Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Luke Beveridge inspires his players to premiership glory with rousing pre-game speech

I haven't seen this posted before even though it is over a month old. I hope I haven't doubled up.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/...665b6b8890ff6d

WESTERN Bulldogs’ coach Luke Beveridge used a musical theme to inspire his young charges to premiership glory in a rousing pre-game address.

The Herald Sun can reveal the premiership coach likened the Dogs’ team to a band and urged his players to “use their instruments” in the stirring moments before they took the field in Saturday’s Grand Final triumph.

Veteran Matthew Boyd said it was one of the finest moments of Beveridge’s stunning two-year reign at the kennel.

“He just pointed at blokes and said ‘You bring your drums’ and ‘You bring your guitar’, and someone else brought a trumpet - I’m not sure if Will Minson was there with his saxophone,” Boyd told the Herald Sun.

“It was a very good one (address).

“He always takes a different angle and finds a little emotional hook somewhere along the line in the pre-game speech.

“I think that really ‘struck a chord’ with the boys - if I can use the pun - because we have got a lot of guys who like their music, and can relate a little bit to that.”

Hawthorn mastermind Alastair Clarkson famously used the “kill the shark” mantra to upset Geelong in 2008 and Brisbane legend Leigh Matthews inspired Brisbane in 2001 with the line from the movie Predator “if it bleeds, we can kill it”.

But Beveridge’s message was based on a theme of team unity and on-field potential, reminding the young Dogs anything was possible up against the more fancied Sydney Swans when they combined all of their individual talents.

It was pretty special. It’s why you play your whole life for and it’s what you dream about as a kid running out on the MCG on Grand Final day.

The stirring pre-game speech was also accompanied by a slogan written on the meeting room whiteboard, which was created by one of the Dogs’ players on a pre-season camp.

The message, which has been part of a secret theme all season for the club’s premiership heroes, said (or words to the effect) “The pain of discipline is better than the pain of disappointment”.

Boyd said the players had kept the message in-house throughout the season but made it a key focus on Grand Final day as they broke a 62-year premiership drought.

“We did a lot of good stuff in pre-season and we went to Mooloolaba for a 10-day training camp and then we went to Lorne and that was where one of the boys came up with it,” he said.

“It was very internal.

“‘Bevo’ has said a fair bit that we get our inspiration internally, not external stuff.”

The All-Australian defender has previously indicated he wants to play on next season but will consider his future with family and club officials in the next few weeks.

Boyd, 34, could retire on an exhilarating high note after previously falling short in three-straight preliminary finals between 2008-10.

The Dogs’ great said his head was still spinning on Sunday.

“It was pretty special. It’s why you play your whole life for and it’s what you dream about as a kid running out on the MCG on Grand Final day,” Boyd said.

“To get one of these premiership medallions around your neck and for it just to all come through, it’s pretty surreal at the moment.

“Hopefully it will sink in the next couple of days and I’ll absorb it all and talk to my family (about playing next season) and go from there.”

Originally published as Bevo’s speech sweet music to Dogs

2. Likes Remi Moses liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge inspires his players to premiership glory with rousing pre-game speech

Cool article, thanks for posting.

What instrument did Libba bring? I'm thinking theremin or cow bell.

4. Likes Bulldog4life liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Luke Beveridge inspires his players to premiership glory with rousing pre-game speech

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Def the Pikasso guitar

http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om23350.html

Biggs for stylophone
    But then again, I'm an Internet poster and Bevo is a premiership coach so draw your own conclusions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1eyedog View Post
    Def the Pikasso guitar

http://www.oddmusic.com/gallery/om23350.html

Biggs for stylophone
    Yeah, that works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post

Keytar for Libba - goes well with his 80's Pseudo Echo-esque hairstyle
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

8. Likes chef, azabob liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=comrade;534483]Cool article, thanks for posting.

What instrument did Libba bring? I'm thinking theremin or cow bell.[/QUOTE]

"I'm telling you guys, I need more COWBELL"!

Post Thanks / Like

If Libba was in a band he'd be the singer or the drummer.

I love the themes Bevo works on. The Golden orb spider speech he gave at the season launch was a classic. I can still remember it almost word for word even though I only ever heard it once six months ago.
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

I'd be intrigued to know who wrote:

“The pain of discipline is better than the pain of disappointment”.

Nominations?
    www.bulldogtragician.com A blog about being a lifelong fan of the Dogs and our quixotic attempt to replicate 1954. AND WE DID
    Author of "The Mighty West: the Bulldogs journey from daydream believers to premiership heroes"
    Twitter @bulldogstragic

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a Matty Boyd sentiment to me!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post

Nominations?
    I think it's a variation on a Yabby Jeansism. He says something similar to Breroton and Dippierdomenico (Dippers body is actually physically inflating because his punctured lung has nowhere else to expel the air that's coming into it, and God knows why Dermie is even alive after what Mark Yeats did to him) at 3/4 time in the '89 GF-I'd have to watch it again to get the proper quote. But it's along the lines of you'll curse yourselves in February if you don't force yourselves to do this thing now. It hurts now but it will really sting you then if we lose this.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The bulldog tragician View Post

Nominations?

tattooed on Michael Clarke's arm in Arabic. Translation above.

American business evangelist Jim Rohn has been credited with the saying, "We must all suffer one of two things: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret or disappointment"
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

15. Thanks The bulldog tragician, BornInDroopSt'54 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I think it's a variation on a Yabby Jeansism. He says something similar to Breroton and Dippierdomenico (Dippers body is actually physically inflating because his punctured lung has nowhere else to expel the air that's coming into it, and God knows why Dermie is even alive after what Mark Yeats did to him) at 3/4 time in the '89 GF-I'd have to watch it again to get the proper quote. But it's along the lines of you'll curse yourselves in February if you don't force yourselves to do this thing now. It hurts now but it will really sting you then if we lose this.
    I looked up the quote. "In every game there is going to be a crossroads and when you get to that crossroad you either step up or step down. You make that decision not me. ARE YOU PREPARED TO PAY THE PRICE, WILL YOU PAY THAT PRICE?"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    I looked up the quote. "In every game there is going to be a crossroads and when you get to that crossroad you either step up or step down. You make that decision not me. ARE YOU PREPARED TO PAY THE PRICE, WILL YOU PAY THAT PRICE?"
    Likewise Yogi Bearer said "in life if you come to a fork in the road, take it"
    Western Bulldogs: We exist to win premierships

18. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    Yes, but he also said "Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded". So you can't take old Yogi's word for gospel.

I love Yogi Berra.
    [B][COLOR="#0000CD"]Our club was born in blood and boots, not in AFL focus groups.[/COLOR][/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Greystache View Post
    My kids got me a book of Yogi Berra quotes a few birthdays back. They love it so much and I'm constantly rescuing it from one or the others room that I'm not sure whether it was it was a present for them or me.

You can observe a lot by just watching.