Thanks Thanks:  420
Likes Likes:  323
Page 9 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Events Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Events Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Not a club event but I'm attending A Night With Matthew (Boyd) & Bob tomorrow night at the Newborough Pub.
    How are Bob and Matt?
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    How are Bob and Matt?
    Was a good night. Was only a fairly small room so plenty of opportunity to get photos and signatures or have a quick chat with them.

3. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    Was a good night. Was only a fairly small room so plenty of opportunity to get photos and signatures or have a quick chat with them.
    Anything to report, any gossip?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    Anything to report, any gossip?
    Nothing really, although the open bar may have clouded my recall somewhat...

6. Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Legends & Young Guns 2017

Picken, Cordy, Jong, Dale, Cloke

This night promises to be a highlight on the calendar of any die-hard supporter.
    Special guests this year include President Peter Gordon, Vice-President Kylie Watson-Wheeler, club legends Terry Wallace, Scott West and Daniel Cross Kevin Hillier hosts the function and it will also of-fer every guest the opportunity to take home some unique prizes in the raffle.

Tickets are $75 for East-West members and $80 for guests which includes a delicious three-course meal and drinks at bar prices. To reserve your place, please call

Rhonda Caulfield on 0408 511 107. Bookings close on Monday, 24 July.

Event Details

When: Thursday, 27 July 2017 Time: 7:00pm for 7.30pm start

Where: Mulgrave Country Club, Wheelers Hill Address: Cnr Wellington & Jells Roads, Wheelers Hill
    Anyone attend last night?

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone attend last night?

I went and it was a great night. It started off with a somber moment where the EW Club president mentioned the sad passing of long time EW Club member and fund raiser David McTaggart. I can remember David being one of the first at the old Western Oval each match day selling raffle tickets for the club.

The night was hosted by Kevin Hillier.
    The 3 Young players were Tim English, Patrick Lipinski and Fergus Greene. Fergus was at my table and is a terrific and polite young man in fact all of the boys were. While at the table Fergus talked about his journey to our club from Bendigo (Played for Sandhurst) and how the 15-6 beep result at one of the secondary combine is what helped get him there. When he arrived at the club he was just 72kg but quickly lost some weight as they all tend to do with the work load they need to manage. Since his injury he has added some weight to around 75kg and will be looking to move to around 80kg next season. He showed the footage on his phone of how we hurt his wrist in a marking contest. Of course I asked him about his goal kicking (couldn't help myself ) and he mentioned that his father had a saying about keeping it simple and running in straight which he thinks has helped him. He also talked about how he watches Tory Dickson because he thinks he has the good routine.
    His biggest fear when he arrived at the club was about how he might settle but that was quickly put at ease with the way all players have treated him. He made a particular mention on how he had to spend some time with Dale Morris and Matthew Boyd and how they made him feel like a big part of the club.

Hillier interviewed the 3 boys and they all spoke so well. English has moved into a place by himself and admits between training, cooking and cleaning his biggest relaxation hobby is sleeping. Greene is with a host family and really enjoys it and I think he and Lewis Young make sure they go to a movie each week on their day off.

Jamie Maddocks our Opposition and Development coach was next and he provided a terrific overview of his role of scouting the opposition teams starting as much as 4 weeks before the play that side. He started scouting Essendon 3 weeks ago. He also talked about his development role under Rohan Smith and his work with the handball club. Informative interview without giving too much away

Next up were President Peter Gordon and Vice President Kylie Watson-Wheeler. This was another good interview which of course touched on last years premiership and the progress the club has made in debt reduction and growing the club. They also talked about the number of initiatives the club has undertaken in recent years.

Lastly we had the 3 Legends interviewed and I was particularly keen to hear from them.

Scott West talked about his playing days and how he now does a lot of work with coaches at the local footy level. He also talked about his coaching at Werribee and as an assistant coach at Melbourne where he indicated a level of frustration with the whey that club was going at the time. He mention that he thought he could have really helped the club if he had stayed on for another season and seemed to genuinely believe he could have made a difference for us particularly at the end of the season. He talked about his son Rhylee and his football plus gave a very humorous account how both of them sat near Libba senior at the GF and how he was very tempted to call security to have him removed because he couldn't shut up Scott has an excellent sense of humour to go along with his more serious side.
    Scott's back doing landscape gardening in a business that does it mainly for major events like the Grand Prix and Cauflied races etc

Daniel Cross still very much felt like a part of the premiership celebrations despite finishing off his football and now coaching at Melbourne. Cross still has a great love for our club.

The highlight for me was Terry Wallace back at club for his first real club function. He still loves the club in a big way and I think he was relieved to finally be officially welcomed back. Plough was very informative, funny and most of all honest with his stories about his time at the club.

I met another WOOF forum member there and I hope she adds to my comments on the night.

I've left out heaps so I will try and add to it a bit later
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the great write up GVG. Pleased to hear Crossy and Terry back in the fold.

I know that NBP went along as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Cheers GVGjr, sounds like a great night. My mate sat next to Crossy at the GF, (he happened to be in the seat next to him with his wife). Said he was a terrific bloke to talk to. Cross declared at 3/4 time we would win. I believe he was in the rooms after the game as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Great wrap up GVGjr and lovely to meet you. Tickled please that I have had pleasure of meeting one of woof founders. A true gentleman indeed.

