Thanks Thanks:  42
Likes Likes:  130
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Moving-Rolling Delisting/Retiring/Trading Thread 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Have heard Bevo talk about a believed capacity to play down back as well.
    Dale does seem to have some really good attributes for a zone type defence. With the right development, he could be lethal as an intercept marking, long kicking, ball carrying half back.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by westdog54 View Post
    Going through 1 by 1:

Boyd: Will almost certainly retire.
    Smith: Signed a 1 year deal to see how his knees hold up. Fair enough on club and player.
    Morris: Will retire or a further 1 year deal, fitness and form depending.
    Hamilton: Make or break year for him. Up to him to show he's worth it, not the other way around.
    Redpath: Only does 1 year deals. His call.
    Murphy: Form and fitness by years end.
    Dunkley: Must retain.
    Collins: Watch how he develops but I'd be inclined to sign him up for a further 2 to let him develop.
    Adams: Will most likely ask for a trade West.
    Williams: Must re-sign
    Dale: Watch his development. Might attract some trade interest.
    Webb: Might attract some interest. Rate him highly.
    McLean: CANNOT afford to let him remain uncontracted at seasons end. Need to secure him.
    Daniel: As above.
    Honeychurch: Some work to do to retain his spot.
    Roberts: With Adams likely gone by years end he's got an opportunity to prove his worth.
    Picken: Would be stunned if he walks but there'll be interest aplenty.
    JJ: Priority number 1 is getting him signed up for at least 3 years.
    Crameri: Will be interesting to see how he returns. With Cloke at the club now he's more important than ever for our structure.

Its a long list but it ain't as bad as it looks.
    Webb and Dale in my mind are key, especially with Hrovat and Stevens now gone. I expect both will play games next year, more than they did this year. red year players that have the tank, and physique to really be good players.

Post Thanks / Like

I think we can find 6 next year to move. Elevating Smith & Lynch. Leaving us 4 picks being our first, second, upgraded third and fifth rounder. And then two rookie draft picks. Which is a healthy turnover. If Adams wants out hopefully we can get something decent in return.

But I'm thinking perhaps next year is the time to pursue another bigger trade. This draft we are investing in height which is good for the longer term. Our inside mids, half backs and forwards look healthy. If Roberts, Cordy & Collins (Adams??) can hold down spots then our taller defenders will be good. So a quick elite ball user would be something I think we need to round off the list. So with salary cap up our sleeves perhaps it's time to go hard at a Josh Kelly type. Our list won the premiership and we've invested a lot for 2-3 years down the track where the bulk of the list will be in their prime. I think we are in the perfect space to trade big next year and see that instant benefit with the last two drafts investments benefit. Dynasty's need continued improvement and with GWS picking up 4 top 20 players & Deledio we need to keep finding ways to improve our list to get and stay ahead of them with both of our windows being open.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Now that GWS are entrenched as a finals team for the next few seasons I think it's going to be very difficult for a club like ours to get top end trades with them completed.

Why would they want to potentially strengthen a genuine contender who wouldn't normally have early draft picks to offer anyway?

They trade with Carlton like it's a Caribbean Gardens swap meet but if Carlton were in the 8 and threatening they'd just point their players in another direction especially the players wanting to head back to their home state.

The salary cap squeeze might bite them but I think they have probably got that all planned out.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Now that GWS are entrenched as a finals team for the next few seasons I think it's going to be very difficult for a club like ours to get top end trades with them completed.

Why would they want to potentially strengthen a genuine contender who wouldn't normally have early draft picks to offer anyway?

They trade with Carlton like it's a Caribbean Gardens swap meet but if Carlton were in the 8 and threatening they'd just point their players in another direction especially the players wanting to head back to their home state.

The salary cap squeeze might bite them but I think they have probably got that all planned out.
    I'd have a short list going across the board of similar types. There's big names in free agency but apparently every club has cap space to target them. That'd be ideal to keep our first rounder, but I'm not betting on it happening. But with our draft, I think next year could be the year to go hard at grabbing a quality player to inject into the list as our kids hit their prime and hopefully these young talls are pushing for selection.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

So Bevo has said Roarke is having another turn next year. Unless the AFEL finally get around to scrapping the rookie list and extending the main list, we will need to elevate him. The AFEL said in September the CBA would be signed in a week or two... So I don't trust them to get around to changing the list structures.

