Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Do you think we might have gambled that at least one of the draftees would come into the senior side this year? Last year we had Dunkley and the year before we had Daniel walk into the side and Cordy has played some good games. Maybe they were banking on the development to get another first year draftee taking a spot in the team?
    No I don't think so, English, Lipinski, Young and Greene were physically immature so I don't think we expected that we had a ready made 10 to 15 game player for 2017 out of that group. I think we knew we were drafting with a longer horizon in mind.
    I remember Cordy speaking so it was good to have so many other skinny kids at the club which would also include Mullenger-McHugh.

2017 was always a development year for our 2016 draftees
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Didn't Cloke sign on for 2 years?
    Yes, he has a 2 year contract.

List management-wise, how about we keep Bevo out of it! No more players he used to coach.

Cloke's health issues aside, his recruitment, predictably enough, has been an error if you look at the output when playing. We shouldn't have expected to get a better output from a 30 year old, than his below par output in his previous 2 seasons.

As for Suckling, he's been up and down - and has one more year, but I'm predicting that next year we are not rapt that we have him for another year also. Continues to be underwhelming.

3. Likes azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have any inside word on this, but is there a chance we look to trade Libba at the end of the season?

Father son and premiership hero status aside, there are a few potential benefits:
    -One of the few players on our list who's current output does not match his trade value
    -The only player we know has a poor attitude, an attitude that may have seen us not draft him had he not already been aligned to us
    -The emergence of Mclean as a clearance player makes Libba less valuable in our squad
    -Would alleviate cap pressure

I do like Libba and think he is a very good player, but this season has been very poor and if he follows it up with another just like it then we have a mediocre player who's value has fully declined. You have to give up something to get something and if we are chasing lever then we need to find something tradeable.

Libba I would imagine comes with a similar reputation and value to Tom Mitchell, so a mid-late teens pick is feasible. Also using the Lever trade as an example they are likely to target at least one of our young SA's, so losing Libba could help us retain the likes of Young, Williams and Daniel.

If you take into account that I'm not sure Beveridge is overly impressed or enamoured with Libba's off field work, it could be a good way of cashing in his worth while it still exists.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

Post Thanks / Like

Soupaman, to me it all depends on Liberatore but it's a very interesting option you have raised

- We know what he is capable of in a positive sense and he has a great reputation for hard work on the training track and he has some elite traits
    - We also know that he is a larrikin, he has had some issues off the field and hasn't had a good season compared to other years.

The questions I have for him (and basically anyone else) would be around if his heart is in it, if we wants to work towards another flag and I'd love to know if he has been carrying an injury?

If his hearts in it then it would be very hard to trade him because of his elite traits so without a lot of knowledge it would be a no for me.

Just to do a bit of myth busting, we rated him very highly the year he came to us via a father son selection and we may have even rated him a better prospect than Wallis that year.

Libba has frustrated me no end this year and I think there is a frank discussion that needs to be held with him but I'm reasonably confident he will answer any challenge.

I think Libba needs us as much as we need him
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

6. Likes aker39, hujsh, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I think we're trying to get Libba to do more around the ground, like we did with Minson, rather than just going from stoppage to stoppage. Ultimately though I think we will move him back onto the ball when we need to. His output seems to be as much to do with the way he is used, as it is with his form
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

8. Likes GVGjr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Libba's TOG % would indicate he's either a) carrying an injury and/or b) not as fit as he was.

As per the above, if his heart is in it, then I wouldn't trade him.

He's also pretty close with a number of the playing group, so I'm not sure it would be well looked upon if we were to move him on.

Post Thanks / Like

Tom needs to get fair dinkum about his footy . Hopefully he delists himself from the Vietnam swans ,and knuckles down with a massive pre-season . If he doesn't get serious he will be on the tools for a living

Post Thanks / Like

It's all up to Lib. If he is invested and passionate about his footy he is a must-keep. Comfortably the 2nd best player in our team at his best and frankly not far behind the Bont.

He and the club have a chance even this year to turn things around and achieve something remarkable. The wheel is turning and I can feel it. There's a whole lot of meh in the top 8 right now and we have them all covered based on our September 2016 form. Libba has looked the absolute best in the eye like Josh Kennedy and pantsed them - he (and we) can do it again in 2017.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

12. Likes Twodogs, boydogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post
    It's all up to Lib. If he is invested and passionate about his footy he is a must-keep. Comfortably the 2nd best player in our team at his best and frankly not far behind the Bont.

He and the club have a chance even this year to turn things around and achieve something remarkable. The wheel is turning and I can feel it. There's a whole lot of meh in the top 8 right now and we have them all covered based on our September 2016 form. Libba has looked the absolute best in the eye like Josh Kennedy and pantsed them - he (and we) can do it again in 2017.
    Well said Sedat. I hate giving up. It offends me.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sedat View Post

I am hoping that 2017 is the experience that both the team and Libba really needed.
    There is no question that Libba is/can be one of the best clearance players in the comp and he has elite disposal to go with it.

If he understands his potential (and he has a few mates on the list) and applies himself to the maximum, he can be a truly elite premiership midfielder and be a driving force in the dynasty that the current list could provide.

If the understanding does not materialise we may revert to making up the numbers as we have done for the previous 60 years.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

Post Thanks / Like

I actually think the professional nature of the game would see the transition out of a player like Liberatore more easily handled by our club or any club. Players know they have the option to move on from a club at any time - as we saw with Ward, and almost saw with JJ - and know the club has the same rights with players.

If Liberatore hasn't been doing what he should have been to get the best out of himself and the team, I'm sure the players would know about it and they'd understand if the club decided to take action.

The club and its priorities are bigger than Tom Liberatore. It will move on pretty quickly - as will its playes - if it decided it needed to let him go.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

I see this a little different and maybe the club do , he isn't getting much of it but he still gets a game so he must be doing something right.
    The team is starting to perform a little better so I don't think they have an issue with him still playing firsts.
    Webb and Clay can't get in the team in front of him, which as fans /spectators we see could give more value but the club obviously doesn't.
    Libba must be doing what the club is asking him to do or he wouldn't be playing.
    Bring back the biff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I actually think the professional nature of the game would see the transition out of a player like Liberatore more easily handled by our club or any club. Players know they have the option to move on from a club at any time - as we saw with Ward, and almost saw with JJ - and know the club has the same rights with players.

If Liberatore hasn't been doing what he should have been to get the best out of himself and the team, I'm sure the players would know about it and they'd understand if the club decided to take action.

The club and its priorities are bigger than Tom Liberatore. It will move on pretty quickly - as will its playes - if it decided it needed to let him go.
    If my underperforming colleague was moved on, I'd think that's a great move. Doesn't mean I don't like them as a person or have a particular issue with them - not sure how this is different to a football team. A lot of AFL players appear to follow the NBA, if this off-season is a guide, I'm sure they understand the environment modern professional sports people operate in.

18. Likes jeemak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting to the pointy end now. I'm still wanting 6 primary spots:

1) Matty Boyd - Club Champ, time to call time on your great career.
    2) Mitch Honeychurch - Looks like this spider has got your career on our primary list unfortunately.
    3) Stew Crameri - Managed to rookie list one way or another...
    4) Declan Hamilton - Hasn't played a senior game, not likely to. All the best in the SANFL.
    5) One un-signed player coming from the list of notable ones: Dale, Webb, Redpath or Tom Campbell requesting trade
    6) One old dog, Bob or Morris
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

BT, I think it will be Murp and Morris will hang in there. I am having my doubts on Webb.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.