I recall English and Lipinski saying they love a sleep in on non- training days. All three young 'uns said other players older and younger welcoming from get go. English suffering from cold weather however loves opportunity Dogs have given him to fulfill his dream and the professional environment.

Lipinski told funny story about Dalrymple visiting his families my home ( cannot recall if it was prior to him being drafted or after) where his mum showed photo of him as 6 yo dressed up in his Dogs jumper - much to his embarrassment. Lipinski taking uni year off however will (re)start commerce degree next year. Likes catching up with mates in downtime. He has a week or two before he is back in consideration for vfl.

West obviously very proud of his footy playing sons incl Rhylee (who I think most of us know is a v likely to be picked up by us). Said he would love to see sons play in same jumper number as father for the romance of it however understands they want to make their own way. Great story by Hellier about how West would run from wo to skinner reserve in his 1st yr and how seniors would laugh then more players started joining west when they realised standard he set was raising the bar for all.

Crossy noted wo facilities were pretty bad when he was first recruited. Also chuffed with grand final win, as was West and Plough. Crossy said '09 prelim hurt a lot.

Was great to see plough back and be so welcomed. He made point that although he won 3 premierships with hawks he spent considerably more years at Dogs (16 at Dogs and something like 6 or 9 at hawks) and that he and his son happily wore Dogs scarf at granny. He saw all 4 of our finals last year and was stoked for all the fans. Said '97 prelim still hurts and he thinks of it every day. Was interesting to hear how he struggled to get a game in junior days and how he had to catch 2 buses fr templestowe to Preston (or coburg) to get a game. When hawks did recruit him though it was a whirlwind and drew analogy with Dunkley about playing in winning grand final in his first year of seniors.

Green was well spoken, amiable chap. I asked about how closely they monitor diet and he said club gives guidance but are not intrusive and there is trust element to it.

Great to hear Peter Gordon and vp Kylie Watson wheeler speak. She made it very clear how important Gordo was and how much unseen work and contributions he does. Also spoke of motto/value of our club as having an "inner strength" to see through adverse times. Gordo spoke of various spread of professional expertise in our board. We are clearly in capable and passionate hands. Kylie told story of fightback campaign where she was only allowed to attend wo if she took her homework along. Still recalls Gordon speaking eloquently and determinedly about saving our club. Mission been fantastic, allowing Mercedes Benz trucks to share sponsorship limelight from 2018, Gordon had to fly to Mexico to smooth the way with Juan, the head of mission.

Great night, everyone friendly and well run. Food was pretty good especially considering it was really bulk catering. My 2nd year and will try and go every year as very informative and enjoyable.

Post Thanks / Like

Great reports GVGjr and josie. Sounds like it was a great evening.
    "Footscray people are incredible people; so humble. I'm just so happy - ecstatic"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eastdog View Post
    Great reports GVGjr and josie. Sounds like it was a great evening.
    This was a great night and I add my thanks to the excellent reports by GVGjr and Josie. A great group of supporters traveling as far afield as Gippsland to the Mulgrave Country Club. Enjoyed meeting personally the 3 new young guns in English Lipinski and Greene who are all quality young people. Scott West and Daniel Cross were both given a rousing reception. Scott made reference to his 17 yo now at St. Kevin's, being the eldest of his 4 sons and hopeful of wearing the red white and blue. Former players in attendance were John Schultz Ray Walker Ross Abbey and Graham Joslin.
    Peter Gordon's speech was highlighted by his reference to the WB due to the AFL's changes to its revenues distribution now being in its best financial position ever assisted by our record membership of 47,000. The East West Club is the oldest existing coterie group at our Club and they do a great job.

15. Thanks bornadog, GVGjr, josie, HOSE B ROMERO thanked for this post
    Likes Eastdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuggety Back Pocket View Post
    This was a great night and I add my thanks to the excellent reports by GVGjr and Josie. A great group of supporters traveling as far afield as Gippsland to the Mulgrave Country Club. Enjoyed meeting personally the 3 new young guns in English Lipinski and Greene who are all quality young people. Scott West and Daniel Cross were both given a rousing reception. Scott made reference to his 17 yo now at St. Kevin's, being the eldest of his 4 sons and hopeful of wearing the red white and blue. Former players in attendance were John Schultz Ray Walker Ross Abbey and Graham Joslin.
    Peter Gordon's speech was highlighted by his reference to the WB due to the AFL's changes to its revenues distribution now being in its best financial position ever assisted by our record membership of 47,000. The East West Club is the oldest existing coterie group at our Club and they do a great job.
    Ross Abbey is pretty active with the past players group and does a great job to keep in touch with all of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Forgot to mention this tit bit. Critics have no idea what players bring to clubs...Young Greene mentioned how great Cloke had been to him (and our other young forwards) in sharing all his knowledge of forward craft in a very unselfish, team first way. I really like Cloke and this made me like him even more. Hope he can stay on the park as i reckon he can add so much to us as a roving marking target if he is in form.

18. Thanks azabob thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by josie View Post
    Forgot to mention this tit bit. Critics have no idea what players bring to clubs...Young Greene mentioned how great Cloke had been to him (and our other young forwards) in sharing all his knowledge of forward craft in a very unselfish, team first way. I really like Cloke and this made me like him even more. Hope he can stay on the park as i reckon he can add so much to us as a roving marking target if he is in form.
    We need an experienced guy like Cloke to help up forward. The back line is covered with Morris and Murp, so some wisdom from Cloke will help the younger guys.