So we've got our 1st & 2nd rounders, Norf's third rounder & Saints fifth rounder. Roarke elevated with the Saints fifth rounder if we need to elevate him, freeing up a rookie list spot. Lynch upgraded with the next, freeing up a rookie spot. - 3 live picks or 2 live picks and a trade/free agent with the upgrades/picks, and then two rookie picks. That's a healthy turnover.

So five changes to head out, which should be easy enough. I'm nor sure if Bob & Matty Boyd go around again, and Hamilton & Honeychurch seem up against it based on preseason form. Adams or his manager may request a trade again. That's 5 and assuming someone on the fringe takes an offer ala Hrovat, Hamling & Stevens.

The kicker will be how high we expect Rhylee West to go next year. A recent article cited him as among 'the best of the best in his year'. So the question is how many draft points we may want accumulate this year with any trades for future 2018 drafts picks/points. For instance if we finished with pick 16 and he went 8-10, we'd lose both first and second rounders and gain something around pick 50 as our next pick if we did nothing to gain extra points for 2018. If we finish with pick 17-18 and/or Rhylee goes higher, then it may take all three of our first picks to land him, so our first pick would be in the 60's or 70's.

It throws up a few different scenarios around trading our top picks for players this year, but getting back in 2018 points to cover the expectated points need in 2018. Like our 1st & 2nd rounder for a very decent player and 2018 (expected higher) second rounder. So perhaps that bigger type trade, landing a decent free agent, using North's third rounder, upgrading the two rookies (5). But only one live pick won't sit well with Dal. But, then head into 2018 draft armed with a 1st rounder and two 2nd rounders to cover Rhylee West if we expect him to go early, and get us something later in the draft to use. Then again, do we seek a player if Adams leaves or request a 2018 pick??

It's certainly going to be an interesting period for the club to work out needs, whose gettable at the trade table and free agency, working out and guessing 2018 draft point needs and then factoring in 'needs'. A lot of moving parts.

Post Thanks / Like

Then again, do we seek a player if Adams leaves or request a 2018 pick??
    Just read an article on the HS that Adams is keen to stay on. I think this is good news for our club.

LINK

Marcus Adams keen to re-sign with Western Bulldogs only months after considering trade
    JON RALPH, Herald Sun, March 28, 2017 8:00pm

WESTERN Bulldogs defender Marcus Adams is set to win a contract extension only months after considering a future back in Perth.

The forgotten Dogs defender was one of the revelations of 2016 as a 193cm full back before injury saw him miss the fairytale premiership.

He was happy to be traded back to Western Australia if a deal could be done but did not officially demand a new start.

Now after an injury-hit pre-season he is set to be recalled for the premiership replay against Sydney after Dale Morris was diagnosed with a broken leg.

Last year he beat star forwards including Matthew Pavlich, Taylor Walker and Josh Kennedy before succumbing to a foot problem from Round 16 onwards.

Marcus Adams is a happy Bulldog. Picture: Jake Nowakowski

Marcus Adams in action during a pre-season training session. Picture: Wayne Ludbey

His manager Jason Dover said on Tuesday the 23-year-old, taken at pick 35 in the 2015 national draft, was keen to re-sign at the club.

“Over the pre-season he had some challenges with getting back and playing as well as his form so they sent him back to the VFL to find some form which he did on the weekend,’’ he said.

“It was a case of if the opportunity presented during the trade period he was happy to look at it.

“When it didn’t happen he was happy to stay. He didn’t demand a trade.

“Since then he has come back and settled into Melbourne and we have had conversations pre-Christmas and in the new year about a possible contract extension with the club.

“I was in Melbourne last week and met with the Dogs and we will continue our conversations.”

The Dogs will make at least one forced change but continue to have envious depth after a strong VFL performance.

Marcus Adams is keen to re-sign with the Bulldogs. Picture: Michael Klein

Adams was excellent, with returning ruckman Tom Campbell excellent after recovering from a rolled ankle.

