Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

FoxSports - GWS Giants poach Western Bulldogs football analyst as rivalry continues to grow

Not sure how much this is a lost for us and it'll be interesting to see how this will play out next season when we meet them.

I wonder how much influence a football analyst would have at a footy club and how much inside knowledge will he be taking with him?

All our game plan, strategy and inside information are now a open book to GWS?!

LINK

GREATER Western Sydney has poached Western Bulldogs football analyst Luke Kelly as the rivalry between the premiership forces continues to grow.

Kelly joins a long list of staff and players to cross between the clubs, which faced off in a preliminary final epic this season.

The Giants and Dogs are slated to meet in two Friday night blockbusters next season and, according to Champion Data, boast the strongest lists in the AFL.

Kelly is set to join the GWS as a senior performance analyst later this month after four years at Whitten Oval.

He will bring a wealth of knowledge on coach Luke Beveridge’s game plan as the AFL’s baby club hunts a flag in just its sixth season.

Kelly’s departure follows Melbourne snatching opposition analyst Craig Jennings from Beveridge’s box 12 months ago.

The Demons began to emulate some of the Dogs’ ideas this season, which became evident to some players when they met in Round 8.

The acquisition of Kelly aids the Giants’ bank of football intelligence just weeks after they beat the Dogs to superstar Brett Deledio’s signature.

Kelly will become the eighth key GWS employee to have served at the Dogs.

In their brief history the Giants have nabbed Dogs captain Ryan Griffen, emerging star Callan Ward, Sam Reid and Dylan Addison.

Senior coach Leon Cameron was also a star Dog and former assistant coach, football manager Wayne Campbell was a former assistant coach to Rodney Eade while opposition analyst Adrian Caruso worked at Whitten Oval from 2009-11.

The Dogs received No.1 pick and Grand Final hero Tom Boyd in the mega trade for Griffen and also traded in Sam Darley, who was delisted last year.

Former chief recruiter Neville Stibbard also left GWS to join the Dogs in a part-time role in 2014.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

2. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: FoxSports - GWS Giants poach Western Bulldogs football analyst as rivalry continues to grow

I guess this journalism & narrative is to be expected. I expect like Clarkson, that Bevo will continue to develop the gameplan and create new ones. So I'm not overly concerned about GWS trying to chase what we're doing in years passed.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

Re: FoxSports - GWS Giants poach Western Bulldogs football analyst as rivalry continues to grow

I hope you're right BT. According to his LinkedIn profile, he was with us for 4 years and 8 months. March 2012 – October 2016. That's a long time and he would have learned a lot about players weaknesses, especially our current playing group. Just hope that will not be the 1-2% they need in the game-day match up to get over us.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

GWS: Ok, tell us everything about the Bulldogs and how we can win like them.

LUKE KELLY: Well, first you need 60+ years of pain and heart ache to drive and inspire the club. Next, you need the best coach since Clarkson to unite the players and push them to never before seen levels of on field pressure and determination. Then add a once in a generation talent that can bend time and space to his will like Neo in the Matrix. Oh, and handball a lot.

GWS: Oh...

6. Likes choconmientay, chef, bornadog, soupman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They get 2 opposition anaysts, Cameron, Gryffon, DFA, Reid, Campbell and whoever else.

We get Tom Boyd.

We win.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeanutsPeanuts View Post
    They get 2 opposition anaysts, Cameron, Gryffon, DFA, Reid, Campbell and whoever else.

We get Tom Boyd.

We win.

And the premiership.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogtragic View Post
    I guess this journalism & narrative is to be expected. I expect like Clarkson, that Bevo will continue to develop the gameplan and create new ones. So I'm not overly concerned about GWS trying to chase what we're doing in years passed.
    That is the way I feel exactly BT.

Post Thanks / Like

If your copying the opposition your chasing.
    You need to invent your own style and game depending on list you have.
    Bring back the biff

11. Likes BornInDroopSt'54 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ledge View Post
    If your copying the opposition your chasing.
    You need to invent your own style and game depending on list you have.
    You might be learning from the opposition and working out other ways to beat them. There is nothing to suggest that it's a copy.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Imitation is the highest form of flattery. We'll continue to evolve, the IP he put together in his time with us will have to stay with us, I desperately hope we have systems with integrity that can ensure we don't lose information that will make GWS and ourselves commence from a different baseline.

Since they've come into the competition we've not had the leg-up they've had at the draft, or to secure players from other clubs. But, we've got a premiership and they don't.

I love being able to say that. My hope is the competition can pull together in a huge effort to ensure the likes of Heath Shaw, Phil Davis, Lachie Whitfield, Jeremy Cameron and Ryan Griffen don't ever experience a premiership with GWS.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Nothing to see here, move along .

Post Thanks / Like

Carlton are GWS lite, GWS are Bulldogs lite. The Western Bulldogs are premiers and the others are imitations .
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

16. Likes bulldogtragic, Sedat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Interesting development.

I was at a function,in March 2016 (late in the pre-season) after we had played a game at Craigieburn against Melbourne. Bevo made a comment that night, that Melbourne were copying our 2015 plays (and even calling them by the same names) after recruiting our analyst from 2015.

He said then, that it was of no concern as we had already moved on from those plays.

I suspect that 2017 will provide a similar outcome as we evolve.

You can never get ahead by copying what others do.
    Life is to be Enjoyed not Endured

18. Thanks The Doctor, azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Carlton are GWS lite, GWS are Bulldogs lite. The Western Bulldogs are premiers and the others are imitations .
    Tutt, Everitt, Foster from 'under us', Jones on $1,000,000 over 3 years. Plus cut GWS out as the middleman and Carlton are Western Bulldogs lite, lite, lite. Or 99% Successful Western Bulldogs free.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

We'll get Josh Kelly back next year so GWS can put that in their pipe and smoke it!

21. Likes Raw Toast liked this post