyed if we let one go without a fight.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that BT. I find it odd that both Williams and Webb haven't played during Boyd and Murphys absence. I think that suggests Webb will be elsewhere in 2018.
    More of an In Bruges guy?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azabob View Post
    Thanks for that BT. I find it odd that both Williams and Webb haven't played during Boyd and Murphys absence. I think that suggests Webb will be elsewhere in 2018.
    If that eventuated then I'd suggest that's the folly with 'just keep drafting kids' philosophy. Hrovat a first rounder leaves for SFA, and if Webb left that be a good second rounder for even less than SFA. At some point we have got to invest some very good picks into mature talent. I really rate Webb and think he'd be an excellent HBF option, so I hope he stays.

9. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Remi Moses View Post
    There's a few on there on the money .
    That is fine, but this is WOOF not BF.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    Just remember we lose a few in retirement next year and Webb will Fit right in with us I imagine.
    Redpath is interesting with his knees , hate to see him go but maybe we only gave him a year to see how he went when he came back and will offer him better if he goes ok , personally I think we will keep both if big red gets through this year.
    I wouldn't lose sleep if Webb left for greener pastures and we managed to get a fair deal in return.

Redpath is on a one year contract because he only asks the club for one year contracts and works year to year. That is how he has always done his contracts. He's spoken about it in the media previously.

I dare say if the Tigers have offered him two years, he's turned around and said 'Sorry, I only do one year deals'.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I don't for one minute accept this notion but if you believe some of the conjecture on here and in the media that we pinched the flag last year and that we are in a premiership hangover Hawks style then why wouldn't we go for a full reboot at the end of the season so that we position ourselves well for a serious push in 2019/20?

This could mean not offering contracts to Murphy, Morris, M.Boyd, Redpath and Crameri, letting go of Cloke, not budging on our position with Johannisen and potentially making the hard calls on some of the likes of Honeychurch, Prudden, Hamilton, R.Smith and maybe Webb?

That harsh slash and burn approach would open up plenty of spots for us to bring in young talent and create senior spots for players like Dale and Williams and also deliver a very strong message for anyone with a complacent attitude that the club can make hard calls.

We would certainly take a hit on our ladder position in 2018 and maybe 2019 but it would open up spots and create a very attractive salary cap position for many years.

This isn't what I would do and it's certainly not what I expect the club to do but would there be any advantage in taking this sort of approach to reload for another push?
    I would do something like it. But trade really aggressively now it appears we have good trade currency.

Outs: Bob, Boyd, Morris, Honey, Campbell, Hamilton, Crameri (to RL for Prudden) & JJ traded

Two top picks, other picks and sweeteners, and a heap of salary cap:

Ins: top tier free agent midfielder, middle top tier KPD, midfielder top tier trade, KPD top tier trade (upgrade Smith & Lynch), two live draft picks

Post Thanks / Like

I don't want to see tweaking with our list....it's not as good as we thought and we are going to lose three champions at the end of the year.

After developing Webb, I don't want to let him go and I think we will receive buggerall in return anyway. Has Dale re-signed yet? He has become important as we can see from today that when JJ is quiet we have no-one other than Dale who can break the lines.

Retire Boyd, Murph and Morris, delist Honey, Pruden, Hamilton, trade Dickson and Suckling.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

Trade Dickson? He's had an average year (who hasn't) off no pre-season but he's still in our best 3 forwards.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lemmon View Post
    Trade Dickson? He's had an average year (who hasn't) off no pre-season but he's still in our best 3 forwards.
    We keep referring to blokes based on what they did last year. Reckon it's time we updated our thinking based on what we are seeing. Dickson ain't going to get much better so why not trade him if we think he still has value.....you obviously do.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

He's the only one who can kick straight.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite