Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  33
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rule changes for 2017

If they want proof that it helps congestion they should watch qtrs 2 and 3 of the Hawks final.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    If they want proof that it helps congestion they should watch qtrs 2 and 3 of the Hawks final.
    Oh well, If I have to watch it again for bloody research then I suppose I have no choice.
    It's better to die on our feet than live on our knees.

3. Likes Topdog, Sedat, boydogs, Throughandthrough liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SlimPickens View Post
    Toby McLeans free kicks for just dropped dramatically.
    Simple,go the other way. Tackle players around the Neck,shoulder and say he ducked into it.

More stupidity by the AFL. Umpires have to try and work out the right decision. I can see some one getting their head knocked off and the umpire calling play on.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

5. Likes G-Mo77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm taking a glass half full approach to this idiotic rule change - we just drafted the best junior ruckman in the country who happens to be 205cms tall. I'm quite sure he would have gone well inside the top 10 of the draft had this rule change been confirmed 2 months ago.

As for Bont, I think he'll be able to cope
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

How long before the AFL introduces a tip off, Basketball style?

Post Thanks / Like

Staging for frees I'm not fond of but this change makes it even harder for the ump to judge.

3rd man up was a good way to clear congestion. Look at more rolling stoppages another great way to make football more exciting.

Stomach punches only now being penalised harshly? Pat yourselves on the back guys. It took you 20+ years to make a decision on this. Bravo.

Stricter interpretation of rushed behinds. Well done for using another grey pencil to colour our game.

Sorry for the excess sarcasm guys and gals.

9. Likes bulldogtragic liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post
    Staging for frees I'm not fond of but this change makes it even harder for the ump to judge.

3rd man up was a good way to clear congestion. Look at more rolling stoppages another great way to make football more exciting.

Stomach punches only now being penalised harshly? Pat yourselves on the back guys. It took you 20+ years to make a decision on this. Bravo.

Stricter interpretation of rushed behinds. Well done for using another grey pencil to colour our game.

Sorry for the excess sarcasm guys and gals.
    This time of the year I am cool about it:

FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats happened to proposed rule changes being trialed in the Preseason competition?

I don't mind rules being changed if it's supported by facts but clubs need to assess the impact of these changes and be able to trade and draft accordingly if it has the potential to change the way they play.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

12. Likes hujsh liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Whats happened to proposed rule changes being trialed in the Preseason competition?

I don't mind rules being changed if it's supported by facts but clubs need to assess the impact of these changes and be able to trade and draft accordingly if it has the potential to change the way they play.
    It's not practical to wait 15 years until Tim English retires before implementing rule changes without impacting on the careers of existing players. But that is a great reason not to change the rules unless it is really necessary
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G-Mo77 View Post

Don't see the reason for this at all. The initial change got rid of the Patrick Bowden bullshit and has had little other impact on the game aside from supporters expecting more free kicks because people are stupid. It was one of the few good changes with little to no side effects.

Post Thanks / Like

Discussing this at work and someone brought up the ppint about the big lumbering ruck could find a return with the rule change. I see a lot more stoppages with the 3rd up abolished so is there room for one now? Would a guy like Wil Minson found a home if the rules were changed before all list lodgments were made? Would he have stayed on our list?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post

Because that makes too much sense G. We can't have that.

Post Thanks / Like

I know we're all a titch more positive about things than we usually are at this time of year, but am I the only one who thinks three major aspects of our strategy, seemingly under the microscope for immediate change, form the basis of the major rule review this year?

Let's face it, the rushed behind rule - unless the umpires become bigger sadists than they already seem to be - is probably low hanging fruit for the AFEL, but the lowering centre of gravity/dropping the knees into a tackle, quick hands and third man up are clearly targeted towards the way we play.

As a tackler there are options, you can tackle just above the knee or just below the shoulders. Each tackling scenario has different outcomes or risk profiles. Go too low, you're called for a trip, go to high you're called for an over the shoulder free kick - so the low risk option is to tackle the middle. Essentially the AFL is now taking away the risk profile a tackler has in attacking the upper body with this rule change. Why should a player not be able to shift his centre of gravity lower to counter someone aiming a tackle high on their body?

The most stupid thing about it is, by making it easier to tackle the upper body you're more likely to see more balls locked in within the tackle because arms aren't free, resulting in more congestion providing they don't mess around with prior opportunity rules (just wait for that to be next on the list).

I'm really surprised umpires need assistance with interpreting what a fair handball is too, I mean, is this an admission that handballing rules had been relaxed over recent times to speed up the game, and once again, avoid congestion? If that is the case, why the changes, have we really taken the piss or is someone just really pissed we've taken advantage of the interpretation as it has stood for a while and mastered the craft accordingly?

The third man up change is ridiculous, this was a clear advantage to us at different times this year and I can't think of any logical reason (big man longevity in the game aside........please, give me a break) for the change. Why would we do it if it didn't get it out in the open?

Someone at AFL House is pissed and we'd be wearing the brunt of it if we were going to play the same way as we did in 2016. The silver lining is we won't be.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

18. Thanks GVGjr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Jeemak - a player can still lower their centre of gravity to avoid a tackler. They just don't get a free if that is what made the tackle high. I can see McLean still doing it to evade tackles successfully
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeemak View Post
    I know we're all a titch more positive about things than we usually are at this time of year, but am I the only one who thinks three major aspects of our strategy, seemingly under the microscope for immediate change, form the basis of the major rule review this year?

Let's face it, the rushed behind rule - unless the umpires become bigger sadists than they already seem to be - is probably low hanging fruit for the AFEL, but the lowering centre of gravity/dropping the knees into a tackle, quick hands and third man up are clearly targeted towards the way we play.

As a tackler there are options, you can tackle just above the knee or just below the shoulders. Each tackling scenario has different outcomes or risk profiles. Go too low, you're called for a trip, go to high you're called for an over the shoulder free kick - so the low risk option is to tackle the middle. Essentially the AFL is now taking away the risk profile a tackler has in attacking the upper body with this rule change. Why should a player not be able to shift his centre of gravity lower to counter someone aiming a tackle high on their body?

The most stupid thing about it is, by making it easier to tackle the upper body you're more likely to see more balls locked in within the tackle because arms aren't free, resulting in more congestion providing they don't mess around with prior opportunity rules (just wait for that to be next on the list).

I'm really surprised umpires need assistance with interpreting what a fair handball is too, I mean, is this an admission that handballing rules had been relaxed over recent times to speed up the game, and once again, avoid congestion? If that is the case, why the changes, have we really taken the piss or is someone just really pissed we've taken advantage of the interpretation as it has stood for a while and mastered the craft accordingly?

The third man up change is ridiculous, this was a clear advantage to us at different times this year and I can't think of any logical reason (big man longevity in the game aside........please, give me a break) for the change. Why would we do it if it didn't get it out in the open?

Someone at AFL House is pissed and we'd be wearing the brunt of it if we were going to play the same way as we did in 2016. The silver lining is we won't be.
    Yep. If we play the same way we did last year we will be losing games regardless of the lousy umpiring
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.