Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  33
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rule changes for 2017

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsthru&thru View Post
    For mine, the rule should just be binned. I never saw an issue with the 3rd man up. But if you are going to recommend fixes, have the foresight to know the exact repercussions of it.
    come on now that would require actually thinking and not just acting on the spur of the moment.

And to the rest of your post, yes that would be a huge problem. The only "fix" if they must stick with the stupid rule is that they treat every ball up and throw in like the centre bounce where the umpire slows down the game to require that the 2 ruckmen are directly opposed to each other.

2. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The third man up rule was fine, this fix is flawed, although tbf it does achieve what it sets out to do. Just rather clumsily.

I've never seen the issue with the third man up impacting the ruck contest as such, they aren't dangerous and they can help clear congestion. The only annoying part of having them is when they get bullshit frees.

I would allow third men up again, but if you are doing it then the opposition can block or push you so that you don't impact the contest. The worst part of third man up has always been the pathetic frees they get because their run is impeded. Remove that penalty and it works I think.
    I should leave it alone but you're not right

4. Likes bulldogsthru&thru liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post
    The third man up rule was fine, this fix is flawed, although tbf it does achieve what it sets out to do. Just rather clumsily.

I've never seen the issue with the third man up impacting the ruck contest as such, they aren't dangerous and they can help clear congestion. The only annoying part of having them is when they get bullshit frees.

I would allow third men up again, but if you are doing it then the opposition can block or push you so that you don't impact the contest. The worst part of third man up has always been the pathetic frees they get because their run is impeded. Remove that penalty and it works I think.
    Yes. This is absolutely the way to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by soupaman View Post

Agreed. I'd go one step further and stop paying any infringements in the ruck completely. Just let the two big men go at it, and if a 3rd man up also tries to influence the contest, his direct opponent can block/defend.

I ****ing hate ruck free kicks.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Well the AFL met and surprise surprise, there is nothing wrong with the banned 3rd man up or the deliberate OOB rules.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.