Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you Susan Alberti

LINK

Susan Alberti says she can die happy after seeing Western Bulldogs premiership win
    October 2, 2016 2:26pm
    Eliza Sewell

WESTERN Bulldogs vice president Susan Alberti has declared she can now die happy after witnessing Saturday’s triumph.

The 69-year-old has spent a life-time supporting the Doggies and when premiership ruckman Jordan Roughead picked her up and embraced her after the final siren, the reality of the achievement set in.

“I’ve cried so much you have no idea,” Alberti said.

“This to me, I can die happy, this is a dream come true.”

She felt confident her side could win their first flag in 62 years in the third term.

“We were fitter, that’s what I believed,” she said.

“I said to my brother (Richard) they’re (the Swans) slowing down … When they came out in the third quarter and I saw Sydney were sagging a bit, I thought, we’ve got it.”

Alberti said coach Luke Beveridge had created a cohesive unit.

“They’re a fantastic group of men. They play as a team, not as individuals,” she said.

“They jell together, it’s always looking after the next player and their mate. They play for one another.

“Luke’s got them that way. They play for Luke and they play for one another.”

Alberti doesn’t drink, but she was considering having a glass last night.

“I saw Matty Boyd, he’s always been one of my favourites. Thank you, that’s all I could say was thank you,” she said.

“Roughy lifted me up and spun me around. Two years ago, no one could have got me off the ground, but they did this time. It was really nice.”
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

2. Thanks josie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old news - Susan Alberti says she can die happy after seeing Western Bulldogs premiership win

Just heard on 774 that Susan retired today! Say it ain't so...

We'll miss you Susie.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Old news - Susan Alberti says she can die happy after seeing Western Bulldogs premiership win

What an outstanding contribution she's made. The club owes her a great deal.
    I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

Post Thanks / Like

What an incredible contribution she's made to our club and the amazing growth of women's football

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy'sLore View Post
    Just heard on 774 that Susan retired today! Say it ain't so...

We'll miss you Susie.
    I read the article at work. I think a lot of people would have reassessed their official position with the club after the GF win. It is a big loss but she deserves a break as she is now focusing more towards the AFLW.

Our success wouldn't be without her massive contributions. 12 years. My utmost respect for her. Thank-you very much for everything.

HS - Western Bulldogs vice-president Susan Alberti has retired after 12 years as a director at the club

MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun
    42 minutes ago
    Subscriber only

HIGH-profile Western Bulldogs vice-president Susan Alberti has retired after 12 years as a director at the Whitten Oval.

Alberti’s departure will be announced by the Dogs this week as well as a massive financial profit off the back of the club’s drought-breaking premiership triumph.

Alberti, 69, was the major driver behind the establishment of the national women’s football league and a key Bulldogs benefactor, tipping in more than $4 million of her own money.
    She declared she can now die happy after witnessing September’s Grand Final win over Sydney.

“After 12 seasons on the board, including three as vice-president, now is the right time for me to leave - on a massive high,” Alberti said this morning.

“I have supported this great club all my life, through the ups and downs, in good times and bad.

“I am proud of everything we achieved on the field this year which led to that magnificent Grand Final win.

“I am also equally proud of my contribution to the clubs healthy position. Our finances are in great shape, we have developed a strong culture and there is no reason why our on-field success won’t continue.

“I look forward to now focusing my energy in supporting the first season of AFLW, which has been a long held dream of mine.”

Alberti famously took on and beat the Footy Show in a 2009 defamation case.

She was made a life member of the Western Bulldogs last year.
    Last edited by choconmientay; 07-12-2016 at 09:29 AM.
    It always seems impossible until it's done. Nelson Mandela

Post Thanks / Like

I got to talk to Susie a couple of times this year at functions and what a lovely person to have representing our club and the contribution shes made to society should not be forgotten

She's more than earned the retirement from being a director.

How privileged have we all been to have the likes of Susan and Peter watching over our club and steering it towards a flag?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

8. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    I got to talk to Susie a couple of times this year at functions and what a lovely person to have representing our club and the contribution shes made to society should not be forgotten

She's more than earned the retirement from being a director.

How privileged have we all been to have the likes of Susan and Peter watching over our club and steering it towards a flag?
    Agree 100% G.

Post Thanks / Like

What a wonderful and effective leader of our football club on so many issues Susan Alberti has been. Our loss is the AFLW's gain. Womens football can only go ahead with people like Susan Alberti in leadership positions.

I wonder what the appointment of the new Vice President means for the internal politics of the board? Is the next VP Peter Gordon's heir apparent?
    Have you been reading those Roddy Doyle books again, Dougal!?

I have, yeah Ted, you big gobshite

Post Thanks / Like

Should we start a Thank you Susan thread? Not sure where it belongs. Anyway, Thank You Susan for being a wonderful contributor and director to our great club. Dignity, class, smart, well spoken....and a passionate Dog's Supporter. What a wonderful role model you are. Great to hear of your continued involvement in women's football too.

12. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Truly inspirational leadership by Susan. Her contribution will always be remembered.

Post Thanks / Like

Good on her. Deserves to retire a very happy person

Post Thanks / Like

Standing ovation.

Well done Susan and thank you for everything.
    Listening to Brahm's 3rd Racket

16. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Susie, you have been an inspiration to all associated with the club but especially to women's football. Enjoy your retirement as well as a few more premierships to come.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The rule about a maximum 4 terms as a director is a good rule, but it's a damn shame someone of the ilk of Susan won't be a director overseeing a dynasty she helped create. I would love to see Susan given another formal title until she no longer wants it; Number 1 Ticket Holder. I can't think of anyone currently deserving of it more, myself excepted of course.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

19. Likes Raw Toast liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Should we start a Thank you Susan thread? Not sure where it belongs. Anyway, Thank You Susan for being a wonderful contributor and director to our great club. Dignity, class, smart, well spoken....and a passionate Dog's Supporter. What a wonderful role model you are. Great to hear of your continued involvement in women's football too.
    Good call. Maybe one of the mods can change the thread title just in case a certain user comes onto the forum to read our inane chattering.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023