LINK

Susan Alberti says she can die happy after seeing Western Bulldogs premiership win
October 2, 2016 2:26pm
Eliza Sewell

WESTERN Bulldogs vice president Susan Alberti has declared she can now die happy after witnessing Saturday’s triumph.

The 69-year-old has spent a life-time supporting the Doggies and when premiership ruckman Jordan Roughead picked her up and embraced her after the final siren, the reality of the achievement set in.

“I’ve cried so much you have no idea,” Alberti said.

“This to me, I can die happy, this is a dream come true.”

She felt confident her side could win their first flag in 62 years in the third term.

“We were fitter, that’s what I believed,” she said.

“I said to my brother (Richard) they’re (the Swans) slowing down … When they came out in the third quarter and I saw Sydney were sagging a bit, I thought, we’ve got it.”

Alberti said coach Luke Beveridge had created a cohesive unit.

“They’re a fantastic group of men. They play as a team, not as individuals,” she said.

“They jell together, it’s always looking after the next player and their mate. They play for one another.

“Luke’s got them that way. They play for Luke and they play for one another.”

Alberti doesn’t drink, but she was considering having a glass last night.

“I saw Matty Boyd, he’s always been one of my favourites. Thank you, that’s all I could say was thank you,” she said.

“Roughy lifted me up and spun me around. Two years ago, no one could have got me off the ground, but they did this time. It was really nice.”