Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  33
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rule changes for 2017

Quote Originally Posted by aker39 View Post
    As I have an earpiece in listening to the umpires, I can tell you that at every field bounce the umpire asks who is in the ruck so that they can make sure they keep 1m (??) apart.

What about when there is a melee and the umpire throws the ball up to get the players apart? Or is that why you said field bounce?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

As I have an earpiece in listening to the umpires, I can tell you that at every field bounce the umpire asks who is in the ruck so that they can make sure they keep 1m (??) apart.
    Thanks A39, I wasn't sure. To counter the ruck could just do what the 3rd man up does and that is to tap the ball over the pack and not try and find his midfielder at his feet.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for confirming. I'm surprised that it's seems to have been a quiet rule as such with not many knowing.

Do you know if it's been in for a couple of seasons now?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    Thanks for confirming. I'm surprised that it's seems to have been a quiet rule as such with not many knowing.

Do you know if it's been in for a couple of seasons now?
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

5. Thanks jeemak, bornadog thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    A friend of mine has a theory that when teams win a flag that they weren't rally expect to typically (not all the time) they have done it because they exploited the rules better than other sides and he told me straight after the GF that rules would be changed to curb our success or at least test it further.

He cited 3 rules that the AFL would explore.
    1) Our quick handballs that appear to be more of a throw
    2) The 3rd man up role that Bontempelli and Jong exploited better than most
    3) Players dropping to their knees and getting free kicks and in his words specifically highlighted McLean

He mentioned that the coaches will speak to the AFL and sow the seeds for a review and I think he's probably close to being right on the money and it has me concerned on if we will be be quick enough to adapt.

Lets hope we make the necessary changes.
    Really interesting insight, thanks.

I think these are changes which may benefit us, as whilst I expected we'd make improvements to what we do to stay ahead of the pack, this forces our hand to review and adapt our game plan. From what little we've heard about our pre-season so far, it seems a focus on quick ball movement through the corridor is going to be the cornerstone.

Given our improvements in the forward half with our marking capabilities, our defensive ability to zone as a team and versatile players, along with the expectation other teams may be liking to implement similar plans, we'll maintain our competitive edge.

Post Thanks / Like

We're not the first premiership team to be targeted in the following year's rule changes. Hawthorn were the master of the deliberate rushed behind in 2008 so that they could reload and use their superior foot skills to slice up the opposition - from memory they conceded over 10 rushed behinds in that GF, and the following year the deliberate rushed behind rule came into operation.

I'm sure we already have adjusted and adapted to make allowances for the new changes. Our drafting and trading in the post-season certainly reflect that.
    "Look at me mate. Look at me. I'm flyin'"

Post Thanks / Like

'Third man up' rule means no more ruck surprises

TEAMS will need to nominate a ruckman at each contest to allow umpires to adjudicate the new 'third man up' rule introduced this season.New AFL umpires boss Peter Schwab said getting a player to raise their hand might be the simplest way for each ruckman to indicate his intention to contest the hit-out, but the practicalities were still being resolved.

"We will ask them to nominate," Schwab said.
    "[A] show of hand might be the easiest way and if they don't then the umpires are going to have to quickly say [you and you] like the old school yard."
    He conceded there might be some teething problems with issues such as two players from the same team nominating as the ruckman at the same contest, but ways to handle those matters would be clarified over time.

"We expect the clubs will be very helpful with us on that and we shouldn't have too many problems," Schwab said.
    Banning the third man up at ruck contests was the most contentious rule introduced during the off-season, with senior players voicing their disapproval and some coaches questioning whether change was necessary.

However Schwab said the desire to protect the role of the ruckman and evidence that clearances from congestion weren't improving when a third man became involved in the contest was enough for the AFL Commission to approve the change.
    In 2017, a player will not be penalised for high contact if the tackle is reasonable and his opponent with the ball is deemed to have initiated the high contact.
    Umpires will also interpret the deliberate rushed behinds rule more strictly.
    Players will be deemed to have deliberately rushed a behind if they have clear possession and the chance to dispose of it, or they are outside the goal square when rushing the behind.

"We'll work on fact," Schwab said.
    "We know there is perceived pressure with players but the umpire will look at it and say 'well I think the player had a lot of time to do something and elected to take it over'."

If a player breaches during the JLT Community Series, a ball-up will occur just outside the goal square. Previously, a deliberate rushed behind led to a free kick to the opposition directly in front of goal.
    Schwab said interpreting high contact was more subjective but the umpires knew the intent of the rule.
    "If the player's legitimate attempt to tackle appears to be correct and the high contact is caused by the player ducking into the tackle, dropping his knees or trying to shrug it off then it will be a play-on call," he said.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Jungle drums are beating that the ridiculous third man up rule will be scrapped post a review following round six.

Good news for us, I'd have thought... Also a victory for common sense..

10. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    Jungle drums are beating that the ridiculous third man up rule will be scrapped post a review following round six.

Good news for us, I'd have thought... Also a victory for common sense..
    It's a shambles. We had Libba rucking against Sandi with Tom Campbell standing there like a shag on a rock.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

12. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Its been a disaster for the game on a lot of fronts. Stupid situations like Libba Rucking against Sandilands. And in the Richmond Collingwood game the other week when Shaun Grigg got a free for blocking because he nominated for the ruck and his opponent was between him and the ruck contest. Grigg was miles away from the ruck contest at the time. Stuff like that doesn't help.
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Like it or not (and I don't) but surely they AFL won't change the rule mid season?
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

Would be awesome if they changed it. Not only are we poor at ruck contests but we are also elite at using 3rd ruck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    It's a shambles. We had Libba rucking against Sandi with Tom Campbell standing there like a shag on a rock.
    You can't blame the rule for that. Either we weren't organised, or we did it as a surprise tactic, which we could have done under last years rules
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

It's clear coaches have forced the issue with instruction at times for likely ruck players not to nominate at certain contests. Whether they've colluded or not is hard to tell.

This will go down as possibly the biggest *!*!*!*! up by city hall in terms of reactionary rules to curb a particular playing style ever. The stupid dickheads at AFL House saw a team they didn't want to changing the game to their benefit and they've reacted to harshly.
    Nobody's looking for a puppeteer in today's wintry economic climate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    You can't blame the rule for that. Either we weren't organised, or we did it as a surprise tactic, which we could have done under last years rules
    I doubt having our best defensive and contested mid at 180cm rucking against a 210cm giant was a planned move.

Like every team has experienced at least once this year, we got caught out. Libba was standing next to Sandi & didn't see Campbell, umpire asked for nominated ruckman and so Libba just stuck his hand up leaving Campbell to just be a liability on the ground. We weren't organised properly but this nomination thing is woeful.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.