Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  33
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rule changes for 2017

The only rule I ever remember them changing mid season was an automatic 50m penalty for a report.

It was in 2000 and I think it got changed over half way through the season.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    I doubt having our best defensive and contested mid at 180cm rucking against a 210cm giant was a planned move.

Like every team has experienced at least once this year, we got caught out. Libba was standing next to Sandi & didn't see Campbell, umpire asked for nominated ruckman and so Libba just stuck his hand up leaving Campbell to just be a liability on the ground. We weren't organised properly but this nomination thing is woeful.
    Where was Jong when he was needed?
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

The rule had whiskers on it from the outset .
    There to be exploited with the nominating of a ruckman .

Post Thanks / Like

Every rule change, interpretation, changes our wonderful game. The AFL are hell bent on ruining the game.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Its been a disaster for the game on a lot of fronts. Stupid situations like Libba Rucking against Sandilands. And in the Richmond Collingwood game the other week when Shaun Grigg got a free for blocking because he nominated for the ruck and his opponent was between him and the ruck contest. Grigg was miles away from the ruck contest at the time. Stuff like that doesn't help.
    It's because they're always reactive with their changes. Someone finds a tatic, ie: third man up, rushed behind. Lets ban it. They don't think what could happen next. Coaches will find an exploit so instead of changing rules why not let coaches work out a counter for it?

They're to stubborn to say we stuffed this up so we'll have to live with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    You can't blame the rule for that. Either we weren't organised, or we did it as a surprise tactic, which we could have done under last years rules
    No we couldnt do that under last years rules. It was a tactic to try and win a free kick via confusion.

Post Thanks / Like

Collingwood were using 3rd man up in 1990. Thats what staggers me, this wasnt something new.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    Collingwood were using 3rd man up in 1990. Thats what staggers me, this wasnt something new.
    It's the most ridiculous rule change I can recall. Third man up has been going on for donkeys years at all levels of footy and the only harm I can see from it is ruckmen copping the occasional knee in the back. If anything it helped clear congestion so I am totally confused as to the purpose of the rule change. What were they trying to achieve? There was no issue but now they have created one!

9. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Axe Man View Post
    It's the most ridiculous rule change I can recall. Third man up has been going on for donkeys years at all levels of footy and the only harm I can see from it is ruckmen copping the occasional knee in the back. If anything it helped clear congestion so I am totally confused as to the purpose of the rule change. What were they trying to achieve? There was no issue but now they have created one!
    Yes indeed and this was very well highlighted in our final vs Hawthorn

Post Thanks / Like

The line splitting the centre circle was brought in to stop ruckmen just wrestling at the centre bounce (Dempsey & Keenan from memory) - because everyone wants to see ruckmen run and jump - not wrestle. This is a fact.

The third man up ban was brought in so as to prevent ruckmen being "picked off" or kneed in the back etc.

However by banning the third man up, ruckmen will move back to wrestling - as it was the threat of a third man up which actually encouraged them to run and jump!..... And thus, not wrestle!

There will always be ruckmen in the game as, if used properly, the 6ft 8in player is a big asset to a footy side. A crucial mismatch. There is no need to set rules for everything. Simplicity is good. Remove the rule!

Post Thanks / Like

The problem is the rolling maul banning the third man up has created.
    After multiple stoppages mids tend to cluster closer to the ruck contest, so a big third man up would belt the ball away and clear it out, reducing congestion.

Under the rules this year we are seeing much more congestion. The AFL need to admit they've screwed it up here.
    Western Bulldogs: 2016 Premiers

13. Likes Topdog liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mofra View Post
    The problem is the rolling maul banning the third man up has created.
    After multiple stoppages mids tend to cluster closer to the ruck contest, so a big third man up would belt the ball away and clear it out, reducing congestion.

Under the rules this year we are seeing much more congestion. The AFL need to admit they've screwed it up here.
    The day that happens you'll see pigs flying around in the sky.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Webby View Post
    The line splitting the centre circle was brought in to stop ruckmen just wrestling at the centre bounce (Dempsey & Keenan from memory) - because everyone wants to see ruckmen run and jump - not wrestle. This is a fact.

The third man up ban was brought in so as to prevent ruckmen being "picked off" or kneed in the back etc.

However by banning the third man up, ruckmen will move back to wrestling - as it was the threat of a third man up which actually encouraged them to run and jump!..... And thus, not wrestle!

There will always be ruckmen in the game as, if used properly, the 6ft 8in player is a big asset to a footy side. A crucial mismatch. There is no need to set rules for everything. Simplicity is good. Remove the rule!
    Not unless it was an intra club practice match because Dempsey and Keenan both played for North at the time. It was Peter Moore and Gary Dempsey constantly pushing each other over and away from the ball at boundary throw ins in the 1979 (I think) Collingwood v North semi final.

It got to the really silly stage where they'd push or pull each other over and nobody would be able to contest the throw in because two huge ruckmen were lying on the ground a metre away from where the ball bounced.

And don't most defenders get picked off and kneed in the back when a forward takes a big hanger? Why don't we ban them while we are at it?
    They say Burt Lancaster has one, but I don't believe them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Twodogs View Post
    Not unless it was an intra club practice match because Dempsey and Keenan both played for North at the time. It was Peter Moore and Gary Dempsey constantly pushing each other over and away from the ball at boundary throw ins in the 1979 (I think) Collingwood v North semi final.

It got to the really silly stage where they'd push or pull each other over and nobody would be able to contest the throw in because two huge ruckmen were lying on the ground a metre away from where the ball bounced.

And don't most defenders get picked off and kneed in the back when a forward takes a big hanger? Why don't we ban them while we are at it?
    Nah, Dempsey's move to Norf prompted Crackers being packed off to Windy Hill. When you buy a Merc, you scrap the Daihatsu! They were never teammates at Norf, but did play against each other quite a bit.

Nonetheless, Moore and Dempsey does ring a bell.
    Last edited by Webby; 13-04-2017 at 07:15 PM.

17. Likes Twodogs liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Topdog View Post
    No we couldnt do that under last years rules. It was a tactic to try and win a free kick via confusion.
    Nothing was stopping Libba taking a ruck contest last year. Perhaps you're right about trying to get a free for shepherding the ruck though
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff