Thanks Thanks:  6
Likes Likes:  33
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rule changes for 2017

Quote Originally Posted by GVGjr View Post
    The competition pays a high price because of the shortsighted way the AFL changed the rules.
    GVGjr, it is the same with every rule change. As I have said before we have a bunch of ex1980s playes on the rules committee who want to change rules to make the game look like their own glory days.

It will never ever happen so don't change what we have.
    FFC: Established 1883

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bornadog View Post
    GVGjr, it is the same with every rule change. As I have said before we have a bunch of ex1980s playes on the rules committee who want to change rules to make the game look like their own glory days.

It will never ever happen so don't change what we have.
    I'm not sure I agree fully with this. Some changes are good. In this instance they should have tested things more and given the clubs 12 months to potentially rework their playing list.

At the moment it's genuinely become confusing to the players on the ground and the umpires are getting the decisions wrong. The intention was probably pretty good but it's been implemented way too quickly.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

At today's game at the MCG the umpires were making a concerted effort to make the players aware as to who had nominated for the ruck, calling their names out loudly 2 to 3 times.
    For those who were always the underdogs and wore it as a badge of honour.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure I agree fully with this. Some changes are good. In this instance they should have tested things more and given the clubs 12 months to potentially rework their playing list.

At the moment it's genuinely become confusing to the players on the ground and the umpires are getting the decisions wrong. The intention was probably pretty good but it's been implemented way too quickly.
    Name one change that is good and was not already in the rule book

Premierships: AFL 1954, 2016 VFA - 1898,99,1900, 1908, 1913, 1919-20, 1923-24, VFL: 2014, 2016 . Champions of Victoria 1924. AFLW - 2018.

Post Thanks / Like

Name one change that is good and was not already in the rule book
    The centre square and the centre circle. Chopping of the arms, concussion rule, recalling bad bounces in the centre square, the automatic play on from a point scored rather than waiting for the umpire to finishes waving the flags, deliberate tripping, tripping laws

Not every rule change is a bad one. We do way too many but some of them do fix problems and make the game safe.
    Western Bulldogs Football Club "Where it's cool to drool"

Post Thanks / Like

The centre square and the centre circle. Chopping of the arms, concussion rule, recalling bad bounces in the centre square, the automatic play on from a point scored rather than waiting for the umpire to finishes waving the flags, deliberate tripping, tripping laws

Not every rule change is a bad one. We do way too many but some of them do fix problems and make the game safe.
    I have no problem with enforcing rules that protect players, especially the head, however, those laws have always been there, but not enforced in the past. Concussion one is also very good. I will concede the Centre square was a good idea, however, Chopping arms, automatic play on after a point are debatable. Tripping has always been against the rules, and in fact has been softened. I remember Jimmy Krakouer getting suspended for many weeks for a deliberate trip.

There are changes in the past 10 years that are just ridiculous, like deliberate out of bounds. Yesterday a player in the Melb v Freo match had a shot for goal and missed completely, and it was deemed deliberate. Many times there is a mis kick and the ball goes out and the umpire gives a free kick. The reason the deliberate OOB came in is now lost. We may as well get rid of boundary umpires, which some are pushing for.

I see nothing wrong with deliberately conceding a point, although the Joel Bowden stepping over the line several times was not a good look and the knee jerk reaction by the AFL was the catalyst for the rule change. This year they have gone too far with the interpretation.

I didn't see anything wrong with the ruckman taking the ball out of the air in a ball up, but once that was stopped, 3rd man came into play, and now that is also a farce.

The taking out of the legs has also changed the game, all due to one unfortunate incident. Many of the frees are just pure farcical, when you see some one at the bottom of the pack going for the ball and the player falls over them. The Scotty Wests, The Williams, and Terry Wallaces would not have survived if that rule was in play in their day.

I could go on and on, and all those rules do is to change the game, and frustrate supporters, players and make the umpires job very difficult.

7. Likes ratsmac liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

A lot of the rule changes are related to time wasting tactics. 50 years ago it was bad sportsmanship and dishonourable, nowadays any advantage a team can take they will

This goes for rushed behind, dragging the ball in holding the ball, deliberate out of bounds, minimum kicking distance for a mark, ruck taps out of bounds on the full, kickout out of bounds without being touched, 30 second shots for goal

I'm waiting for them to bring in play on from a mark when it's kicked backwards next
    Last edited by boydogs; 17-04-2017 at 02:18 AM.
    If you kicked five goals and Tom Boyd kicked five goals, Tom Boyd kicked more goals than you.

Formerly gogriff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by boydogs View Post
    A lot of the rule changes are related to time wasting tactics. 50 years ago it was bad sportsmanship and dishonourable, nowadays any advantage a team can take they will

This goes for rushed behind, dragging the ball in holding the ball, deliberate out of bounds, minimum kicking distance for a mark, ruck taps out of bounds on the full, kickout out of bounds without being touched

I'm waiting for them to bring in play on from a mark when it's kicked backwards next
    That was trialled in the VFL for a season or two. Didn't really seem to work. So on that basis, the AFEL will do it.
    Rocket Science: the epitaph for the Beveridge era - whenever it ends - reading 'Here lies a team that could beat anyone on its day, but seldom did when it mattered most'. 15/7/2023

Post Thanks / Like

10 metre exclusion Zone out the window - really the AFL has no credibility.

Post Thanks / Like

10 metre exclusion Zone out the window - really the AFL has no credibility.
    I'm glad that has eased off. Hate that rule.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Has there been a formal announcement or just based on what you see being called?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Dogs View Post
    Has there been a formal announcement or just based on what you see being called?
    No formal announcement I'm pretty sure, it just rarely gets called anymore. Remember when it was first introduced? Some of the stupidest 50m penalties you'll ever see.
    Our 1954 premiership players are our heroes, and it has to be said that Charlie was their hero.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by comrade View Post
    No formal announcement I'm pretty sure, it just rarely gets called anymore. Remember when it was first introduced? Some of the stupidest 50m penalties you'll ever see.
    Yep that is what is happening. The AFEL change things then don't enforce it. No wonder supporters get pissed off with umpiring and stupid rule changes.
    Last edited by bornadog; 19-04-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't mind the rule changes re: interchange v substitutes etc. Rules that force attrition and the use of the entire squad are palatable to me. Its the stuff relating to actual skills of the game, or trying to predetermine the look of a contest that really irritate me.

Post Thanks / Like

One thing that has left me bewildered after the good friday game has been how media commentators and, even harder to believe, AFL coaches (Scott brothers) who are so shot sighted and unaware of how ruck contests work. There has been so many suggestions to fix the 3rd man up rule by simply removing the nomination process and awarding a free kick against any player who jumps 3rd man up at a ruck contest. It bewilders me how someone in charge of coaching an AFL team cannot think of the problems this would cause. Removing the nomination process would mean players having no idea who can be blocked at the ruck contest. This would lead to potential ruckmen being blocked and either a free kick at every ruck contest, or if no free for obstruction is called, dead ruck contests at every ball-up or throw-in. I heard this as a potential fix so many times i began to question whether i knew the rules of the game anymore! But thankfully Alan Richardson came out and spoke of the exact same problem with this so called 'fix'. Sometimes you expect that those in the game know more about what's going on than us couch experts. But lately it hasn't felt like this at all.

For mine, the rule should just be binned. I never saw an issue with the 3rd man up. But if you are going to recommend fixes, have the foresight to know the exact repercussions of it.

17. Likes bornadog, Topdog liked this post