The Dogs could decide to play two ruckman to ease Tom Boyd’s workload, with Josh Dunkley, Clay Smith and Lukas Webb also playing well in the VFL win over Collingwood.

Morris will not require surgery for the spiral fracture but will miss two months, with Josh Pruden back from an ACL in the VFL this week.

Mitch Wallis is back in full training in the next fortnight and will be back in five weeks, with Tory Dickson out with abdominal pain for a month.

The Dogs found a way to win despite Collingwood’s midfield dominance on Friday night, setting up a cracking encounter against the team they beat in the 2016 Grand Final.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

Early Season view:

Dead Certs: 1: Bob (apparently said this is his last year)
    Very Concerned about: 3: Matty Boyd, Hamilton, Honeychurch
    Concerned on Rookie List: 1: Prudden (Bevo mentioned Smith will be having another crack at this level (AFL)
    Concerned for any trade request out: JJ

4 Main List, 1 Rookie List

I'm maintaining the view of 6 changes: Using 3 draft picks (all inside 40-45), A Free Agent, Smith & Lynch upgraded. So two more to look at, perhaps a couple ask for trades like last year.
    Last edited by bulldogtragic; 17-04-2017 at 11:38 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Early Season view:

Dead Certs: ---
    Concerned about: Matty Boyd, Bob, Hamilton, Honeychurch
    Concerned for any trade request out: JJ
    Prudden must be in doubt, he should really have been cut putting aside the looking after your own aspect
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Mid Season view:

Dead Certs: (3) Matt Boyd, Bob & Honeychurch
    Concerned about: (1) Hamilton
    Want to see something: (1) Crameri
    Concerned on Rookie List: 1: Prudden (Bevo mentioned Smith will be having another crack at this level (AFL))
    Want to see signed up soon: JJ, Adams, Williams, Dale, Webb
    Assumed number wanting a trade out: (2) Campbell & other.

Probably: 6 Main List, 1 Rookie List

3 picks inside 40, plus two rookie upgrades & a free agent. Or, two picks traded, one live pick, two rookie upgrades & a free agent.

Post Thanks / Like

From a list perspective, without stating our obvious needs, I want us to go after a legitimate fast, skillful small forward. It's a gaping hole in our list right now and we really lack flair up forward.

Somebody of a Dan Rioli/Orazio Fantasia ilk would be my pick.

Are there many getting around at state or U18 level?

Post Thanks / Like

Mid Season view:

Dead Certs: (3) Matt Boyd, Bob & Honeychurch
    Concerned about: (1) Hamilton
    Want to see something: (1) Crameri
    Concerned on Rookie List: 1: Prudden (Bevo mentioned Smith will be having another crack at this level (AFL))
    Want to see signed up soon: JJ, Adams, Williams, Dale, Webb
    Assumed number wanting a trade out: (2) Campbell & other.

Probably: 6 Main List, 1 Rookie List

3 picks inside 40, plus two rookie upgrades & a free agent. Or, two picks traded, one live pick, two rookie upgrades & a free agent.
    Bob and Honeychurch dead cert's to not be on the list next year?????????????????????

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ozza View Post
    Bob and Honeychurch dead cert's to not be on the list next year?????????????????????
    With Bob, I'm changing my thinking from 'Dead Cert' to 'maybe', from week to week. Bob had previously said this was his last year, but maybe he's changed his mind since. I think Honey will ask for a trade, and I think we'll let him go. Clubs with an interest in him would no doubt have spoken to his management already about how they think they offer him more opportunities at the top level.

Post Thanks / Like

One of Webb and Dale may leave too, seeking better opportunities.

Isn't the rookie Smith in his last year of rookie-dom?
    The fight is here; I need ammunition, not a ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Rot View Post
    One of Webb and Dale may leave too, seeking better opportunities.

Isn't the rookie Smith in his last year of rookie-dom?
    Yep, on Smith, but he's told Bevo he wants to keep going and Bevo wants that too. So we upgrade him, or let him go free in the rookie draft and hope to pick him up. I think we will upgrade him.

If Webby & Dale keep showing good signs, I'd expect the club to try to re-contract them soon. I hope we can re-contract them too.

16. Thanks Dry Rot thanked for this post