Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Champion Data rates Western Bulldogs’ list as best in the AFL, Brisbane Lions rated worst

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...c93703ade7a068

WESTERN Bulldogs supporters can start dreaming of back-to-back premierships — if Champion Data is any guide.

The AFL’s official number cruncher believes the premiers will enter 2017 with the strongest list after an in-depth analysis of every club.

The Dogs’ glut of young talent runs deeper than the hyped Greater Western Sydney and even has the great Hawthorn teams of the past five years covered.

And North Melbourne will enter light on for star power, with just one player rated elite.

But coach Brad Scott can’t be blamed for his cull of veterans, given the Kangas only entered this season with two.

Four clubs — the Dogs, Giants, West Coast and Sydney — boast an AFL-high six elite superstars.

Last-minute signing Brett Deledio delivered the Giants their sixth, alongside Zac Williams, Devon Smith, Nick Haynes and All-Australians Heath Shaw and Toby Greene.

Of that group only Shaw began 2016 rated elite.

GWS trumped Dogs coach Luke Beveridge’s 11th-hour bid to snare Deledio, who walked out on Richmond.

Players rated in the top 10 per cent for their position are regarded as elite by Champion.

But it is the Bulldogs’ base which leaves the league in their wake.

Beneath their A-graders, Champion Data rates another 13 Dogs “above average” — No. 1 in the AFL.

The total of 19 men in the top two brackets beats Hawthorn’s 15, 15 and 16 from their golden 2013-2015 run.

And in an ominous sign for the premiership defence, six of Beveridge’s talented 19 did not feature in the historic premiership, but are all set to return in 2017.

They are captain Bob Murphy, Mitch Wallis, Marcus Adams, Lin Jong, Matthew Suckling and Stewart Crameri.

St Kilda great Nathan Burke lashed the Dogs’ list during the finals as “devoid of stars and marquee players”.

“They’ve (Hawthorn) got their four or five outright stars, the Bulldogs don’t have that, they are just playing very well as a team,” Burke said.

“For me, to have that dynasty you need four or five stars to build around.”

But Champion’s examination smashes that theory and delivers another tick to the shrewd drafting under chief recruiter Simon Dalrymple, completed off a shoestring budget, and the development program led by Chris Maple.

Brownlow Medallist Gerard Healy this year rated the Dogs’ four-year recruiting block the most successful he has seen, and Dalrymple called 12 of the names put up in lights by Champion.

Essendon and Brisbane Lions are the only clubs without an elite player. But the Bombers were hindered by the formula, which is calculated with a 75 per cent weighting to 2016.

Players must have played 10 games over the past two seasons to qualify and the Dons had their batch of superstars serving drug suspensions this season.

The shock defections of Sam Mitchell, Jordan Lewis and Brad Hill gutted the Hawks’, leaving them mid-table.

DAZZLING DOGGIES

Elite players: Mitch Wallis, Marcus Bontempelli, Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus.

Above-average players: Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood, Jack Macrae, Stewart Crameri, Dale Morris, Lin Jong, Tory Dickson, Liam Picken, Caleb Daniel, Marcus Adams, Clay Smith, Matthew Suckling.

Ratings by: CHAMPION DATA

Pre-order Champion Data’s 2017 AFL Prospectus for $39.95

CHAMPION DATA 2017 LIST ANALYSIS

CLUB ELITE ABOVE AVERAGE TOTAL
    Western Bulldogs 6 13 19
    GWS Giants 6 11 17
    West Coast 6 8 14
    Adelaide 4 10 14
    Sydney 6 7 13
    St Kilda 1 11 12
    Collingwood 2 10 12
    Port Adelaide 3 7 10
    Melbourne 2 8 10
    Hawthorn 5 5 10
    Geelong 5 4 9
    Fremantle 3 6 9
    Richmond 3 6 9
    Gold Coast 3 5 8
    North Melbourne 1 6 7
    Essendon 0 7 7
    Carlton 2 3 5
    Brisbane Lions 0 3 3

2. Thanks choconmientay thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Champion Data rates Western Bulldogs’ list as best in the AFL, Brisbane Lions rated worst

I hope the whipping of Nathan Burke continues.

It's interesting how we view elite versus what the numbers would tell you. What excites me is the players we have rated as above average, and their ability to take a step forward with consistent football under their belts in a strong team.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Champion Data rates Western Bulldogs’ list as best in the AFL, Brisbane Lions rated worst

Impressed by the fact the Jongy is rated above average for his position. Very glad he stayed.

6. Thanks soupman thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah Nathan Burke, you flog.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

8. Likes bornadog, choconmientay, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    Ah Nathan Burke, you flog.
    Just tweeted him the link

10. Thanks Twodogs thanked for this post
    Likes bornadog, N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bulldog4life View Post
    Just tweeted him the link
    And that's why I love you.

Let us know when he blocks you!
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

12. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Tom Liberatore not elite? Only because of injury.
    If you are not going to call Bont, Jake or Caleb stars then what do you know?
    Nathan Burke, can't remember who he is, so there.
    You don't develop courage by being happy in your relationships every day. You develop it by surviving difficult times and challenging adversity. ― Epicurus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    And that's why I love you.

Let us know when he blocks you
    !
    Ditto and not yet.

15. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

as i posted on the AFL Supercoach facebook page

"Is this the same champion data that said that the dogs weren't in a premiership window three months ago?"

PS what did Nathan Burke say?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Throughandthrough View Post
    as i posted on the AFL Supercoach facebook page

"Is this the same champion data that said that the dogs weren't in a premiership window three months ago?"

PS what did Nathan Burke say?
    Had not enough elite talent, nor enough depth to win multiple flags.

Post Thanks / Like

Did I miss Hunter in the list? I would've thought he'd be above average if not borderline elite.
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

19. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Did I miss Hunter in the list? I would've thought he'd be above average if not borderline elite.
    That Tom Boyd bloke went ok at the end of the year, too.

We could end up with quite a few more players there by years end.

21. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

CD probably thought it was unfair to list 25+ elite/above average players on one list.

23. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood and JJ are elite in their positions, no doubt about it. I would have both in my AFL Dream back 6.

Post Thanks / Like

Elite players: Mitch Wallis, Marcus Bontempelli, Bob Murphy, Matthew Boyd, Jake Stringer, Luke Dahlhaus.

Above-average players: Tom Liberatore, Jason Johannisen, Easton Wood, Jack Macrae, Stewart Crameri, Dale Morris, Lin Jong, Tory Dickson, Liam Picken, Caleb Daniel, Marcus Adams, Clay Smith, Matt.hew Suckling
    I wouldn't have Stringer in the elite section on this year's showing. Tom Liberatore and Lachie Hunter unlucky not to be elite.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.